Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Pools in SF
Quote | Reply
So turns out life happens, and I am about to find myself moving to SF in about a months time. Where do people swim/bike/run in the city? The new gig would put me squarely in the Financial District. No idea where I am going to live yet - early signs seem to point at Emeryville/Alameda/Dublin/Pleasonton/Walnut Creek
For reference my current setup here in WA is - I have a kickr and a treadmill at home, that is 99% of my training. I have a gym membership about 10 minutes away that provides the pool and an occasional treadmill for bricks. Some HS/MS tracks nearby that provide track work. I like this because of the convenience - everything is a 10 minute drive from my house.
Quote Reply
Re: Pools in SF [harshc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I used to swim at UCSF Bakar Fitness Center. 25yard roof top pool.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you want to swim before/after work in the financial district YMCA SF has 2 locations in the general area: Embarcadero (25m pool), and Chinatown (25y salt water pool). They can get busy early in the morning and in the evening, I usually swim with 3-4 other people in my lane when I go at 7:30am. Though some days I have a lane to myself so it it varies.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Bay Club also has a really nice pool right in the financial district, and other clubs around the bay area. It's uber pricey, but they have a lot of good perks if you're a triathlete with money burning a hole in your pocket.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yes, where you decide to live is a big factor here - big geography.

I swam at the YMCA Embarcadero for several years - it's a full-service gym, relatively modest price, can hit the spot for getting a workout around work times or lunch. Views of the bay from exercise room are stunning. The pool there is indoor; they do keep it a decent temp most of the time - a little warm for stronger swimmer - but not bad compared to some. It's only a 5-lane pool, and most of the swimmers there are at a pretty low level, so its hard to get a clear lane, or swim with others of similar speed. Especially early morning and lunch time. As my swimming improved, this pool worked for me less and less.

There are a lot more pools and options in the East Bay (east of SF). I believe there is a pool and strong masters program in Emeryville. Also I believe the same in Pleasanton and San Ramon. US Masters has a pool finder on their website.

Walnut Creek: see the Clarke Center - it's a 50m x 25y pool. Walk-in, membership and Masters options here. Most years, we get two blocks of LCM (50m) - one in the winter and one in the summer. The facility is generally older, and the locker room is fair. It's fairly close to BART (train). Walnut Creek Masters, located there, is a large club, with 5 coached workouts per day (M-F), each with ~8-10 lanes on SCY. Great blend of structured workouts, and some real coaching as time allows. Accepting of triathletes. A real swimming culture here - it's very strong - you will find a lane to push you.
Quote Reply
Re: Pools in SF [Johnny_G] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is great stuff thanks. I have been eyeing Nob Hill, Potrero, Emeryville and Walnut Creek as my short list of locations as I trawl through craigslist and padmapper.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you want a (nice) private club with a pool, in the east bay, I can think of: Oakwood (Lafayette); ClubSport (Walnut Creek, San Ramon, Pleasanton - they are not all affiliated).

24Hr Fitness in WC - pool is very warm (~85F), indoor.

Forma Gym WC - pool is only ~20yards, but the club is nice otherwise.

Many others!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Walnut Creek, and the surrounding areas are a hot bed of cycling, FYI. Excellent place to train from.
Quote Reply