Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Pockets or no pockets on your trisuit ?
Quote | Reply
I see many trisuits models with lots of pockets, at the back but also on both sides.
Is there a rule to look for when looking for a trisuit ? I guess for long distance better have a few pockets ?
No pockets is aerodynamically faster ? You get water and "food" from feed zones anyways so no need for pockets ?

Louis :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Pockets or no pockets on your trisuit ? [louisn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pockets are for things you can't get from the course that you need routinely.

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you're wearing it for training, or doing anything informal and self-supported, pockets come in handy.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pockets, always; the older I get, the longer my “don’t leave home without it” list gets 😉

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pockets. For things I consume that aren’t available on course and to store ice in for hot races
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sprints-no pockets
Everything else, including training-pockets, although I prefer to carry my nutrition.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Pockets.

1. Performance enhancing drug stash. (Asthma inhaler... I really DON'T leave home without one).

2. Somewhere to stash arm warmers and if the weather is really shiite a gilet.
(Maybe not needed for Arizona ! But defo needed for some mid Summer races here in the UK ! See how many actually got hypothermia at IM Cork last year racing in just a tri suit.
Inc people taken to hospital (I know someone who had an ambulance ride through hypothermia - you can just about generate the required heat when biking hard and running. But as soon as you slow, you're stuffed).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Always rear pockets.

All my races are wetsuit legal, so no drag issues.

Great for things like gel flasks for the bike/run, salt tabs for longer races, etc.

I avoid the side pockets since they stick out into the wind and are an aero liability (esp. when full).

ECMGN Therapy Silicon Valley:
Depression, Neurocognitive problems, Dementias (Testing and Evaluation), Trauma and PTSD, Traumatic Brain Injury (TBI)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My opinion for any distance tri a good idea. Even if the course has food/salt/anything else you want, you may not want it at that moment. Stash in the pocket is easier than carrying. Also, the new tri suits really keep the pockets tight. Running may be even more important to have the pockets than on the bike. So, less aero concerns.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
De Soto multi pocket without any debate. The more pockets the better as then you can have just one thing in each pocket and means it's quicker to grab exactly what you need when you need it, and acts as a reminder to how your nutrition intake is going compared to plan. Ie if still going from right pocket chomps packet on lap 2 I'm under-eating and need to make sure I don't fall further behind. Need a compeed blister plastesr, thats in the lower left leg pocket - hard to get to when running, but carries stuff I don't need unless I'm stopping and then I know it's not covered in gel....from the upper left which is where rubbish goes between aid stations so I'm not littering, restrcited to when I eat a gel, or carrying the drained packet so ending up with sticky mitts.

I accidentally bought a speedsuit with only 2 pockets and used it for one HIM and struggled. Now gets used for early season OW training swims to delay that cold hitting me, and bike only TTs but I'd not race tri in it.
Quote Reply
Re: Pockets or no pockets on your trisuit ? [BobAjobb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BobAjobb wrote:
See how many actually got hypothermia at IM Cork last year racing in just a tri suit.

Be honest: how many times have you seen people in trisuits with a short sleeve thermal underneath and Lycra arm warmers... (mmm... the warmth!) It’s bizarre!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I race up to the HIM distance and I have no pockets, but that's me. I also use a rear-zip.

I can see how people would want pockets to put a few gels in during the bike if they don't have storage.

For the run I normally put a few gels under the leg openings.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have done IM's with both no pockets and with pockets. I didn't notice much of a difference because of special needs bags.
Quote Reply
Re: Pockets or no pockets on your trisuit ? [JerseyBigfoot] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JerseyBigfoot wrote:
BobAjobb wrote:
See how many actually got hypothermia at IM Cork last year racing in just a tri suit.

Be honest: how many times have you seen people in trisuits with a short sleeve thermal underneath and Lycra arm warmers... (mmm... the warmth!) It’s bizarre!
Why is this bizarre?
I've done exactly this for several early and late season duathlons when temperatures were <10degC
I want a tri chamois and my existing tri suits are all sleeveless or short sleeved. A pair of arm warmers makes a massive difference and can be stripped off in seconds if it warms up mid race, or after the bike leg when the wind chill is going to be much less significant. What is the issue?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Always pockets for long course. Kiwami's new LD has a huge pocket in the back. Not necessary for taking on the Appalachian Trail, but when you're in a rush or midway through a 12 hour race, the dexterity or mindfulness isnt usually at its peak when it come to grabbing a gel out of a little penny holder pocket that's midway up ones back. (insert adult onset swimmer joke w/ shoulder mobility reference). Also the thing holds ice like a yetti too.
Quote Reply