Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Pools in Munich?
Quote | Reply
I am going to be in Munich for work in a couple of weeks and am looking for a pool to get in some laps. Anyone have any suggestions for places relatively close to the city center? Thanks in advance!
Quote Reply
Re: Pools in Munich? [Trimatthew529] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh man, you want to swim in Mark Spitz's lane at the Olympic Pool. That place is to die for. Lane swim pretty well all day in half of the pool 50m LCM set up.

Last edited by: devashish_paul: Mar 31, 19 18:03
Quote Reply
Re: Pools in Munich? [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The pool in the olympic park is in renovation and only restricted usable.

Until 1 May there is one other 50m pool: the Dante Bad. Outside, and therefore 31° C. I love it and always swim there. For some too hot.

Othrrwise there are 25m pools for which I can't help you.

From 1 May on other 50m pools open, for example the Schyrenbad relatively near to the center. You can make nice PBs there because it measures actually 48,9m.

From 1 May on the Dante Bad becomes cooler and there opens a second 50m pool which however measures 49,8 m.
Last edited by: longtrousers: Apr 1, 19 6:02
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi, I use the Fitness First Pool that is a 25m Indoor Pool in Haidhausen on the East Side of Munich, but membership is required as it is part of a gym chain. But that is my main pool all year round.

Probably the most central one is the MĂ¼llerisches Volksbad which is just at the Deutsche Museum. Like mentioned before Olympic Bad is undergoing renovations, so times when it is usuable varies. Dantebad is great, but not really central Munich. If you have bike then it is like 15mins from the Central Munich. It is great outdoor pool, however I dislike it for training purposes, as the water in the winter season is just to warm, plus a lot of swimmers don't understand lane etiquette, such as blocking the wall, not giving space, not letting you overtake, or thinking its a competition when you try and overtake. I gave up after 6 months of swimming there, it just drove me insane. It ended up just being Quantity training, and no longer Quality training.

Depending on when your here in Munich, than outdoor season starts I think 1st of May. And Schyrenbad is great with water temperature being more normal. But opening times are horrible, with it only opening at 10am during the week, and 9am at the weekend. But if its great weather at the weekend than you can forget to try and train. I usually go during the week when it opens and do like an hour session and then get out of there asap. But that works for me as I m based 5mins on the bike away and work from home.

N+1
Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here's a list in English of what I'm assuming are the public pools in Munich: https://www.swm.de/...s/dante-freibad.html. The indoor pools are also listed under a separate tab. Just know that lap swimming in Germany may be different than what it is in the U.S. (if that's where you're from). It seems the national stroke is breaststroke and many of those breaststroking swimmers will not be thrilled by someone flying by them and splashing. That said, though, there are beautiful pools in the Munich area. When I went there for the World Masters Swimming Championships long ago, I worked out in a beautiful outdoor all-stainless steel 50m pool that was a few miles from the Olympic Pool. It felt a little like swimming in a sink at first, but it was really awesome. Good luck! Enjoy your trip!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For what it's worth, there's great running along the river.

It's also fun to run in the gardens of Nymphenburg palace. I usually take the S-Bahn to Laim (?) and then run to palace.

I talk a lot - Give it a listen: http://www.fasttalklabs.com/category/fast-talk
I also give Training Advice via http://www.ForeverEndurance.com

The above poster has eschewed traditional employment and is currently undertaking the ill-conceived task of launching his own hardgoods company. Statements are not made on behalf of nor reflective of anything in any manner... unless they're good, then they count.
http://www.AGNCYINNOVATION.com
Quote Reply