Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Pool vs openwater
Quote | Reply
Just wondering how peoples swim times compare in the pool as opposed to open water. I am attempting to get an idea of what to expect for my swim time in the lake during my first Tri. in June. I don't do flip turns, if its not choppy in the lake should my times be close. Thanks Norm
Quote Reply
Re: Pool vs openwater [NormM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Will you be wearing a wetsuit? If so, you will most likely be faster in the o/w.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Don't try to wrap your brain around converting because it doesn't work well. They can claim they measure by GPS all they want, but an open water swim course and distance you actually swim is not going to have the same accuracy as you get in the pool. Add in waves, currents, the effect of water temperature and wetsuits, the effects of drafting, the effects of getting knocked around or getting stuck behind slower swimmers, the amount of time lost while getting tangled up in weeds.....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree that there are just too many variables to wrap your brain around to get an accurate assesment. Just swim your race and let the chips fall where they may. Generally, however, swim times in a pool (short course) are faster than open water because of the many, many push-offs that you are doing in the course of a workout.

peace

eric

---------------------------------------------
Everything changes, everything is connected; pay attention. -- Buddhism in 7 words
Quote Reply