Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Polar V800 - Ask me anything [Oskar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oskar wrote:
mhawryl wrote:

Am I missing something, or is there no way to view recovery status on the Flow App?

I have only seen recovery status on the Flow web and in the V800 itself. Not in the app.

This would be great addition to the Flow App.

Chris, regarding the web Flow: are there plans to add the possibility to see Elevation Gain on the Progress charts? This would be very much welcomed. I believe that is possible on the polarpersonaltrainer.com, but since the data does not sync that way, it is no use as fall back.
Quote Reply
Re: Polar V800 - Ask me anything [j--l] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
This would be great addition to the Flow App.

We totally agree - and have this planned.

We're also looking at elevation gain as an option to overlay in any Progress.. That's for sure a great metric to follow..
Quote Reply
Re: Polar V800 - Ask me anything [Chris@Polar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I thought I should post a list of things that I'd love to see implemented on the V800 / Flow Web / App. Any feedback is useful right?

Some are duplicates from above, and I have noted the ones that I think are already planned.

Also note that my main sports are rowing and cycling.

Flow App / Web
  • Nutrition/food logging, or ideally integration with a service like MyFitnessPal
  • Data export [planned]
  • Calendar sync (an ics feed for example)
  • Android and Windows Phone support (I understand the decision to start with iOS, but broadening to Android and WP would be excellent). [planned]*
  • Route planning

Watch
  • Step count / inactivity alerts / activity breakdown on the watch itself
  • Power meter support [planned]
  • Rowing strokes per minute (SPM). Could use the accelerometer to calculate this? This would be awesome.
  • Smartwatch features - eg. SMS notifications.

That's all I had on my list at the moment, but I'll add more if I think of them.

*WP Bluetooth Smart/LE/4.0 support will be supported on all devices imminently.

PS - Having had the watch for a week, and even with the missing features, I love it. It gets a lot of interest at work too!
Quote Reply
Re: Polar V800 - Ask me anything [jwshale] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jwshale wrote:
I thought I should post a list of things that I'd love to see implemented on the V800 / Flow Web / App. Any feedback is useful right?

Some are duplicates from above, and I have noted the ones that I think are already planned.

Also note that my main sports are rowing and cycling.

Flow App / Web
  • Nutrition/food logging, or ideally integration with a service like MyFitnessPal
  • Data export [planned]
  • Calendar sync (an ics feed for example)
  • Android and Windows Phone support (I understand the decision to start with iOS, but broadening to Android and WP would be excellent). [planned]*
  • Route planning

Watch
  • Step count / inactivity alerts / activity breakdown on the watch itself
  • Power meter support [planned]
  • Rowing strokes per minute (SPM). Could use the accelerometer to calculate this? This would be awesome.

That's all I had on my list at the moment, but I'll add more if I think of them.

*WP Bluetooth Smart/LE/4.0 support will be supported on all devices imminently.

PS - Having had the watch for a week, and even with the missing features, I love it. It gets a lot of interest at work too!

Great feedback! I can say that every single point on your list is planned except for rowing strokes, I can't promise the time table for each other than what I've shared already though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Chris@Polar wrote:
jwshale wrote:

Great feedback! I can say that every single point on your list is planned except for rowing strokes, I can't promise the time table for each other than what I've shared already though.

Gawd I hope Polar has the sense to make this optional! Last time I checked the Fenix had no way to disable notifications if BlueTooth was enabled. The last thing I want is my watch beeping, buzzing, or flashing every time I get an email or text message.
Quote Reply
Re: Polar V800 - Ask me anything [sathomasga] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sathomasga wrote:
Chris@Polar wrote:
jwshale wrote:

Gawd I hope Polar has the sense to make this optional! Last time I checked the Fenix had no way to disable notifications if BlueTooth was enabled. The last thing I want is my watch beeping, buzzing, or flashing every time I get an email or text message.

Sounds like an easy way to one-up Garmin there!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry if this was discussed earlier (but I did skim 9 pages of posts). . .

I ran a triathlon this past Sunday, and I used my footpod for the run portion. I accidentally knocked off my speed/cadence sensor while mounting my bike, so my bicycle speed was calculated using GPS only and was spot on to the official distance and time.

The issue I experienced during the run was that the V800 reported an average pace of 7:15/mile with a distance of 4.05 miles (and I was pretty stoked to be running faster that 7:30/mile). However, the actual distance was 3.23 miles and my pace was officially 9:02/mile. Had I seen this pace on my watch, I would have kicked it up a notch.

I recall reading some posts regarding calibration, etc. I am assuming that my pace/distance was being calculated by the V800 using the footpod and not the GPS (since the GPS was dead on during the bike portion). I like knowing my cadence, but my stride varies too much over the course of a run for me to feel confident in using it to calculate speed or distance - even if I did calibrate it.

Is it possible to have the V800 use GPS for speed & distance during runs while wearing the footpod?

Which also leads into the question of when will we be able to edit our workouts in flow?
Quote Reply
Re: Polar V800 - Ask me anything [mhawryl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mhawryl wrote:

I recall reading some posts regarding calibration, etc. I am assuming that my pace/distance was being calculated by the V800 using the footpod and not the GPS (since the GPS was dead on during the bike portion). I like knowing my cadence, but my stride varies too much over the course of a run for me to feel confident in using it to calculate speed or distance - even if I did calibrate it.

Is it possible to have the V800 use GPS for speed & distance during runs while wearing the footpod?

Which also leads into the question of when will we be able to edit our workouts in flow?

V800 will use stride sensor for speed/pace/distance if it's available. At the moment there is no way to set the preference to be GPS. But we've heard the feedback here(and elsewhere) people would like this option. So we're looking into it. I'd recommend doing a manual calibration on the footpod though. You can for sure get it pretty accurate with calibration.

On your second question, we have this in the "must have" list of updates - though I don't have a timeline on the release.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you, Chris.

Many have mentioned it, but I want to say it again. . .

Opening this forum and allowing us to have a direct conversation with you as a representative of Polar is great. Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Polar V800 - Ask me anything [mhawryl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Absolutely! Our pleasure.

Internally, these types of conversations are widely considered the single most important part of how we do business.

Big thanks to Dan for giving us the ability to be present here.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just saw some pictures of IM Frankfurt and noticed Freddie Van Lierde not wearing his polar. Any reason why?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Chris@Polar wrote:
Absolutely! Our pleasure.

Internally, these types of conversations are widely considered the single most important part of how we do business.

Big thanks to Dan for giving us the ability to be present here.

Hi Chris, just curious why there is no involvement such as yours on the official polar.fi forum, there are so many users over there who could do with answers and feedback on their comments.

It's great to see it happening all the same so don't take this as criticism. Thanks for your responses, it's a great read and resource.

#GottaRun
http://twitter.com/runningmatters_
http://www.feileacanmor.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ok, some other potential bug fix opportunities (should be low hanging fruit for your developers):

• Flow website

• On the progress tab, all information is a day behind. Thinks today is Tuesday, not Wednesday. Normal calendar view is accurate
  • Flow app (iPhone 5):

• Despite settings configured for week to start on Sunday, training diary starts on Monday
    • My units change to metric at random times (3 or 4 times total). I go to update my weight and it's in KG. I have to go into settings (which still shows imperial), switch to metric and then back to imperial to see weight in pounds.
  • Flow Mobile Website (using Chrome on my iPhone 5):

• Diary page - data range options include: Today, Month, Day. There is no option to see "Week" (like in the app or the full desktop site)

Quote Reply
Re: Polar V800 - Ask me anything [tucktri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tucktri wrote:
Just saw some pictures of IM Frankfurt and noticed Freddie Van Lierde not wearing his polar. Any reason why?

this

nice tan line from a watch but no watch, all his past events he has worn one including kona

"Base training is bull shit" - desertdude
Quote Reply
Re: Polar V800 - Ask me anything [thirstygreek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Given that he only needed to validate, he probably decided to race Frankfurt based on perceived effort as an experiment.
Quote Reply
Re: Polar V800 - Ask me anything [Holyman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He finished second and almost broke 8 hours. He didn't race like he just had to validate.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Credit to him for racing well based on perceived effort then.
Quote Reply
Re: Polar V800 - Ask me anything [Holyman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well he rides with an SRM......but yeah helluva a race
Quote Reply
Post deleted by sny [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tucktri wrote:

He had it on when signing photos. Suspect the feature set is rich enough for sitting on your hole, but no where near rich enough for actually doing a triathlon.
Quote Reply
Re: Polar V800 - Ask me anything [ddave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Eh, I am completely in love with mine. When I bought it I knew it was an incomplete product and would take months to implement all features, which is why I'm keeping the 910XT for training and swimming.

Piece of cake to attach sensors to bike (and a nightmare with the Garmin ones) and the foot pod is picked up seamlessly and the Mio Link works great. I love setting up the profiles on the web. The thing just works. No regrets here. By the end of the year we'll have swim metrics, tons of bug fixes, and Bluetooth upload through Android.

If you want to be an early adopter, you will pay a company to be a beta tester.
Last edited by: GatorDeb: Jul 17, 14 2:26
Quote Reply
Re: Polar V800 - Ask me anything [GatorDeb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Oh look Kittel only wears his when not active too

Polar V800 - great for sitting around or counting steps
Quote Reply
Re: Polar V800 - Ask me anything [ddave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
At lease it works when sitting around - can't say the same thing about my Garmin it won't work when I am working out or sitting around.
Quote Reply
Re: Polar V800 - Ask me anything [thirstygreek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
thirstygreek wrote:
tucktri wrote:

nice tan line from a watch but no watch, all his past events he has worn one including kona

He wears the V800 for all training and racing. I wasn't on site personally but I believe it was accidental.
Last edited by: Chris@Polar: Jul 17, 14 7:32
Quote Reply
Re: Polar V800 - Ask me anything [GatorDeb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GatorDeb wrote:
Eh, I am completely in love with mine. .

Awesomeness
Quote Reply

Prev Next