Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Position Critique with a Adamo saddle questions thrown in the mix
Quote | Reply
Feeling very brave so critique away.... here are a couple of side pics and one frontal pic.
About the Rider:
height: 6'4"
About the Bike:
Cervelo Dual: 58cm
Saddle Height: 820mm
Drop: 170mm

I also have a question about a new saddle. In the pics I am pretty far forward on the nose, would this make be a good or bad candidate for a saddle like Adamo Race?

Be gentle!
Side 1

Side 2

Side 3 (kinda blurry and bad angle but has the foot close to bottom of the stroke)

Front

Thanks

Ewan

Ewan

-------------------------

Quote Reply
Re: Position Critique with a Adamo saddle questions thrown in the mix [_EH_] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Side bar: what extensions do you use? Nice ride btw, my exact same setup....old school grey 58 dual.

I can't seem to get my cockpit sorted out after some changes and need a much longer reach on the extension, pads in perfect position though. Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Position Critique with a Adamo saddle questions thrown in the mix [_EH_] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Look at the poor schmuck in yellow getting his doors blown off. This is the triathlon equivalent of getting posterized by someone else's dunk.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IMHO, from what I can see your position looks very good (especially for a tall guy). Is it comfortable for the distances you race? You may want to try to turtle your head to get it out of the wind. As for the saddle, I'm not sure. I tend to ride out on the nose as well, but I haven't given a lot of thought as to what an Adamo would or wouldn't do for me (I ride a Profile Design Tri Stryke).

Mike Sparks

I have competed well, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith.
Quote Reply
Re: Position Critique with a Adamo saddle questions thrown in the mix [tkeru408] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Look at the poor schmuck in yellow getting his doors blown off. This is the triathlon equivalent of getting posterized by someone else's dunk.

Is that a guy in yellow jersey? I looked at those skinny sticks in the mankini and thought it was a female.
Last edited by: climbcarolina: Sep 7, 10 7:58
Quote Reply
Re: Position Critique with a Adamo saddle questions thrown in the mix [climbcarolina] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It is a vision base bar with the profile t2 extensions mounted underneath the bar. Here is a another pic:

never liked the vision armrests. I have the extensions twisted in a little so that my hand/wrists aren't bent.

Ewan

Ewan

Quote Reply
Re: Position Critique with a Adamo saddle questions thrown in the mix [tkeru408] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was racing the half-ironman but there was several other races going on out there sprint up to full iron, i think he was racing the full distance.

Ewan

Ewan

Quote Reply
Re: Position Critique with a Adamo saddle questions thrown in the mix [Sparks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
position is pretty comfortable, never road anything longer than 3-4hrs in it though.
The PD Tri Stryke was my first tri saddle, it was ok but I never really like the "squishy" feeling, I always felt like I was sitting on a bowl of Jello! That is why i was asking about the Adamo as it is supposed to be a bit firmer.
Thanks
Ewan

Ewan

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Did you mount your arm rest hardware 'north' of the stem clamp....meaning they are somewhere between the stem clamp and front hub, not behind the stem clamp? I had looked at running my earlier T2's under the base bar, but wit the lack of height on the arm pads it would have had my forearm banging into the base bar.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd love to know how much wattage you could sustain in that position.

I talk a lot - Give it a listen: http://www.fasttalklabs.com/category/fast-talk
I also give Training Advice via http://www.ForeverEndurance.com

The above poster has eschewed traditional employment and is currently undertaking the ill-conceived task of launching his own hardgoods company. Statements are not made on behalf of nor reflective of anything in any manner... unless they're good, then they count.
http://www.AGNCYINNOVATION.com
Quote Reply
Re: Position Critique with a Adamo saddle questions thrown in the mix [xtrpickels] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
me too, no powermeter for me though :-(
It was a half-ironman with a bike split of 2:29.45 on a crazy windy day.
Ewan

Ewan

Quote Reply
Re: Position Critique with a Adamo saddle questions thrown in the mix [climbcarolina] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
no they are mounted on the side closest to the rider. I used some washers to get the pads high enough that they would sit over the base bar. I can take more pics at home tonight if you want.

Ewan

Ewan

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
yea definitely b/c that would solve a drop issue for me....thanks!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How long is your current saddle?

On a 56cm dual, with BB to top of saddle (middle of seat) measurement at approximately 74cm, with the saddle slammed all the way forward in the forward seat position, I'm only able to get to about -1.5 saddle position to the bottom bracket.

So depending on how long your current saddle is, and it's current fore/aft; on a 56 cm Frame and that saddle height, you may not be able to get an Adamo Race/Road in the right position - although one of the new models may work since I think they are a bit longer.

Before I switched to the adamo, I road a 28cm saddle at 4 cm infront of the BB; the adamo is only 24cm, so to be equal I should be @ neutral saddle position, but I couldn't do it on the Dual.

Fortunately, my speed concept lets me get to neutral w/ an Adamo :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i will take a better pic tonight, but here is something I had in the mean time

You can kinda see the grey plastic tube that i used to extend the armrest up above the base bar. That grey bit sits flush into the back of the base bar
Ewan

Ewan

Last edited by: _EH_: Sep 7, 10 9:13
Quote Reply
Re: Position Critique with a Adamo saddle questions thrown in the mix [sentania] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
it is an Arione Tri 2 (so going of the websites measurements) it is 302.5mm long
The saddle as it stands now is pretty much dead over the BB (if i look in my bike fit measurements it is +2mm for the BB measurements but lets call that 0)
I am on a 58cm frame so it is hard for me to get the saddle any father forward over the BB.

Thanks
Ewan

Ewan

Quote Reply
Re: Position Critique with a Adamo saddle questions thrown in the mix [xtrpickels] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I averaged 224W before my SRM battery died in the same race, but my lap splits were pretty even so I am pretty sure that even though the wind really got bad in the final half, my watts did not die off by the end. In fact, I caught some guys in the second half who passed me in the first half. _EH_ outrode me by around 30 seconds. I'm also 5'6" 142 lbs. I"m guessing that he must have averaged 260-270W for that bike split given his size and the much larger hole he punches through. I also took it easier in the first 30K than the last 60K because I wanted to settle into a sustainable pace and _EH_ was going much harder than me early in the ride. When _EH_ passed me going uphill into a massive headwind, my watts momentarily hit 280 (before sanity prevailed)....he must have been doing over 350W on that 1K stretch
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

Looks like the poor baby had to come out of aero to suck his thumb. It's ok, mommy will be there at the finish line.

--
darrylh, vancouver, bc.
it's not about being really good at one sport, it's about being just a little better than average in three. oh, and it's about gadgets. buying lots and lots of expensive gadgets.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ewan,

I think you would be just fine on the Adamo Race. I switched from the Arione Tri 2 and ride REALLY on the nose. With the Adamo I am right on the end (where you should be) and the power transfer feels a lot better and unrestricted. I am also 6'5" and 177lbs so similar size.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm 4 inches shorter than you, but I nose ride a Cobb and it's all the way forward on the rails. My effective STA says ~84* in the balls out hammer position, but it's actually less given my arch positioned cleat. Granted I ride with a very unique cleat position so it's effectively not as steep as your position, but have ridden with ball of foot over spindle as well with nose riding a steep angle and it feels outstanding. Could use some additional front/center, but I'm not ready to go custom just yet.
Quote Reply
Re: Position Critique with a Adamo saddle questions thrown in the mix [Sub] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thanks Sub
That is good to hear. I would like to give it a try over the winter. I have gone through a couple of saddles the last couple of years (PD Stryke, Airone, Airone Tri2, Toupe) but none of them have been _just_ right.
I haven't looked but I think their is some documentation on setting the Adamo's up compared to your traditional saddle (i.e. nose length) or maybe that was one of Tom A.'s posts.....

Thanks again
Ewan

Ewan

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yep - you can find the seat installation video here - http://www.ismseat.com/products_racing.htm

I found it was useful as a starting point and then you have to really tweak it to get it just right. I ended up emailing the guys and they were really helpful in getting me all set. I think a lot of people really don't stick with the saddle long enough to realize how good they are. Just go into it realizing that you will be sore for a good 10 days (more for me) in allowing your sit bones to adjust when doing longer rides.

Good luck
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
climbcarolina (and anyone else who cares)
Here are a couple of close ups

and

hope this helps

Ewan

Ewan

Quote Reply