Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Podium Kona to DQ M50-54
Quote | Reply
I popped into the coverage to see how a few people I knew racing were doing last night. I noticed Jeff Fieldhack had a phenomenal race in M50-54 with a 9:13 & closed tough with a 2nd place finish. Today he was listed as DQ. Anyone know why? That must've been a real heartbreak...the race of his career & gets booted from the podium with a DQ.

Anyhow know why?
Quote Reply
Re: Podium Kona to DQ M50-54 [Rocky M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He might have been the token DQ for drafting this year.

They always pick one person to bust and DQ.

They let the other 800 drafters off with a warning

Rhymenocerus wrote:
I think everyone should consult ST before they do anything.
Quote Reply
Re: Podium Kona to DQ M50-54 [PJC] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry, not super familiar with WTC rules. Why a DQ? Would that mean multiple infractions?

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply
Re: Podium Kona to DQ M50-54 [MI_Mumps] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was being sarcastic.

Rhymenocerus wrote:
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not going to speculate on this. Don't think he should be labeled as such, as we do not know what the DQ was all about. As he was 2nd at the finish line in M50-54...he was pretty far up there, not sure there would be much to draft off of. I'll wait for someone to pipe in who knows him. Maybe he is on the forum, don't know.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Rocky M wrote:
Not going to speculate on this. Don't think he should be labeled as such, as we do not know what the DQ was all about. As he was 2nd at the finish line in M50-54...he was pretty far up there, not sure there would be much to draft off of. I'll wait for someone to pipe in who knows him. Maybe he is on the forum, don't know.

Once again, I was being sarcastic.

Rhymenocerus wrote:
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well where is your pink font then? Totally missed it as my post was ONE MINUTE after yours & was in the middle of the response post. I was consumed with seriousness as a DQ anywhere, especially Kona, must suck. I don't know Jeff, never met him, raced him for years, and thought someone may know him. Then again, it is the weekend & folks often do their ST reading at work so maybe Monday...
Last edited by: Rocky M: Oct 14, 18 18:51
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Interested to hear what happened,
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
https://www.strava.com/.../1905566994/overview
https://www.strava.com/.../1905542214/overview

I don't know him nor do I have an info on the DQ but his bike and run look legit. Stopped for about 2 mins on the bike near Waikoloa
Quote Reply
Re: Podium Kona to DQ M50-54 [Zenmaster28] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was reading the rule book the other day - could be something like littering which I think is an instant DQ (or the sternum rule). Interesting though they say you can finish the course so could be something simple where he was DQ’d but rode on and then gets removed from results after when the DQ is followed up on.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by windschatten [ In reply to ]
Re: Podium Kona to DQ M50-54 [windschatten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Or first penalty is Yellow card (2 mins), second penalty (for anything) is a DQ.
Bike pens are served in tents on course, run pens are on spot of infraction.
Quote Reply
Re: Podium Kona to DQ M50-54 [ksb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Littering - a tough one. The world champ is a serial litterer - like right before he crosses the finish line and throws two sponges and a towel on the ground so he looks good at the finish. Another time that I would have to go back thru coverage as well...

If it's a rule, hold the best to it as well. Liz Blatchford got a 4 minute littering penalty a couple years back...so they will. But Ironman sometimes holds participants to the fire where there is little consequence.

DFRU - Detta Family Racing Unit...the kids like it and we all get out and after it...gotta keep the fam involved!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
To jump in the fun of speculation, I was on Ali'i cheering and was amazed how many athletes had spectators doing pre-planned hand-offs (around mile 1) so I imagine eventually, some people got caught, eventually

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I know Jeff through both triathlon and professional circles. This guy has been legit front of pack forever. I have no clue what happened to him, but will reach out to him. Bummer about the DQ.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
call-of-nature break by the side of the road ? I don't kow the WTC rules, but it is an automatic DQ in some places.

digression: I got a penalty for this in 2011 at the Vineman race. Even though i went way off in the trees and wasn't visible from the road. The moto went by as i was comng back on to the road and gave me a penalty. I continued and finished the race. Turned out that several other people were also penalised. I think someone complained that this rule was not announced at the mandatory pre-race meeting. (At Vineman, thay had some system where you had to go to the meeting in order to pick up your race kit.) Anyway, the head referee changed it to a six minute time penalty. Made my day :-)

run well, run happy
george
Quote Reply
Re: Podium Kona to DQ M50-54 [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
I know Jeff through both triathlon and professional circles. This guy has been legit front of pack forever. I have no clue what happened to him, but will reach out to him. Bummer about the DQ.

Just so this doesn’t get out of hand, Jeff is my best buddy and training partner for 10 years.

At about mile 80 he was given a yellow card for blocking. Ref said “yellow 606” and showed yellow card....Jeff stopped at the next penalty tent and served his 2 min penalty. Later that evening we were celebrating his 2nd place when he got an email saying he was DQed. Long story short... the ref logged his penalty as Blue card. Many meetings with Head ref Jimmy ensued that night and next morning. Jimmy is giving the ref the benefit of the doubt...... anyone who knows Jeff knows he screams at drafters and will never do IMTX again after being robbed there trying to ride clean.... He is a stand up guy with strong character, done over 50 IM and 12 Konas. No chance he confused Blue for yellow.... totally sucks.... in fact he even came to awards to be there for me....... this is total bull shit for a guy like Jeff..... but he is moving on and we will do Boulder next year to go back at it....
Last edited by: scca_ita: Oct 15, 18 23:18
Quote Reply
Re: Podium Kona to DQ M50-54 [scca_ita] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Doesn’t make sense...sucks for Jeff. Ref’s mistake and gets off the podium for it/doesn’t own it? Wow! That’s not a small oops, it was like a $10k infraction for Jeff by the time you add up the cost of the qualifying race and Kona. Not to mention all the personal time and family sacrifices that add up. Crapola...
Quote Reply
Post deleted by windschatten [ In reply to ]
Last edited by: windschatten: Oct 16, 18 0:31
Re: Podium Kona to DQ M50-54 [windschatten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is terrible. Hope he's out there next year crushing it all the same!!

2024: IM Hamburg
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That's crap. The fact that people can't stand up and said they made a mistake is a sad state of the union right now. When did it get so bad that we can't admit when we're wrong just to make the overall situation better?

How is there not a check and balance in place for this stuff? Rediculous.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They don’t have GoPro’s on the bikes to record any card shown?

Sounds a bit like guilty until proven innocent.
Quote Reply
Re: Podium Kona to DQ M50-54 [Hoffmeister] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had similar situation in Tremblant this year. Was told one thing, then ended up DQ'd. Went to speak to head referee and in my case he reversed it. I agree there should be some sort of electronic logging of the incident so there are no mix ups. I was gutted before they reversed it..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
scca_ita wrote:
devashish_paul wrote:

Just so this doesn’t get out of hand, Jeff is my best buddy and training partner for 10 years.

At about mile 80 he was given a yellow card for blocking. Ref said “yellow 606” and showed yellow card....Jeff stopped at the next penalty tent and served his 2 min penalty. Later that evening we were celebrating his 2nd place when he got an email saying he was DQed. Long story short... the ref logged his penalty as Blue card. Many meetings with Head ref Jimmy ensued that night and next morning. Jimmy is giving the ref the benefit of the doubt...... anyone who knows Jeff knows he screams at drafters and will never do IMTX again after being robbed there trying to ride clean.... He is a stand up guy with strong character, done over 50 IM and 12 Konas. No chance he confused Blue for yellow.... totally sucks.... in fact he even came to awards to be there for me....... this is total bull shit for a guy like Jeff..... but he is moving on and we will do Boulder next year to go back at it....

A yellow card penalty is only one minute. Why did he serve two minutes?

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: Podium Kona to DQ M50-54 [agreif] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
agreif wrote:
That's crap. The fact that people can't stand up and said they made a mistake is a sad state of the union right now. When did it get so bad that we can't admit when we're wrong just to make the overall situation better?

How is there not a check and balance in place for this stuff? Rediculous.

Isn't it possible that both the athlete and referee firmly believe they are right and as such, why would they admit they made a mistake? The athlete likely is certain he received a yellow card while the ref is certain they issued a blue card. One of they is obviously wrong but that doesn't mean they are lying.
Last edited by: Zenmaster28: Oct 16, 18 4:43
Quote Reply

Prev Next