Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Poor mans endless pool
Quote | Reply
I have a decent size pool and was curious if anyone had any experience with a resistance band type setup for stationary swimming.
Quote Reply
Re: Poor mans endless pool [Fasterthanslow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Actually yes. Before I signed up for LA Fitness (my work will pay for it, pretty neat) I bought a cheap band off of amazon to use in my friend's pool. Upside; it was something. Downsides; had really bad buoyancy issues and if you don't elevate the strap enough you end up a little tangled. If you can get a steep angle on your tether and sit the belt comfortably on your hips it should do what you need it to.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use this ankle strap in my pool. Kick just enough to keep the legs up or use a pull buoy. Very boring but gets the job done if you’re just looking to get some strokes in...

https://www.amazon.com/..._api_i_7cqrDb6EEJXBR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fasterthanslow wrote:
I have a decent size pool and was curious if anyone had any experience with a resistance band type setup for stationary swimming.

I have looked into the Intex Hydro Flow swimming unit, similar concept to the endless pool but only $1200. I think I am going to try it but we need to get into our house first (just finishing up financing before we start building). Based on where we are in the process it will be awhile and there may be better options by then or I hear badly about that one. I did make a thread the other day on here about it.
Quote Reply
Re: Poor mans endless pool [140.6sj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
140.6sj wrote:
Fasterthanslow wrote:

I have looked into the Intex Hydro Flow swimming unit, similar concept to the endless pool but only $1200. I think I am going to try it but we need to get into our house first (just finishing up financing before we start building). Based on where we are in the process it will be awhile and there may be better options by then or I hear badly about that one. I did make a thread the other day on here about it.

I just had a look at the manual of the Intex unit. The max water speed is given as 1.21 m/sec on page 6 of 10. That is a little more than 30 sec per 25 m or 38.5 min for 1900 m. I am a horrible swimmer but even for me that sounds a little slow.
Quote Reply
Re: Poor mans endless pool [GuidoK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GuidoK wrote:
140.6sj wrote:
Fasterthanslow wrote:

I just had a look at the manual of the Intex unit. The max water speed is given as 1.21 m/sec on page 6 of 10. That is a little more than 30 sec per 25 m or 38.5 min for 1900 m. I am a horrible swimmer but even for me that sounds a little slow.

IDK, that doesnt seem too bad.

1.21 meters is 3.96 ft, so 3.96ft/sec x 60= 237.6ft/min x 60 = 14,256ft/hr / 5,280 = 2.7 miles in an hour

As a comparison, the swim split in the 2018 Kona race was 46:29, which is a pace of 4.542ft/second, so that swim was 7 inches/second faster then this unit goes. My fastest ironman split is still over an hour (not by much), but if this rating they give is accurate then it is still faster then I can hold for that time
Quote Reply
Re: Poor mans endless pool [140.6sj] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’m still new to the sport so my experience is limited, however, I use the SuperSwim. It works very well. Only downside is knowing distance. However if you can get your 50/100m times you can get close.
https://superswim.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I only swim in my own pool using a tether attached to the swim ladder. If you're a good swimmer with decent technique already then I think it's a great way to train. I prefer to have the band attach to a belt at the waist and not to the feet / ankles.

Obviously you won't have any distance metrics for your workouts, but going by time has worked just fine for maintaining good swim fitness. I gave up butterfly years ago, so I just do mostly freestyle, and a little backstroke and breaststroke which are all manageable on the tether. I'm not sure how well fly would go if you are looking for that.

I don't find stationary swimming any more or less boring than a lap pool already is, and you remove the hassle of going to a gym and dealing with crowding there.
Quote Reply
Re: Poor mans endless pool [Route66] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Route66 wrote:
I only swim in my own pool using a tether attached to the swim ladder. If you're a good swimmer with decent technique already then I think it's a great way to train. I prefer to have the band attach to a belt at the waist and not to the feet / ankles.

Obviously you won't have any distance metrics for your workouts, but going by time has worked just fine for maintaining good swim fitness. I gave up butterfly years ago, so I just do mostly freestyle, and a little backstroke and breaststroke which are all manageable on the tether. I'm not sure how well fly would go if you are looking for that.

I don't find stationary swimming any more or less boring than a lap pool already is, and you remove the hassle of going to a gym and dealing with crowding there.

Plus no shame in not being able to do a flip turn! I'm all in.

Indoor Triathlete - I thought I was right, until I realized I was wrong.
Quote Reply
Re: Poor mans endless pool [chrisrpdx] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
chrisrpdx wrote:
I use this ankle strap in my pool. Kick just enough to keep the legs up or use a pull buoy. Very boring but gets the job done if you’re just looking to get some strokes in...

https://www.amazon.com/..._api_i_7cqrDb6EEJXBR

Glad you put this in here. This would have been excellent when traveling and having to work with small hotel pools while training.

Besides that use, it could be demanding in other ways (like correcting for over gliding, I think) and might serve as a useful swimming tool too.

Indoor Triathlete - I thought I was right, until I realized I was wrong.
Quote Reply
Re: Poor mans endless pool [GuidoK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GuidoK wrote:
140.6sj wrote:
Fasterthanslow wrote:

not correct! 1.21 meters per second = 25 meters in 20.66 seconds (25/1.21) = 100 meters in 82.64 seconds = a pace that almost no Triathlete can hold for an IM swim ;-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For several years the only swimming I did outside of tri racing was in a backyard pool with the TYR Aquatic Resistance Belt. Back when I started doing that, I posted here on ST and got a few recommendations.

If you are a good swimmer, I think it's a great workout. Since you don't have forward movement to help keep your hips/feet up, you have to kick a lot more or they'll sink. At first that was an annoyance, but I got used to it quickly, and then when I was swimming without the belt I found my hips and legs naturally rode higher without any effort. I'm not sure how that would all work if you're still developing decent stroke mechanics.

The hardest thing for me was structuring workouts without having distances to use. I hate stopping to look at a watch. I ended up counting strokes and approximating distances that way. Things like 30 strokes at cruise pace, build for 25 strokes, sprint for 20, rest 10 seconds, repeat 10 times.
Last edited by: nilloc: Aug 5, 19 9:21
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sounds like you need a deep sea fishing rod with 100# test. Secure a rod mount next to the pool and drop the rod into it. Hook a clip to a line around your waist. :)

http://www.sfuelsgolonger.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Fasterthanslow wrote:

Had one, aside from being piss boring, it was shit to use. Swimming felt awkward.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the question, it inspired me to buy a SuperSwim tether, the kind where you attach a sort of heavy fishing rod to the swim ladder. I found a discount code, APRIL20 that gave $26 off a $265 purchase.

Now, I wasn’t going to buy any new things this year, but I’m making it a gift to myself celebrating my 30th anniversary of quitting smoking.

My mom died of diabetes and heart disease and would have been 62 on April 18, 1990, the day I smoked my last cigarette and went out for a very long walk.

I ran my first marathon within a year of quitting. This year, I get to turn 62, having run 152 marathons, 10 full IM races and who knows how many other shorter events.

So, anyway, guess I’ll get in some long-ish swims in the backyard pool.

Sharon McN
@IronCharo
#TeamZoot
Clif Bar Pace Team 2003-2018
Quote Reply
Re: Poor mans endless pool [SharonMcN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you for sharing your story. Wonderful!!!!
Quote Reply