Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Portable bike pumps that screw-on (PROBikeKit) - Careful you don't remove the core!
Quote | Reply
Just a heads up for anyone out there who owns or uses a portable screw-on type bike pump, like ProBikeKit's pump. These pumps typically have a head that screws onto the presta valve tip, so there is no leaking of air when you pump, and often come with a flexible tube for better positioning.

I learned the hard way today that if you don't carefully pre-tighten your valve cores BEFORE you ride, these pumps will grab onto your valve core and remove it entirely from you tire (with a huge loss of all your pumped air!) as you try unscrewing it. It will unscrew the valve core instead of the valve itself, so you're left stranded with a tube with no valve. You'd think you could just pull the valve out of the pump and just screw it right back into the tube, but in my case, the pump had screws onto the core tightly enough that it was impossible to remove with my hands. (It's not super tight, it's just that you get no purchase on twisting that tiny core with your fingers. At home with wimpy pliers, it's a cakewalk to remove.)

Luckily for me I was overprepared for flats, and had extra tubes as well as my backup CO2 kit, which as of today is officially becoming my main, and likely only flat kit since it works so well. Had to redo the entire tube installation again roadside, but this time the CO2 made the inflation an absolute cakewalk. (I HIGHLY recommend the Portland Shiny Object Inflator. It is friggin' amazing. Clearly marked "open/close" on a dial, and you can dial in the precise CO2 fill amount you want, from trace amounts to check initial mounting, to full blast once you're sure it's on right. Get it, thank me later!)

I was using Conti Race Tubes for 700-20 thru 700-25 tires with 80mm long valvestems, and I've never messed with the removable core before, so now I know - you are supposed to extra tighten the core before use if you want to use these screw-on pumps ,but I'm not even going to bother and just go CO2 so this isn't even an issue. I know a lot of you folks out there use these very same tires, so be aware before you do what I did and get that tube core trapped in the pump on roadside.
Quote Reply
Re: Portable bike pumps that screw-on (PROBikeKit) - Careful you don't remove the core! [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had the same thing happen to me on a roadside puncture. I keep the little tool that comes with a valve extender in my bike bag so pulling the valve out was simple.
I had an epic CO2 fail on a long training ride and ran out of gas. I only use the pump now as it never runs out.
Quote Reply
Re: Portable bike pumps that screw-on (PROBikeKit) - Careful you don't remove the core! [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've had two "flats" due to valve cores vibrating loose. One happened during a training ride after going over some railroad tracks. The other case was I went back to my bike post race only to find the rear tire flat; just glad I got to T2 no issues.

In both cases I had never removed the valve core so now I make a point to tighten them before installing a tube or valve stem with a removable core. My spare tubes are non-removable cores (one less thing to worry about).

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Portable bike pumps that screw-on (PROBikeKit) - Careful you don't remove the core! [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm uninformed in this area, but have run into the issue in the field (when once I borrowed a pump from a friend).
1. what is the claimed benefit of having a removable core?
2. what brands of tubes have removable cores (so I can avoid those)?
Quote Reply
Re: Portable bike pumps that screw-on (PROBikeKit) - Careful you don't remove the core! [slow_bob] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When using extenders for deep wheels, the core gets removed, and reinstalled in the extender. It can also be removed for cleaning out dirt and debris, or simply being changed if it doesn’t seal. The core tool is very small, I keep one in my patch kit, and it’s a non issue. I’ve gone back to a mini pump for training and general riding, after too many CO2 fails. I still carry CO2 for racing.

Athlinks / Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My Lezyne Road Drive has unscrewed my valve cores on a couple of occasions but I didn't have the problem of the core getting stuck in the pump. IIRC, the valve thread disengages from the pump before the core is fully unscrewed so I can just remove the pump and re-screw the core. This may depend on the exact geometry of your pump hose and valve. I do remember finding it tricky to tighten the core sufficiently without a pliers or other suitable tool, so as to avoid the issue on the second inflation attempt. I very rarely puncture so don't worry much about anything that's not a showstopper and this wasn't, but I must throw one of the extender tools mentioned into my saddle bag. I'm sure I've got one or two lying around and I'm sure I'll forget to tighten a core and have the same inconvenience again some day.
I always carry a small pump and have CO2 with me too. I don't consider CO2 sufficient on it's own, especially if riding alone in the mountains, since you could run out of cylinders if you don't find the source of the puncture or just have multiple punctures on a singel ride. I've never had either occur, but you never know. In the last 9 years, I have never yet bothered using the CO2, but I carry it anyway in case I'm in a hurry one of these days.
Quote Reply
Re: Portable bike pumps that screw-on (PROBikeKit) - Careful you don't remove the core! [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I carry one of the little plastic core removal tools with me and swap cores on tubes instead of keeping a long core on the spare tube.

This way, it's always tightened optimally before inflating with a roadside hand pump.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Some brands and models of pumps have a small button on the presta head of the hose that when pressed will bleed off the air pressure that is remaining in the hose before you unscrew it.

This can help break the seal between the presta head and the actual valve so when you unscrew it doesn’t remove the core.

If your pump doesn’t have that feature you can unscrew the pump body from the hose before you unscrew the hose from the valve to bleed off that pressure. It may help.

Best bet is to have the core tool and tighten before inflation. Frustrating for sure!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a Lezyne pump on one bike, and it can unscrew threads like you experienced. I have a Silca Tattico on my main bike, and i like it because you press the hose on and flip a lever up to lock in in place. You don't have to screw it like the lezynes or the one you got from PBK.

I carry the small plastic valve core tool with me, a removable-core tube, and and extender just in case i need to help somebody out with deep rims. I've seen people have to call for rides because they didn't have a tube long enough. Being prepared when other people aren't is an easy way to make friendships, and all that stuff weighs just a couple grams and takes up almost no additional room.

I have a silca tool that has a valve core remover built in, but the placement of it is frustrating. Could be user error, but i can only get a little bit of a turn at a time before the spokes get in the way of the tool. I have the same problem with the cute little Zipp tool that looks like a mini wrench. The cheap little plastic one works on both cores and extenders (unless they are REALLY tight), weighs almost nothing, and costs next to nothing.
Quote Reply
Re: Portable bike pumps that screw-on (PROBikeKit) - Careful you don't remove the core! [Ai_1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ai_1 wrote:
My Lezyne Road Drive has unscrewed my valve cores on a couple of occasions but I didn't have the problem of the core getting stuck in the pump. IIRC, the valve thread disengages from the pump before the core is fully unscrewed so I can just remove the pump and re-screw the core. This may depend on the exact geometry of your pump hose and valve. I do remember finding it tricky to tighten the core sufficiently without a pliers or other suitable tool, so as to avoid the issue on the second inflation attempt. I very rarely puncture so don't worry much about anything that's not a showstopper and this wasn't, but I must throw one of the extender tools mentioned into my saddle bag. I'm sure I've got one or two lying around and I'm sure I'll forget to tighten a core and have the same inconvenience again some day.
I always carry a small pump and have CO2 with me too. I don't consider CO2 sufficient on it's own, especially if riding alone in the mountains, since you could run out of cylinders if you don't find the source of the puncture or just have multiple punctures on a singel ride. I've never had either occur, but you never know. In the last 9 years, I have never yet bothered using the CO2, but I carry it anyway in case I'm in a hurry one of these days.

Just FYI and for anyone with CO2 anxiety (that was me for years!) for non-megarides, the Portland pump I referenced will remove all your CO2 anxieties. It's that good. You will never 'misfire', and even if you do somehow, you have complete control of the CO2 outflow such that you will lose a super-teeny amount. It works particularly well for the early tire mount where you want to make sure things aren't twisted or caught.

Honestly, the ability to put in small amounts of air effortlessly makes it a far superior solution to any on-road hand pump I've used (you can check the fill continuously without messing with the pumping action), and I've used such pumps of various kinds for years. I just carry 2 CO2s 'just in case', still way smaller than even the smallest frame pump.

With this thing, the pumping of the tire is by far the easiest part, which is usually the most time consuming and annoying portion.
Last edited by: lightheir: Dec 7, 20 6:56
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:
Ai_1 wrote:

Just FYI and for anyone with CO2 anxiety (that was me for years!) for non-megarides, the Portland pump I referenced will remove all your CO2 anxieties. It's that good. You will never 'misfire', and even if you do somehow, you have complete control of the CO2 outflow such that you will lose a super-teeny amount. It works particularly well for the early tire mount where you want to make sure things aren't twisted or caught.

Honestly, the ability to put in small amounts of air effortlessly makes it a far superior solution to any on-road hand pump I've used (you can check the fill continuously without messing with the pumping action), and I've used such pumps of various kinds for years. I just carry 2 CO2s 'just in case', still way smaller than even the smallest frame pump.

With this thing, the pumping of the tire is by far the easiest part, which is usually the most time consuming and annoying portion.
My policy of not relying on CO2 is not due to fear of misfires etc, but simply the fact that there is a finite and relatively small volume of gas available for inflation before you're out of options. Repeat punctures can happen, and I don't fancy being stranded. Easy to carry a pump for unlimited inflation, or both a small pump and CO2 for redundancy. No anxiety, just sensible in my opinion.
Quote Reply
Re: Portable bike pumps that screw-on (PROBikeKit) - Careful you don't remove the core! [slow_bob] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
slow_bob wrote:
what is the claimed benefit of having a removable core?

I think some people remove the core to fix a tube by spraying in sealant.

I don’t do this and my old screw on pump was snagging the cores and I don’t use that pump anymore.

https://www.strava.com/...tes/zachary_mckinney
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ai_1 wrote:
lightheir wrote:
Ai_1 wrote:

My policy of not relying on CO2 is not due to fear of misfires etc, but simply the fact that there is a finite and relatively small volume of gas available for inflation before you're out of options. Repeat punctures can happen, and I don't fancy being stranded. Easy to carry a pump for unlimited inflation, or both a small pump and CO2 for redundancy. No anxiety, just sensible in my opinion.

That's fine, but honestly, the CO2 canisters are all you need with this thing. Each CO2 canister can fill 2 entire tubes, so even if you utterly mismount your first, you can remove it and try again. I also just leave the canister attached to the head after I use it, so if I do repeat flat later en route, I can just use the same canister. But I do carry 2 just in case.
Quote Reply