Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Post-Race Massage Etiquette
Quote | Reply
So what's the word on the proper way to approach this?

While waiting for a massage, I noticed a few people getting pretty close to hour-long attention. I've got some cash stashed on me for a tip, my turn comes up. I had a couple requests (calf muscle near cramp toward end of run, a little tight here, etc) and got about 15 minutes of mediocre love. So now I'm on the fence here. I ended up tipping $20 and that seemed a bit high (hour-long scheduled massages from an awesome therapist tend to run around $50 here).

I'm guessing it might be more appropriate to tip ahead of time if you actually expect something close to a scheduled massage? I'm not sure that's appropriate if you don't really know what you're going to get, and it seems kind of tacky if you say something like "there's something in it for ya if you take care of me".

----------------------------------------------------
Note to self: increase training load.
Quote Reply
Re: Post-Race Massage Etiquette [SignalStrength] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
(hour-long scheduled massages from an awesome therapist tend to run around $50 here).

Wow, where is that??

"there's something in it for ya if you take care of me".

Saying that is probably more dangerous than tacky.

---------------------------------------
Awww, Katy's not all THAT evil. Only slightly evil. In a good way. - JasoninHalifax

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Getting out a $100 bill, and asking if they do "extras" always works well I'm told.

YMMV.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Depending on how they've arranged for therapists to be there, tips are often not allowed - or go into a general pool towards a charitable cause, etc. A buddy of mine worked a lot of events while going through RMT school, and still volunteers for events when he has free time. They treat people on a case by case basis, and spend as much time with each patient as they feel is necessary, and appropriate given how busy they might be. Often everyone gets 10 or 15, while sometimes people may get 45.

I'd hazard a guess that your particular RMT didn't think that you were in a terribly bad way, and perhaps the line got longer as you had to wait.

I wouldn't say anything regarding a tip in advance but if you feel that you got good service, ask if they are allowed to take tips.

<If you're gonna be dumb, you gotta be tough>
Get Fitter!
Proud member of the Smartasscrew, MONSTER CLUB
Get your FIX today?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
not to hijack, but etiquette related. Do people go over all slimy and sweaty right after finishing or do people towel off first, or do they do it for you. Seems like some racers are going over right after crossing the finish.

thanks
Barry

Great things never come from comfort zones.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
expecting an hour long massage after a race seems a bit greedy to me. With lots of people waiting for a table and limited therapists on hand, I think 15-20 minutes is about all I would accept or expect. It sucks to finish in the middle or back of the field and not even get a chance for a massage because somebody decides to pay extra for a bunch of extra time.

If I want a real massage, I'll schedule one on my own time....

my twitter feed
Quote Reply
Re: Post-Race Massage Etiquette [Barry S.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Do people go over all slimy and sweaty right after finishing or do people towel off first, or do they do it for you. Seems like some racers are going over right after crossing the finish.

I think most people are a little bit cleaned up before they go, but most are still in their race clothes. It usually takes a while to get to your name (unless you finish towards the front), so you have time to stop sweating and to towel down.

I had a funny thing happen at Triple T when I got a massage. It was after the 2nd race on Saturday and it was very hot. After I finished, I took a dip in the water to cool off. By the time I got a massage, my tri shorts were still wet, but I didn't think anything of it. After about 5 minutes of massage, the massage therapist leaned over and whispered "Please tell me that your shorts are wet with water and not something else". I started cracking up. I had to assure her that it was water from the lake since I had taken a swim after the race. I can imagine what she was thinking when she first felt my shorts!!
Quote Reply
Re: Post-Race Massage Etiquette [Katy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply][b](hour-long scheduled massages from an awesome therapist tend to run around $50 here).[/b]

Wow, where is that?? [/reply]

$55/hour at the Y.
clm

clm
Nashville, TN
https://twitter.com/ironclm | http://ironclm.typepad.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have never even considered tipping for a post-race massage that was provided by a race until reading this thread. I do tip the local masseuse though, but I pay for those.

In terms of massage duration, you get what you get. Sometimes they use local massage schools and you get a wide range of abilities, mostly on the "weak" side. What I mean by weak is that if it's a school, the students are not used to doing athletic/deep massages that we all want after a race so I will typically get the "therapeutic" massage - the one you get to help you relax, etc. I'm not complaining, but I will say 9 times out of 10 I have to get them to think they're hurting me before they finally do it right. And then I say THAT's a deep tissue/athletic massage.

DawnT - that's a funny story. What's funny is that she waited until after it was too late to ask you about it. By that time would it have even mattered if you had said "Oh - sorry, we athletes don't have time to stop and use the bathroom!"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
"there's something in it for ya if you take care of me".

Me love you long time Joe.. you want happy ending?

http://wardmoya.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Post-Race Massage Etiquette [jpflores] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
expecting an hour long massage after a race seems a bit greedy to me. With lots of people waiting for a table and limited therapists on hand, I think 15-20 minutes is about all I would accept or expect. It sucks to finish in the middle or back of the field and not even get a chance for a massage because somebody decides to pay extra for a bunch of extra time.

If I want a real massage, I'll schedule one on my own time....

Never expected it, or asked. Was just curious. I actually waited an hour after I finished before signing up and was told an hour wait. There was a lady on a table in front for well over an hour, on there when my number was called and still on when I was done. There were still names on the list but nobody was answering when their numbers were called, but it's possible the lady knew the therapist or was actually a client.

Just askin about etiquette since this interpersonal stuff just isn't my thing. I think my questions were answered though. Thanks for all the responses.

----------------------------------------------------
Note to self: increase training load.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just like everything else in life...you tip per the value of the service. You stated mediocre, so I trust there was no happy ending......."no tip for you".

http://theworldthroumyeyes.tumblr.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Post-Race Massage Etiquette [DawnT] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I can't imagine what she was thinking when she first felt my shorts!!

I can....

http://wardmoya.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply