Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Poor Starky runs like he has to take a sh..
Quote | Reply
Shit.. No disrespect and an amazing athlete just trying to analyze his run form. Hopefully Skipper wins!!!
Quote Reply
Re: Poor Starky runs like he has to take a sh.. [thatzone] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thatzone wrote:
Shit.. No disrespect and an amazing athlete just trying to analyze his run form. Hopefully Skipper wins!!!

Maybe because he was run over and dragged under a truck while on his bike, broken back, leg nearly ripped off, and helmet crushed?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
1. Um, if you really meant no disrespect, you'd have found a more respectful way to phrase
2. Starky still ran a sub-3
3. Why start a Starky thread and hope someone else wins? Oh, right, no disrespect.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Poor Starky runs like he has to take a sh.. [MrTri123] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Like I said amazing athlete!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You can see plenty of examples of him running well before his crash. It doesn't look all that different to me. It's just the way he runs.
Quote Reply
Re: Poor Starky runs like he has to take a sh.. [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri-Banter wrote:
1. Um, if you really meant no disrespect, you'd have found a more respectful way to phrase
3. Why start a Starky thread and hope someone else wins? Oh, right, no disrespect.

4. And a sub 8 IM

Not too shabby
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Today he looked really good from the side view. It’s just the shoulder/arm carriage that’s weird. Arms are just countering the leg forces (not providing propulsion), so whatever works.

He has a long stride and slower cadence that (along with the arms) make his running look a bit forced from a head on view.

Skipper and Hoff both looked better, but they were also running sub-2:40.

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Re: Poor Starky runs like he has to take a sh.. [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri-Banter wrote:

Only tangentially on-topic, but 20+ years ago I heard a golf commentator compare Jim Furyk's swing to an octopus falling out of a tree. That has stuck with me for over 2 decades, and as such, I totally agree that we can find a more delicate AND memorable way to describe Starky's stride. There is no greater purpose for the mastery of language than relentlessly taking the piss out of each other :)

Eliot
blog thing - strava thing
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MrTri123 wrote:
thatzone wrote:

Maybe because he was run over and dragged under a truck while on his bike, broken back, leg nearly ripped off, and helmet crushed?

I totally agree.

Full respect for the man after everything he has been through to get back to this level where he is a factor, and crank off an almost 4 hrs bike followed by sub 3 run. Big props to skipper and Hoffman too after Kona....no one is questioning them doing an IM 3 weeks after Kona but Cam Wurf got the big hammering on ST for doing one three weeks before Kona.

It seems like at this pro level, these guys are all data points that a big day 3 weeks out may be pretty good prep to put down a fast race 3 weeks later.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tri-Banter wrote:

This sums it up. It's a disrespectful post in every way.

thatzone wrote:

This just reminds me of "I'm not racist, but..." or "Not to be an a-hole, but..." immediately followed by just that. It doesn't cancel out.
Last edited by: BigBoyND: Nov 2, 19 16:34
Quote Reply
Re: Poor Starky runs like he has to take a sh.. [BigBoyND] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If it makes you guys FEEL better I’ve been told I run like a duck.. So there’s that

But in all seriousness full disclosure love the Starky story and everything he’s overcome.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
thatzone wrote:
If it makes you guys FEEL better I’ve been told I run like a duck.. So there’s that

But in all seriousness full disclosure love the Starky story and everything he’s overcome.

Its optional to you, but you can choose to modify the thread title with something like this, "How does Starky run sub 3 and go sub 8 hours running like a defensive lineman ?".

Dev
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
thatzone wrote:

2:58:36
That's fast no matter what but after a 4hr bike... Come on!
Quote Reply
Re: Poor Starky runs like he has to take a sh.. [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
thatzone wrote:

Its optional to you, but you can choose to modify the thread title with something like this, "How does Starky run sub 3 and go sub 8 hours running like a defensive lineman ?".

Dev

Exactly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You are not going to hurt Starkys feelings. I saw him after the race and told him great job. He said thank you, how did you do? I told him my time and he said, If I did that I would be pissed!" He smirked and asked again, How did you do? I said I happy with it and he said That's Great!!

http://www.sfuelsgolonger.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I only saw him run for a little bit, but I thought he looked as good as I've seen him haha.

As another poster said - 2:58 off a 4:01. INCREDIBLE.

Also love the Jim Furyk reference!

DFRU - Detta Family Racing Unit...the kids like it and we all get out and after it...gotta keep the fam involved!
Quote Reply
Re: Poor Starky runs like he has to take a sh.. [BigBoyND] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BigBoyND wrote:
Tri-Banter wrote:

This sums it up. It's a disrespectful post in every way.

thatzone wrote:

This just reminds me of "I'm not racist, but..." or "Not to be an a-hole, but..." immediately followed by just that. It doesn't cancel out.

"I love such and such... buuuuuuuuuut"
Quote Reply
Re: Poor Starky runs like he has to take a sh.. [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Difference being 7,45 (5th fastest IM ever) 3 weeks before A race, versus racing 3 weeks after A race to qualify early perhaps?

devashish_paul wrote:
MrTri123 wrote:
thatzone wrote:

I totally agree.

Full respect for the man after everything he has been through to get back to this level where he is a factor, and crank off an almost 4 hrs bike followed by sub 3 run. Big props to skipper and Hoffman too after Kona....no one is questioning them doing an IM 3 weeks after Kona but Cam Wurf got the big hammering on ST for doing one three weeks before Kona.

It seems like at this pro level, these guys are all data points that a big day 3 weeks out may be pretty good prep to put down a fast race 3 weeks later.
Quote Reply
Re: Poor Starky runs like he has to take a sh.. [timr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thats funny!

Pretty inspiring story when you hear everyhing he has overcome over the years

timr wrote:
You are not going to hurt Starkys feelings. I saw him after the race and told him great job. He said thank you, how did you do? I told him my time and he said, If I did that I would be pissed!" He smirked and asked again, How did you do? I said I happy with it and he said That's Great!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
thatzone wrote:

Sub 8 after the life challenges that guy has been through. Guys a stallion - he could have hopped around for me. Imagine if Lionel got dragged under a bus and nearly died then came back to a sub-8. This forum would be off its bandwidth in a flash.

Well done Starky.

He who understands the WHY, will understand the HOW.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thatzone..pretty disrespectful..the guy did 3:50 (running a 1:19) on a tough Waco course a week ago..hops on a plane...recovers...stops to see family..goes to Florida and drops that time?
Guys a stud if you ask me...pretty sure you couldn't pull that one off..not sure why you would even post such a comment. Makes no sense even if you do run like a duck.
Maybe just stick to posting nice comments about others and not stir the pot
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Saw starky on the side of the road cheering people on during the run. Him yelling “go Ben!” as I was wrapping up my first lap gave me lots of energy for the second half marathon.
Quote Reply
Re: Poor Starky runs like he has to take a sh.. [gbc0005] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Kona he didn't race but was at the top of the Palani hill with about a mile to go cheering folks on. Told me I looked great when I knew it was very far from the truth. It's amazing what he can do with his body type, especially after that horrific crash!

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
thatzone wrote:

Starky: 188 cm, 84 kg
Hoffman: 180 cm, 73 kg
Skipper: 181, 78 kg
Frodeno: 194 cm, 75 kg
Lange: 178, weight not listed on google home screen

That's my analysis of his run form

Chasing PB Podcast Latest interview with Eli Hemming on Targeting a US MTR spot in Tokyo
Quote Reply
Re: Poor Starky runs like he has to take a sh.. [natethomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I met him and talked to him in Waco. Although it was my first time meeting him, he gets very personal and friendly. I've raced with him like 4 times already in Galveston and Waco. He asked me if I like flat races and whatnot. All these top notch triathletes are great people if you meet them in person. I talked to Jeanni Seymour as well and what a sweet lady!
Quote Reply

Prev Next