Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Polar V800 - Ask me anything [sny] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sny wrote:
Hey, Chris,

could you shed some light on the storage capacity of the device? The manual states 60 hours with GPS and HR. I'm assuming this is with 1s interval. Would it be roughly 60 times more with the GPS in power-save mode and without HR? Any other factors affecting this?

Also, do you have any suggestions for removing scratches from the screen? I've had a V800 for only a week and I've already managed to catch a scratch on it. Hopefully I'm still able to see through the glass a year from now:D

It was 8mb memory. The 60hours is with GPS and heart rate with a recording rate of 1s. Other things like speed, cadence, power(soon) have an impact. Your rough 60x calculation with Low Power mode is a good estimate for sure.

On the scratches, I'm surprised you got one so quick. The lens is gorrilla glass! If you do a quick google search for fixing scratches on gorilla glass you'll find some good techniques, none I can specifically endorse though ;0)
Quote Reply
Re: Polar V800 - Ask me anything [Chris@Polar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Chris,

This watch works great for cardiovascular exercises where heart rate or distance is a good proxy for intensity.
But, this doesn't work for strength sports.
My primary sport is rock climbing.
Duration times a manual intensity level would be better.
Since the watch does notice the altitude changes with enough accuracy for even gym routes and my heart rate does spike while I climb, the watch could record each spike as a route and give me a chance to enter the grade of the route from a list.
The list would only have to be 12 items long to list all the grades I would climb.
Each grade could be given a manual intensity level.
So the total effort and therefore recovery time for a Rockclimbing workout would be:
total = <route1-duration>*<route1-grade-intensity>+...+<routeN-duration>*<routeN-grade-intensity>
If you wanted to be really accurate, you could provide two other terms in the equation: stationary non-climbing duration and hiking time moving to and from climbs. Stationary time consists of dealing with gear and belaying with about the effort of approximately a casual walk and for hiking the watch already does a great job of measuring effort.

thanks for taking input, Scott
Quote Reply
Re: Polar V800 - Ask me anything [lextrounce] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lextrounce wrote:
Hi Chris,

This watch works great for cardiovascular exercises where heart rate or distance is a good proxy for intensity.
But, this doesn't work for strength sports.
My primary sport is rock climbing.
Duration times a manual intensity level would be better.
Since the watch does notice the altitude changes with enough accuracy for even gym routes and my heart rate does spike while I climb, the watch could record each spike as a route and give me a chance to enter the grade of the route from a list.
The list would only have to be 12 items long to list all the grades I would climb.
Each grade could be given a manual intensity level.
So the total effort and therefore recovery time for a Rockclimbing workout would be:
total = <route1-duration>*<route1-grade-intensity>+...+<routeN-duration>*<routeN-grade-intensity>
If you wanted to be really accurate, you could provide two other terms in the equation: stationary non-climbing duration and hiking time moving to and from climbs. Stationary time consists of dealing with gear and belaying with about the effort of approximately a casual walk and for hiking the watch already does a great job of measuring effort.

thanks for taking input, Scott

Thanks for the feedback Scott. Much appreciated!

While the V800 is designed for triathlon / multisport - the application of some of the hardware is obviously much greater. Our core focus will be enhancing the device for use in triathlon for the immediate future though =) Beyond that we'll absolutely look at feedback like this for future enhancements.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Chris@Polar wrote:
While the V800 is designed for triathlon / multisport - the application of some of the hardware is obviously much greater. Our core focus will be enhancing the device for use in triathlon for the immediate future though =) Beyond that we'll absolutely look at feedback like this for future enhancements.

Well, please at least add Climbing (preferably: Bouldering, Rock Climbing etc.) to the list of available Sport Profiles. There is extensive list of sports, but for some reason Climbing is missing! It would be great!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Chris,

I was on vacation so today was the first time that I tried to use the HRM for swimming after the firmware update. It was an utter failure. I even tried turning GPS and auto lap tracking off and JUST use the HRM. Nothing. In playing around with it, I could put it in swimming mode and get an HRM to register... if both my chest and the watch was above water. If I dipped either into the water... NOTHING. I tried to start it with my chest underwater hoping that perhaps after failing to work via BT it would default to the other frequency... again NOTHING. I love my V800 for bike rides and as a general activity watch, but this is very disappointing.

I'm trying to think about what I can tell you to help figure out what is going on. Just to confirm, I'm using a Polar H7 HRM and my V800 is at firmware level 1.0.10

Mark
Quote Reply
Re: Polar V800 - Ask me anything [mecrtp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi. My first post on the forums, having received my V800 two days ago. I have been exploring the features of the watch and the web and Android software. I have been monitoring my exercise bike sessions with the watch and also Polar Beat (Android). I like to use Polar Beat because I find the real time graphical HR display to be very motivational. With upload to the web directly this should render use of the watch at the same time unnecessary. Unfortunately this seems not to be so....

When I upload a session from the watch the training load is calculated and included for my overall load and recovery. When I upload from Polar Beat the training load is completely ignored and I get no credit for the effort. I can continue to use both the watch (for training load) and the app (for real time motivation) and then delete the app version of the exercise from Polar Flow but why is this necessary? Why does Polar Beat give no credit for training load?

On a side note, I am not an athlete (tri or otherwise), but a 51 year old male trying (successfully) to lose weight, get fitter and keep motivated. So far I am loving the watch and the features on offer. I look forward to Polar Flow (Android) supporting the V800.

EDIT to add a demonstration. Here is a screen print to show an exercise session from this evening. On the left is data from the Polar Beat app. On the right is data from the watch. You can see that data is an almost perfect match for duration, calories and heart rate. However, the watch provides a value for training load whilst Polar Beat provides nothing of th kind. This omission carries over back to the watch if I only use the app and then sync back to the watch online. There is also a discrepancy in fat burn %age, which concerns me less, but is still a disparity which ought not to exist.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
Getting fitter, not fatter
Last edited by: eezytiger: Jul 19, 14 13:47
Quote Reply
Post deleted by sny [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Chris,

I have another feature I'd like to request (unless I've missed it and it's already there): Calorie Burn Prediction

If the watch was able to give an estimate of how many calories would be reached at the end of the day, by using the remainder of BMR and perhaps a nominal activity level of "Sitting", that would be excellent. It could also incorporate any "planned" activities into the prediction. I think that would really help for athletes trying to manage their nutrition, since it would allow easier planning of meals etc. If possible it ought to be a screen available on the watch itself, for easy reference.

Hope that makes sense, and that I'm not the only one!

John

PS - Otherwise very much enjoying my first couple of weeks with the watch. Very interesting to see the activity levels and recovery status on top of my training.
PPS - On the Flow web service, it seems the default privacy setting for sessions is "private". While this is great for data protection concerns in this day and age, would it be possible to switch it to "public", such that more people's activities show up on the "Explore" page? Or perhaps a reminder on that page? It just seems a shame that there are so few activities on the map (or perhaps I really am just an early adopter in Cambridge, UK!).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Will automatic Trainingpeaks Sync become available, like Garmin just got. From a coaches point of view its a huge asset when recommending a watch for athletes.

My site: http://www.idpoet.me

Quote Reply
Re: Polar V800 - Ask me anything [sny] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sny wrote:
Chris@Polar wrote:

It was 8mb memory. The 60hours is with GPS and heart rate with a recording rate of 1s. Other things like speed, cadence, power(soon) have an impact. Your rough 60x calculation with Low Power mode is a good estimate for sure.

So adding speed and cadence (to HR and GPS) would reduce this roughly by half - to 30 hours?

Is the 8MB reserved for storage or is this the total amount in the device for everything (including firmware). Would future firmware upgrades, with features added and image size increasing, reduce the (workout) storage capacity?

Feature upgrades and such will not impact the training memory.

We had chart used internally with various scenarios and sensors impact on file capacity. I'm on the road right now but will try to find it tomorrow.
Quote Reply
Re: Polar V800 - Ask me anything [jwshale] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jwshale wrote:
Hi Chris,

I have another feature I'd like to request (unless I've missed it and it's already there): Calorie Burn Prediction

If the watch was able to give an estimate of how many calories would be reached at the end of the day, by using the remainder of BMR and perhaps a nominal activity level of "Sitting", that would be excellent. It could also incorporate any "planned" activities into the prediction. I think that would really help for athletes trying to manage their nutrition, since it would allow easier planning of meals etc. If possible it ought to be a screen available on the watch itself, for easy reference.

Hope that makes sense, and that I'm not the only one!

John

PS - Otherwise very much enjoying my first couple of weeks with the watch. Very interesting to see the activity levels and recovery status on top of my training.
PPS - On the Flow web service, it seems the default privacy setting for sessions is "private". While this is great for data protection concerns in this day and age, would it be possible to switch it to "public", such that more people's activities show up on the "Explore" page? Or perhaps a reminder on that page? It just seems a shame that there are so few activities on the map (or perhaps I really am just an early adopter in Cambridge, UK!).

Good feedback for sure. We'll build on the calories in vs calories out thing quite a bit soon - people will be very excited to see what's coming here.
Quote Reply
Re: Polar V800 - Ask me anything [Malikules] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Malikules wrote:
Will automatic Trainingpeaks Sync become available, like Garmin just got. From a coaches point of view its a huge asset when recommending a watch for athletes.

Yes, for sure. ;0)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That is great. Thanks alot.

My site: http://www.idpoet.me

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Chris@Polar wrote:
profanum429 wrote:
I was wondering if there are any updates on footpod calibration? Currently the Automatic setting doesn't seem to be working for me. I'll still get pretty weird distances on known length runs when using it so I've had to switch to manual calibration for the moment. Also any chance we'll see an option to select the GPS as the distance measurement while taking cadence only from the footpod?

Both definitely on our radar - but I don't have a time frame at the moment. I'll report back

The footpod is quite useless when running with varying paces during one session. Today my first kilometer was actually at the 1.5km mark with the footpod.
I am actually thinking about not using the pod anymore as long as the GPS can't be used for distance measurement. Not having the cadence data is the better option for me than having the distance that wrong.
Is there a chance to get an ETA for the "cadence only" option for the footpad?
Last edited by: zap: Jul 22, 14 0:00
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Chris@Polar wrote:
Malikules wrote:

Yes, for sure. ;0)

I do hope sync to Strava and file export (standard format, no separate hrm/gpx) are coming... are they?
Quote Reply
Re: Polar V800 - Ask me anything [j--l] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
j--l wrote:
I do hope sync to Strava and file export (standard format, no separate hrm/gpx) are coming... are they?

This is the single (well, two) most important feature from my point of view, automatic Strava and file export. Notice the 'automatic' part, I don't think anyone should need to do manual exports anymore, it's a PITA. Automatic, but configurable.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:

Yes THIS!!

"Base training is bull shit" - desertdude
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Excellent - I'm excited already :)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
j--l wrote:
Chris@Polar wrote:
Malikules wrote:

Yes, for sure. ;0)

I'd be surprised if they give us .tcx downloads (since they are a Garmin thing) but to be honest *any* readable format will do for now!!

I'm using two apps/services at the moment to deal with automating hrm/gps files to Strava (And Runkeeper and Endomondo!):

* TxcCreator - Watches for and converts hrm+gpx files to tcx, then uploads (to Strava), sends or saves them automatically. I save to a Dropbox folder.
* tapiriik.com - Sycs to/from Dropbox (tcx files)/Strava/Endomondo and a bunch of others
* veloviewer.com - for crunching data from Strava - seriously if you use Strava you must check this out! It's one of the reasons why having access to all the data is so important, because it makes this kind of site possible. It blows Strava out of the water for data analysis and comparison, but Strava doesn't care because it's not Strava's core business goal. Both can coexist and everybody is happy!

So I have my entire history from PPT5 since 2007 in Strava, Runkeeper, Dropbox and Endomondo now, and they all sync automatically whenever I add a new exercise in one of the places.

The only thing I don't have - thanks to the huge step backwards here, is heart rate data from my most recent runs/rides anywhere except flow since purchasing the v800. Why not? Several reasons (already mentioned above but I'll summarise because this is important to me):

* We can't yet get heart rate data from flow, or directly from the v800, or any way at all in fact short of studying and manually copying the graphs on flow
* Using the H7 strap alongside another BLE device (e.g. phone) doesn't work because BLE re-broadcasting doesn't yet work with any phones/devices I've tried, so only the v800 gets a signal.
* Using the H7 alongside another BLE device and letting the v800 use the 5kHz signal also doesn't work, as it is too weak to give a reliable reading (see examples above)

The only reason I continue to buy Polar wrist units is because I am so impressed with the hardware, and the reliability of heart rate data and such - if I was only interested in the data side of things then I would almost exclusively just use a smartphone now, perhaps with a smartwatch. I knew data export would be delayed since I'm not stupid and I read the release notes when I ordered the v800 - but it was widely reported that the v800 would re-broadcast the HR signal to other devices, and that's really why I went for it - because I tend to run with my phone anyway (for music) so firing up Strava/Runkeeper was an ok workaround until September, on the assumption they could also get access to HR data from the H7.

My dream would be to be able to leave the phone at home (or tucked away in a pocket somewhere), go out for a run/ride/whatever, then come home, hold the back button to sync - and within a few moments see my exercise reported correctly in all the places I want it to be. In the meantime, I'd be happy figuring out some workarounds, but first Polar needs to fix some roadblocks to even make that possible.

P.s. I tried to write a Greasemonkey script for the flow site to allow me to download (scrape) heart rate data from the graphs (since all the raw data is in the client side Javascript), but whilst it is theoretically possible, the data resolution would be very low, because the data used to draw the graphs is perhaps one data point each 10 seconds, rather than 1 second. I did find some more api calls that seem to get the raw HR data, but I haven't been back to poke around again since the last time - it is the summer hols after all ;o)

P.p.s. Sorry for the tangent rant - this is a thread set up for Chris to answer questions (which is appreciated), not take stuff like this on the chin! There are probably a few questions that can be derived from this, like is Polar aware of some/all of these issues and if/when they will be addressed, but I think it's becoming a case of flogging a dead horse so I'm willing to cool off for a few weeks and see what the team comes up with...
Last edited by: rooster_russ: Jul 22, 14 6:21
Quote Reply
Re: Polar V800 - Ask me anything [acco] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
acco wrote:
j--l wrote:

This is the single (well, two) most important feature from my point of view, automatic Strava and file export. Notice the 'automatic' part, I don't think anyone should need to do manual exports anymore, it's a PITA. Automatic, but configurable.

Agreed
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How do I get the recording to pause when I'm not moving? Currently I hit he back buttom and have to restart the recording when I start again.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Chris@Polar wrote:
Agreed

Don't know how much you actually can influence what Development is doing back in Finland, but I really appreciate you communicating on ST. That's not really happening on forum.polar.fi
Quote Reply
Re: Polar V800 - Ask me anything [coryalps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
coryalps wrote:
How do I get the recording to pause when I'm not moving? Currently I hit he back buttom and have to restart the recording when I start again.

Manually pausing requires you to restart. You can turn on autopause - it's an option in the sport profile that will do it based on speed(gps). This feature is also in the Quick Menu - pause during an activity, press and hold top left, scroll down to Auto Pause and edit.
Quote Reply
Re: Polar V800 - Ask me anything [acco] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
acco wrote:
Chris@Polar wrote:

Agreed

Don't know how much you actually can influence what Development is doing back in Finland, but I really appreciate you communicating on ST. That's not really happening on forum.polar.fi

Great. And though I am located here in the US - I work closely with the team at HQ. Consumer feedback, both from here (and Polar forums) get rolled up to the dev team constantly. We have internal processes in place to facilitate that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Chris,

Great posts and I agree with previous threads that syncing with Strava/ Training peaks is a huge thing. For the meantime, Chris I'm having issues with Polar V800 recording heart rate and cadence. I own a Viiiva HRM strap and an Adidas Speedcell. The Viiiva and PolarV800 works when I'm cycling - I get accurate heart rate data. But for some reason, when I switch to Running, it fails to record. Now, I know the Viiiva is still transmitting a signal; as my Garmin 310XT picks it up but for some reason, it only works when I'm cycling. Secondly, I have successfully synced my Adidas Speed Cell with the Polar V800 but it aint picking up cadence on my watch. Strangely enough, the data is there when I upload to PolarSync but there is no display of cadence on my watch itself when I run. Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers, ET
Quote Reply

Prev Next