Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Point Blimfark: a proposed new PC term
Quote | Reply
A comedian, Rich somebody, defined Point Blimfark as: the moment when the wagon wheels on the old west shows seemed to slow to a stop, then actually appear to turn in reverse.

I would like to reintroduce this term: Point Blimfark; to describe the point on the PC learning curve where you no longer have to limit your pedalling because your hip flexors have been fried like a squirrel that chewed into a 220volt line.

I rode, I mean RODE!! in a 53X12 gear for an hour on my rollers. FINALLY, my heartrate was the limiting factor in my ride (trying to stay aerobic, you know!), not my previously pansy-like hip flexors. It feels just like giving birth...you just know you MUST at some point PUSH!!! And pushing sure felt great!

Oh, sure, it's taken me 32 days, but with encouragement from a couple of people ("Just don't wimp out, keep the rpm's at your goal", and "If you aren't real good at a skill, it means you just need to do more of it"), as well some specific workouts sent to me, I can proudly say I've reached Point Blimfark. Thanks to everyone that cheered me on while I struggled. I should also thank my mother, my second cousin twice removed, (the first time he escaped), the paperboy, my ex-girlfriend(s) and their dog/cat/iguana/snails, blahblahblahblah....

I'm happy about it, does it show?

Quid quid latine dictum sit altum videtur
(That which is said in Latin sounds profound)
Quote Reply
Re: Point Blimfark: a proposed new PC term [ktalon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Most Impressive. You and your hip flexors have brought great honor upon yourself, your unit and your nation. I speak for everyone here when I give you our heartfelt congratulations.

seriously though, that is an awesome workout.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
I will immortalize your coinage ... [ktalon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
in a future edition of the instructions. If anyone ever reads them you may become famous.

Frank

--------------
Frank,
An original Ironman and the Inventor of PowerCranks
Quote Reply
Re: I will immortalize your coinage ... [Frank Day] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dang it mr day !! ktalon becomes famous by coming up with a silly and humorous word, and i had to suffer thru 100 mi of day 3 hip flexor hell !! :) man, i wish i was smarter sometimes.
Quote Reply
Because of your immortal ride on day 3 ... [t-t-n] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
you don't have to come up with silly words to be famous. Everyone (at least those who have seriously ridden the PC's) is in awe of that accomplishment.

--------------
Frank,
Quote Reply
Frankfluid... [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Frankfluid is a description of either: The juice found in a package of Hot-dog weiners, or, the smoothness at which PCer's pedal when doing it correctly.

TTN, I'd gladly credit you with these silly terms if you could give me your ability to ride 100miles the first day out on your PC's!

Quote Reply
Another great term ... [ktalon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
and I will take FRANKfluid as a compliment. Maybe we should have a poll to come up with terms that best describe PC states and changes.

Frank

--------------
Frank,
Quote Reply
Ow and Wow [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ow is the first 4 weeks on them and Wow is at 6-8 months when the speed kicks in. I am not sure what call the between section and I am hoping that the 2 year mark is to fast to be labeled.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Could Point Blimfark be a sniglet (a word that isn't in the dictionary but should be) as popularized by Rich Hall on HBO in the 80's? Don't know a thing about PC's but Point Blimfark is apparently an apt description.

RP
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry to interrupt all of the wit and humor, but can you PC studs tell me if you are able to do those rides in an aero position. After about a month (but only 2x a week), I was finally able to hit a hard 30 minutes today on my computrainer. But I can only get down on aerobars for a matter of seconds at a time. What kind of learning curve did you have with regard to position?
Quote Reply
It is going to take you a long time ... [Mantis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
to be able to ride them comfortably and powerfully in the aero position if you are only riding them 2 days a week. I am actually impressed you were able to get to a hard 30 minutes with that kind of use.

--------------
Frank,
Quote Reply
Re: Point Blimfark: a proposed new PC term [rhpreston] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Could Point Blimfark be a sniglet (a word that isn't in the dictionary but should be) as popularized by Rich Hall on HBO in the 80's?

RICH HALL! That's the guy that came up with sniglets...if you noticed, I tried to give him credit in my first post, I couldn't remember his name. You should get some sort of award! PS. You must be OLD. Like me!

Quote Reply
Aero? What's that? [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm just now able to ride an hour sitting in a semi-aero position. I'm really not too concerned about it. I'm trying to get to about 3 hours riding time before I'll really crank down to try for long periods in the aero position. I do get on the aero bars every once in a while, but it isn't my true aero racing positon. My handlebars are still higher than normal, and my seat is further back. And I can't keep down in this semi-aero position for more than a few minutes at a time, so, I'm obviously no stud PCer, yet...I'm more like a splinter!

Quote Reply
Re: Aero? What's that? [ktalon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You guys that live on trainers/rollers amaze me. Due to basketball knees, I primarily do short races. I will ride on the road for 3 hours, but in 18 years, I have never spent more than 45 minutes on a trainer and rarely more than 30 and I regularly ride a trainer. You have something in your head that I do not. Now that I have hit 30 minutes, I hope to start working on getting down on the areo bars. I am not using the PCs the way Frank recommends but I am sticking with them. I share a lot of the concerns of the the nay-sayers. Biking is my strength and I am leary of too much tinkering. My compromised training may reduce effectiveness, but I am giving it a try.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I hope I'm not too old! I turned 30 in October, but I remember sniglets very well (I was maybe 12 when they emerged). I even ordered one of the sniglet books. I still use a few sniglets on occasion. One I've never forgotten is Yard Ribbons, which were defined as those little strips of grass you miss when you cut the grass. I remember that one because I used to leave yard ribbons galore when I mowed our yard as a 12 year old.

RP
Quote Reply
Re: Aero? What's that? [Mantis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wouldn't be able to train without my trainer. I use it at least twice, sometimes three times, per week. I admit that it's not the most exciting thing to do training-wise, but it's the only way I can ride. I try not to do less than an hour on the trainer, with a personal long of 2:11. That's a long to time to pedal and go nowhere. I have found that a good movie and a few interval sets do the trick nicely. The longer the intervals the better. The more you hurt, the faster the time goes by.

RP
Quote Reply
Re: Aero? What's that? [rhpreston] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
a few interval sets do the trick nicely. The longer the intervals the better. The more you hurt, the faster the time goes by.

RP

Last edited by: ktalon: Jan 23, 03 16:54
Quote Reply
I don't take it personally ... [ktalon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[reply] I am not using the PCs the way Frank recommends but I am sticking with them. I share a lot of the concerns of the the nay-sayers. Biking is my strength and I am leary of too much tinkering. My compromised training may reduce effectiveness, but I am giving it a try.[/reply]

Clearly, the jury is still out on how to use them BEST. However one uses them I think they will help that person. If you get great results please report them so will all know that that approach works well also. If you get less than great results, please report that also so those that follow know it may be a less effective approach. By sharing PC training information and results we will all learn.

--------------
Frank,
Quote Reply