Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Please share your wet and cold race checklist
Quote | Reply
I'll be doing a soggy oly race (Mighty Montauk) this Saturday and it looks like it's going to be a wet one. With that in mind, would anyone out there mind sharing either their wet and cold weather checklist or some good advice. I have my arm warmers and plastic bags, but I still feel like I'm missing something. Soggy inspiration also accepted.
Quote Reply
Re: Please share your wet and cold race checklist [tripoet] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey, man. Good luck at Montauk this weekend. I'll be at Blackwater which doesn't look good either. Anyway, I think Dan Empfield wrote something on this site recently about this topic, but here is what I gleaned from a cold, rainy, race day at Wildflower:

1. A good waterproof cycling jacket is a good item to have. Assos, Castelli, Nike all have good ones.

2. Arm warmers. Take the time to put them on (just around your wrists is fine. You can pull them all the way up once your out on the course.)

3. Have a plastic bag to keep your run gear in. When you come in off the bike, dump the plastic bag out and put on dry stuff.

4. Tip: Don't wipe your sunglasses with anything. use your water bottle to squirt off any grime, rain, etc. A sunglass that allows air to pass through is good. It will help eliminate fog and condensation.
(Wear yellow leneses if you have them. They help visibility in rainy conditions.)

5. I like to have a pair of water mocs or sandals or something to walk around tranisition prior to the race. If transisition is on cement and it rains, your feet will feel like hamburger by the time you are done setting up. Especially if it's cold and wet.

6. While you are swimming, your stuff is getting wet. Keep this in mind. (Especially if you wear a fleece to transition.)

7. Since most races are in parks of some sort, expect a good deal of mud. No big deal unless you plan on running out of transition in your bike shoes. In that case, you'll have cleats full of mud which isn't good. Times like these when it helps to be comfortable leaving your shoes clipped in and waiting until your on bike to slide into your shoes.

That's all I can think of right now. Hope these help and good luck!

=============
Adam Duncan
New York, NY
Quote Reply
Re: Please share your wet and cold race checklist [aduncan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Adam, right on the money. Good luck to you too at Blackwater.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
One last thing is to bring a garbage bag to put your transition duffel/backpack in. At Wildflower, the bottom of my backpack had soaked through during the race. Luckily it was my towel that sustained most of the damage and not my post-race clothes and shoes.
Quote Reply
Re: Please share your wet and cold race checklist [awc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah. Good call, awc.

=============
Adam Duncan
New York, NY
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This may be a bit of overkill, but here it is anyway.

Back in my pre-wetsuit days, I had some trouble with cold water swims on cold race days. I would bring an extra water bottle and a thermos of hot water. Just before leaving for the swim, I'd fill up the water bottle. Drinking something warm at the beginning of the bike ride helped me thaw out, or at least feel better. I'd toss the bottle after the first mile, but that was in the days before rules about abandoned equipment.

Mr Ed
Triathlete with one horsepower
Quote Reply