Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Pool/Gym in Boston
Quote | Reply
I'll be in Boston this weekend to watch my parents run the marathon. I've got IMTX in a couple of weeks, and I'm looking for a pool and possibly a gym with a treadmill for the next few days. The pool is the priority. We're staying at a place near Back Bay from the looks of the map. I know absolutely nothing about Boston. Any help would be appreciated. Any pizza recommendations would also be welcome ;). Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Pool/Gym in Boston [CajunCannon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Boston Sports Club next to South Station has a pool, not sure if they do one-day guest drop-ins. For pizza, go to Halftime across the street from the Garden, although that area will be a zoo tonight (and Halftime will be packed).

"You can never win or lose if you don't run the race." - Richard Butler

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

I think most YMCAs will do a day pass? There's one in Brighton and one in West Newton. There's also a decent masters team that trains at Blodgett (Harvard's pool) that I know allows drop-ins, but they may need to be pre-arranged, not sure. They have a Sunday morning workout that might fit.

There's no mind-blowing pizza available here, and since you're doing IMTX in a few weeks, you shouldn't be eating it anyway. Go find a sweetgreens. If you insist then I guess my favorite pizzas would be either Picco Pizza in the south end or Posto pizza in Somerville. But Regina or Umberto's in the north end are kind of old school favorites (Regina's ONLY from the north end).

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MIT pool and rec facility, an awesome place. Open to the public. Look it up on swimmersguide.com
Quote Reply
Re: Pool/Gym in Boston [J7] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
X2 on MIT pool. Worth the trip across the river.

"You can never win or lose if you don't run the race." - Richard Butler

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I go to MIT and based on the number of people in the pool who are not part of MIT, I'm pretty sure it's the best pool in Boston. If you go, make sure to check the schedule ahead of time so you don't wander into a swim meet or water polo game. The walk from Back Bay is nice and takes like 25 minutes. Don't get tricked into using the 1 bus, it blows - always late and comes in twos.

http://www.mitrecsports.com/pool-schedule-z/?week=1

If you're here for longer than Monday, you can check out the Tech masters squad; they allow drop ins usually with morning, midday and night meetings.

Picco in South end has ok pizza but usually can be crowded at night. The old guard likes Regina's.

I like analyzing things - http://engineeringfitness.org
Quote Reply