Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Poll: How would you like to die???
Quote | Reply
This subject came up in another thread and some persons objected to the "derailment" of said thread, so here we are. The question is would you like to "die with your boots on", e.g. in a swim, bike, run, or tri event, or would you prefer to go quietly at home "surrounded by your loved ones"??? I for one vote for going out with a bang at some sort of race, or even in a hard workout. Screw "going gently into that good night", and I see no need to say any "final good-byes".

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: Poll: How would you like to die??? [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericmulk wrote:
This subject came up in another thread and some persons objected to the "derailment" of said thread, so here we are. The question is would you like to "die with your boots on", e.g. in a swim, bike, run, or tri event, or would you prefer to go quietly at home "surrounded by your loved ones"??? I for one vote for going out with a bang at some sort of race, or even in a hard workout. Screw "going gently into that good night", and I see no need to say any "final good-byes".

A Great White biting me in half is how I would like to go.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My view on this changed 18 months ago. I always said it would be whilst out riding my bike / racing. Do what I love.

And then I rode past the ambulance paramedic giving cardiac massage to the corpse of a rider in a race I was doing. I didn't know the guy, but I was still totally smacked by the effect it had on my, and with 8km to go of the 100 I was gone. Just soft pedalled back to the finish, got in the car, called my family, then drove home. And it hit me that once I go I'm gone. It's the people left behind, those I know and those that are present in the location who will be potentially traumatised by the way I go.

And of course the notion of 'dropping dead' or 'instant' isn't always the case. And so I'm a lot less bullish about heading out and 'carefree' now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd like to die peacefully in my sleep, not screaming in fear like my passengers.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The important questions seems to me whether I want to know it's coming, be caught by surprise, or never know what hit me. At what age, and whether I'd trade pain for time.
At home asleep or on my bike is much more trivial.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I will head off like the elephants into the bush to die quietly with my touring bike. Maybe a " sky burial" in Tibet. Could be next month or next year,who knows? I do often wonder how long it would be before anyone noticed I was missing.
Dying suddenly biking or racing or something like that bothers me because I wouldn't want someone to have to deal with the responsibility of all my stuff and the funeral,etc,etc,etc...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In my sleep, but not with family around. I want people to say, "It was time" and not be surprised. My grandfather passed in his sleep and my grandmother found out when she woke next to him in the morning. She wasn't ready. Like somebody said, at that point I'd want to make it as easy as possible for those around me.

http://www.sfuelsgolonger.com
Quote Reply
Re: Poll: How would you like to die??? [MattyK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MattyK wrote:
I'd like to die peacefully in my sleep, not screaming in fear like my passengers.

The joke is: "I'd like to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather did, not screaming in fear like his passengers on the bus"

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Poll: How would you like to die??? [MattyK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MattyK wrote:

You win the thread.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
To me, what's totally off about hearing the question and seeing "die doing what you love" is that I immediately think about the process of dying for that person. Usually, they don't die instantly. Like you're doing what you love one second then in line with St Peter the next. Usually, there is a good amount of horror and pain. Then there's the possibility of those who are friends or loved ones seeing it happen and being horrified also.

Nobody ever said that horror and pain is "what they love". So for me, that's a "no".

I've been in a bad wreck in a sprint and hauled off in an ambulance. Screw that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bon Scott's certificate says "Death by Misadventure"

That works for me, as long as it's sudden & painless

Anything but drowning - that thought just horrifies me

Quote Reply
Re: Poll: How would you like to die??? [zedzded] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
zedzded wrote:
ericmulk wrote:

A Great White biting me in half is how I would like to go.

What a noble way to go.
Quote Reply
Re: Poll: How would you like to die??? [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
Bon Scott's certificate says "Death by Misadventure"

That works for me, as long as it's sudden & painless

Anything but drowning - that thought just horrifies me

Choking on your own vomit ain’t no way to go out and is likely similar to drowning. Although if you’re so smashed you’re choking on your own vomit, then you may not know it’s happening?
Quote Reply
Re: Poll: How would you like to die??? [Vols] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I didn't mean I'd want to go EXACTLY like he did, just have it say "Death by Misadventure"

"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming 'Wow! What a Ride!'" - HST

Also, I want my gravestone to say "Have A Drink On Me" as I hope high schoolers are still partying in cemeteries - as I did - long after I'm gone

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Whichever way nature chooses for me, but timing would be ideal after my parents and before my son. Other than that, gotta go when the time is up doing whatever I am doing on that day, so just make each day as good as possible in case it is today.
Quote Reply
Re: Poll: How would you like to die??? [timr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Last week, I lost my great-aunt. She was diagnosed with an abdominal aneurism about 5 years ago, and knew that it could go at any time. It finally went, and 3 days later she passed away in her sleep. Other than being unable to visit due to Covid, people had time to process, it was fairly painless for her, there was no prolonged suffering, and she had reasonably good quality of life (for an 86 year old on oxygen due to a lifetime of smoking) right up until she went into the hospital.

We've all gotta go sometime, and that seems like the best way. How I go isn't about me, but who is left behind.

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ericmulk wrote:

But does your family?

I'll vote for being around my family as I am pretty sure my family would want to be there for it.
Last edited by: M~: Apr 21, 21 6:00
Quote Reply
Re: Poll: How would you like to die??? [M~] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
M~ wrote:
ericmulk wrote:

But does your family?

I'll vote for being around my family as I am pretty sure my family would want to be there for it.

I think he asked you to post how you would like to die, not what he or his family cares about. Go ahead now, or just let others post how they want to without questioning their desires.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In a perfect world, as an old man staring into the eyes of my children as I fade away with the understanding they know how much I love them and how proud of them I am.

Otherwise, I'd settle for climaxing and simultaneously being shot in the back of the head without knowing it was about to happen. Aka..instant death with a smile on my face.
Quote Reply
Re: Poll: How would you like to die??? [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
M~ wrote:
ericmulk wrote:

But does your family?

I think he asked you to post how you would like to die, not what he or his family cares about. Go ahead now, or just let others post how they want to without questioning their desires.

WTF has gotten into you? I answered the question and posed another question. Isn't that what a forum is for? Back and forth conversations and fluidity of conversation? I am offering a different perspective to him.
Quote Reply
Re: Poll: How would you like to die??? [M~] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
OK sorry, but it came across on the other thread and this one like you are implying your values are superior to his or others. Just let him die how he wants without commenting on how he wants to die
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If I could choose, it would be without any lingering. Either snuffed out or ready and peaceful. The thought of laying around a la Johnny got his gun is pretty bad.

My Blog - http://leegoocrap.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I always tell my students that I would like to go on my 100 birthday - assuming I was in good health. The fantasy would be something like I'm sitting down in front of the family and grandkids, they are singing happy birthday and I blow out the candles and then I fall face first into the cake. It would be alternately hilarious and terrifying at the same time. Seems like a fun way to go. Other than that - suddenly and no pain please.
Quote Reply
Re: Poll: How would you like to die??? [Morelock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Morelock wrote:
The thought of laying around a la Johnny got his gun is pretty bad.

Excellent reference

Quote Reply

Prev Next