Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Position Critique *** Updated ***
Quote | Reply
This is my position I've been training with for IMCDA. I'm slow -- looking for maybe a 7:00 bike split. I'm specificially looking for suggestions to improve shoulder comfort; aero fine tuning and power production are distant seconds. Despite the slightly acute hip-shoulder-elbow angle and slight upward tilt on the elbow pads, I feel like I'm having to push back with my hands, and I develop a lot of fatigue in my upper back (trapezius?) during a long ride. I'm currently riding an Adamo, which when tilted forward can jack you forwards, but I have it set pretty flat, and I've had the same problem with more conventional saddles installed flat.

The usual comments about my hairy legs/armpits, pale torso, yard weeds, etc. are to be expected. But, I hope somebody out there will give me some useful advice.

"100% of the people who confuse correlation and causation end up dying."
Last edited by: MOP_Mike: Sep 19, 07 21:46
Quote Reply
Re: Position Critique [MOP_Mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Seat is too high... seriously...

Pull the aerobars back in towards yourself that will take the weight off your elbows and onto your forearms which should feel a lot better.

Besides that it looks pretty good to me.

Grant

Grant
----------------------------------------------------
Proudly sponsored by Desoto Sports
Please Support CAF every little bit helps http://raceforareason.kintera.org/grantreuter
Quote Reply
Re: Position Critique [cyclonehockey21] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Pull the aerobars back in towards yourself that will take the weight off your elbows and onto your forearms which should feel a lot better."

I'm thinking that the better way to accomplish this would be to move the pads FORWARD a little, as moving the aero extensions back would mess with the (otherwise pretty good) shoulder angle.

But I agree, the knee angle looks a bit too open -- seat is a touch too high, unless you tend to toe-down more when riding.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Some are born to move the world to live their fantasies...

https://triomultisport.com/
http://www.mjolnircycles.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That upper back fatigue is not really position specific (as in; other than jacking yerself up to a more road-like postition, you'll still likely have some of that to some extent), it's more of something you just need to put the miles in on the bike and get used to it.
(Try back to back century rides one weekend. You won't be the happiest camper that second day, but the *next* time you get on the bike after that weekend, the shoulder problem will be all but gone. You beat it into submission and then adapt. This worked for me, YMMV.)

Of course, you could jack yerself up w/ a ton of spacers and/or an upturned stem, but then why ride a tri bike?

My vote is to second moving the pads slightly forward. I know nada, but the shoulder/arm angle looks good.

And yes, it is possible your seat is too high. This is ST after all.

float , hammer , and jog

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm no bike fitter, but those Syntace C2's look to be 1 size too long. You might want to measure with the Syntace forearm sizing chart they have on the boxes at a bike shop to make sure you have the appropriate size.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks, Guys!

Yah, when I look at the photo, the seat does seem a bit high. But, as brider suggested, I think my knee is more bent when actually pedaling. I've tweaked the seat height over the last 4000 miles by watching knee pain -- behind the knee = lower 1mm; under the kneecap = raise 1mm; repeat...

Several of you recommended moving the pads forward. That's something I haven't played with yet due to the non-adjustable C2's. But, I'm willing to give it a try. Can anyone explain why moving the pads forward would help?

Bucky- I did use the Syntace size guide. You're right. I was right on the lower end of the large size.

200 plus views and no snide remarks. I'm not sure if I should be grateful, or feel un-loved.... ;)

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
is that idaho??
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
you shouldn't have the pads right near the elbows. Some suggested to move the pads forward so that you rest the forearms on the pads.

�The greater danger for most of us is not that our aim is too high and we miss it, but that it is too low and we reach it.� -Michelangelo

MoodBoost Drink : Mood Support + Energy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
and route those cables internally through the aerobar extensions.

�The greater danger for most of us is not that our aim is too high and we miss it, but that it is too low and we reach it.� -Michelangelo

MoodBoost Drink : Mood Support + Energy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I love the Syntace bars, but I always go with the smaller bar on the Syntace guide. According to their sizing, I should be a large, but I'm much more comfortable using their medium bars on a tri geom frame.
Quote Reply
Re: Position Critique [swaco] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
>> is that idaho??

Yah, that's Coeur d'Alene today. 75 and sunny.

>>
you shouldn't have the pads right near the elbows. Some suggested to move the pads forward so that you rest the forearms on the pads.

That's what several of you have said. I'm trying to understand why having the pads under the forearms is "better" than the elbows.

>>
and route those cables internally through the aerobar extensions.

Ouch! You can't route the cables out the back of the aerobars with a Titanflex as the cables would then have to run forward again to enter the frame. But, you're right. Cosmetically and probably aerodynamically it sucks.

Last edited by: MOP_Mike: May 26, 07 19:31
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Your frame is too gay.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
[reply]

That's what several of you have said. I'm trying to understand [u]why[/u] having the pads under the forearms is "better" than the elbows.

[/reply]

Because your forearms have muscle and fat, your elbows don't. What is more comfortable sitting on your butt or sitting on your knees... where ever more padding is obviously.

Grant

Grant
Please Support CAF every little bit helps http://raceforareason.kintera.org/grantreuter
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Because your forearms have muscle and fat, your elbows don't. What is more comfortable sitting on your butt or sitting on your knees... where ever more padding is obviously.

Grant
Thanks. Ok, I'll buy that. But, my elbows are pretty comfy. Will moving the pads forwards affect the shoulders any? How?

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lower Saddle...Make sure saddle is level......longer stem (so pads are under forearms).....s-bend or r-bend shape bars so you can choke up on climbs and extend out on flats

Just what "I" would do :-)

Ruble Triathlon Coaching Average of 30 coached PR's per year
Florida Triathlon Camps Train in North Americas winter training destination
Ruble Racing Events Midwest Triathlon Racing
Ruble Timing Midwest Event Timing
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not for Syntace.....they were designed to rest on the elbow.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think you need a whole new bike. Change out the components, keep the wheels for your new bike. I could probably give you a few bucks for that titanflex. ;-)

Take everything I say with a grain of salt. I know nothing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
the easiest and least invasive thing to do at this point is to get a cm longer stem, which will help relax the shoulders and upper back, you look slightly cramped up.
I have also rigged some profile pads onto syntace bars before. this way you can angle the pads out a bit more, thus releasing a bit of the outside shoulder stress.
best of luck in CDA
chris
www.2XU.com
Quote Reply
Re: Position Critique [Diesel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How exactly were the pads designed to rest on your elbows?

Grant

Grant
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

C2 Clip's superior rearward pad placement minimizes pressure on your forearms.
Other aerobars exert leverage on your forearms, increasing pressure in the pad area.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In this example, though, what they don't tell you is that in order for these force numbers to work out, you would be moving the pads 1/3 of the distance to the extensions. Huh!?!?! THat would be the equivalent of moving the pads forward by some 4-5 inches. Lets get back to reality and think about moving them 1-2 inches instead. Yes, it increases the force, but also gives a better shock-absorbing mechanism into the arm, rather than a straight line up the humerus.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
Some are born to move the world to live their fantasies...

https://triomultisport.com/
http://www.mjolnircycles.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Position Critique [brider] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If that is your rationale, you would be better served with a different set of aerobars. i.e. - if you want the pads on the forearm, you'll need to match the upturn as well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have you tried tilting your seat up just a tad? Might eliminate that feeling of having to "push back" on the aerobars.

FIST Certified Fitter
Salt Lake City, Utah
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Theres a couple things wrong with that example first they are assuming you hold the end of the bar low which wouldn';t make much sense with the type of bar it is.

Also i don't see how the pad magically went up (maybe an inch?) from its original position to force the downward angle of the arm. If that was the case it would be more comfortable anyways because now if you held your hands by the shifters you would have horizontal forearms instead of tilted up or down.

Grant

Grant
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think the best reason for moving the pads a tad is that you have a vulnerable nerve in your elbow. The Ulnar nerve is not protected by muscle as it passes through the elbow, so if you have a lot of weight on it for long periods of time, you can get numbness and tingling in your fingers. Common problem. I pinched the same nerve farther down in my hand when riding long in the hoods of my road bike and my hand was messed up for at least a month. That sucked.

Jodi
Quote Reply

Prev Next