Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Post-crash recovery
Quote | Reply
I crashed my bike about a month ago - hitting an unmarked sinkhole going downhill about 23 mph. I am very lucky that nothing was broken (me or the bike). Just an AC joint sprain in my shoulder and a ton of road rash. My hip has been slow to recover (IT band issues I suspect) but with covid, no chance for a massage. So I am still not able to run.

However, I can spin indoors (which I have from the first week) and have started back on my outdoor bike.

I rode 15 min, then 30 min then 65 min. I feel good and each ride, less fearful of falling again.

I want to do a long ride this week - (my max since the crash was 15 miles) - is it too aggressive to think I can do 30 miles? I have been double-spinning most days so believe I still have the cardio threshold to do it but am not sure how to rebuild the mileage and base that I had. I am eager to get back to my sport that I love and lose those inactive pounds. :)

Thank you!
Quote Reply
Re: Post-crash recovery [aliruns] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you had the fitness to do a 30 mile ride prior to your crash, I think you should be fine. I had a crash in June (at about mile 70 of an 80 mile ride) and got back outside about 5-6 weeks later (would have been sooner but I needed a new helmet and everything was backordered). I'd done up to 90 minutes indoors prior to getting outside. My first ride out was 7 miles around the neighbourhood to test out the bike. Then a couple of 20 mile rides, and then a 30 mile ride.

Just take it easy, don't set any expectations for yourself other than to stay safe and get around, and enjoy being outside.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As someone who has had some serious trauma multiple times and had to rebuild my advice is just listen to your body. Like you I just wanted to do more than the last time and feel a sense of progression. Most of the time it was ok and one time I pushed on not listening to the body and ended up back in hospital luckily nothing serious just in severe pain but was a precautionary check. The body is pretty smart so just listen too it and bail out if it starts telling you to stop. My advice would be to do shorter loops so you can call it early or have a phone a friend option to come and pick you up.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I’ve been through this twice, once when I got hit by a car (thankfully not seriously hurt) and another when I crashed at high speed (multiple breaks/internal injuries/surgery). Biggest hurdle for me in both instances was the mental aspect of getting back on the roads, riding cautiously but happy to be back on the bike. After the first ride, I was comfortable getting the mileage back up. Sounds like where you’ve gotten back out a few times already that doing 30 should be fine.

"You can never win or lose if you don't run the race." - Richard Butler

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
30 should be fine. Just do an easy Z2 ride, and pack a gel or two if you're going to be out over 90min.

As mentioned do loops. It's unlikely that you lack the base, but some niggle may show up (typically due to compensation from the injury). Give it 10-15min. to fade; if it doesn't call it a day. The exception would be ITB; if it starts to get irritated back off quickly (working out on an aggravated ITB just aggravates it more.....downward spiral).

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply