Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Portable steam sauna for heat adaptation.
Quote | Reply
Anyone used those portable steam saunas on amazon for heat training? Ones like this https://www.amazon.com/...591579493&sr=8-2

I relocated and the pool nearby doesn't have a sauna so I am looking at a cheap at home alternative but little skeptical that these could compare even closely to the real thing.

Would love any input!
Quote Reply
Re: Portable steam sauna for heat adaptation. [BGildenstern] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bump. Interested in this as well
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why not take a warm bath instead? Serious question, don't know anything about the difference
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I kind of considered one of those last year in prep for Kona, but the wife said no. Maybe it would have helped as the heat wasn’t my friend on race day!! It probably wouldn’t hurt in terms of heat acclimation.

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I bought the one you linked to or one just like it last year. I also wanted to work on heat adaptation and have found it useful with some modifications.

1.) Its not a steam sauna. This is a dry sauna.
2.) I dont use it like it is pictured where your head and hands are outside the main compartment. This allows way to much heat to escape and you barely break a sweat at all. I tried a few differrent things but found the only way to get enough sweat going is to sit indian-style completely inside the compartment with a towel draped over the top to prevent any heat from escaping.
3.) I usually set it to its max temp (140) and use it twice a week for 15 minutes following an easy indoor ride. Feel it makes a positive difference.

You will need towels. You sweat a ton.
Quote Reply
Re: Portable steam sauna for heat adaptation. [tritontoby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tritontoby wrote:
I bought the one you linked to or one just like it last year. I also wanted to work on heat adaptation and have found it useful with some modifications.

1.) Its not a steam sauna. This is a dry sauna.
2.) I dont use it like it is pictured where your head and hands are outside the main compartment. This allows way to much heat to escape and you barely break a sweat at all. I tried a few differrent things but found the only way to get enough sweat going is to sit indian-style completely inside the compartment with a towel draped over the top to prevent any heat from escaping.
3.) I usually set it to its max temp (140) and use it twice a week for 15 minutes following an easy indoor ride. Feel it makes a positive difference.

You will need towels. You sweat a ton.

Did you buy a bigger size since you're full body is in there? This is a good idea
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A quick search on hyperthermic conditioning will turn up some great results. Articles from outside online linked to studies and Dr's on YouTube that have completed thesis work on heat acclimation through the use of dry saunas.

I have myself been following protocols found in several studies that show 3-4 x per week at 45 minutes set to 150* F have worked well for me. Increased sweat rates, tolerance for higher heats and colder cold temperatures out doors, leaner body mass, less sore, winter joint issues almost non-existent and some signs of favorable acclimation to altitude before racing in ABQ NM last season.

I use a large portable sauna and like a previous poster I too found that a lot of heat would escape. While I do stick my head out of the sauna I wrap a towel around my neck to keep heat in. Also if you go the portable route you will also likely discover that it takes time for the "cabin" to build up to temp so what I do is preheat for 15 to 30 min before getting in. Of course once you open it you will lose some heat but it wont take 30-40 before the sweat really starts flowing. Its also a good time to practice meditation or catch up on news or other media.

Coach Rob
PositivePerformanceCoaching.com
Quote Reply
Re: Portable steam sauna for heat adaptation. [cmart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cmart wrote:
Why not take a warm bath instead? Serious question, don't know anything about the difference

The wife: "No way are you going into my bath tub all sweaty with the sole purpose of getting more sweaty!" haha

Thanks for the good feedback. I did see there was one on amazon that is taller and meant for you to be fully inside so that may be an option as well.
The sauna I used 5-6x a week at the pool was 180 all the way up to 210 when one guy had a trick to bump it that high but I found it so effective.

Weird thing is, I moved 2 months ago from Vancouver to Jacksonville and despite training midday in the heat, I am nowhere near as adapted to the heat as I was this time last year when I did sauna protocol and came and raced here in Florida. Thinking this may be an answer.

I have also heard some people say they bought a second heater to use in there and it got it up to 180.
Quote Reply
Re: Portable steam sauna for heat adaptation. [Vols] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Im 5'9" and fit about right in the normal size one like pictured in original post link. If you are north of 6' its prob going to be a tight fit on this model.

Agreed with CoachRob that it takes a few minutes to warm up. I have mine next to my trainer so can hit the on button while still on the bike, 15 min or so before the end of my ride.

Ive found that 15-20 min 2X a week is plenty for me now. I did a little more time last summer when prepping for hot race so perhaps im just better adapted (mentally and physically) now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Unfortunately the one I purchased is no longer available (https://www.amazon.com/...00?ie=UTF8&psc=1). It was a deluxe larger size with a chair. I had to replace the chair inside of 6 months.

I would love to build an outdoor sauna similar to the finish style saunas but I am not sure I want to keep up with the wood burning aspect. Maybe a pellet stove would work too. Anyone have experience in building or buying outdoor saunas would be interesting.

Not trying to hijack the OP's original question but thought it could be helpful. Many of the studies I read showed 15-30 minutes at 160* to even 180* f and none of the far infrared saunas reach those temps that I have found.

Coach Rob
PositivePerformanceCoaching.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have the steam version and have used it for a few years now for heat training. Definitely recommend it.

It's a lot more convenient that using one at the gym/pool and for $100 it's a good buy. Being zipped up in a dorky one person tent isn't the same relaxing cedar sauna experience you might get elsewhere, but for heat training it does the job.

As compared to the "real thing", it's a much higher humidity experience, but not lacking at all on the "hot factor." I tolerate the heat very well, and 10-15' in this thing at max power is absolutely brutal when you first start out.

I use it pretty regularly for hot summer races and do feel like it is helpful for getting over the feeling of being uncomfortably hot.
Quote Reply