Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Please help me in choosing web hosting
Quote | Reply
Hi everyone,
I am sorry for possible offtopic, but I need your help in find new web hosting provider as soon as possible, because my current host (bluehost.com) is kicking me off, they say 'your account is using a lot server resources', but my website gets only about 200 visitors per day and my disk usage is 1500 MB (maybe they do not like that?)

Anyway, what would be your recommendations for getting reliable web hosting? Where are you hosting your websites? Are you happy with your providers?

I am now checking http://www.hosting24.com/ - offer looks very nice, but is it real that they can provide unlimited disk space?
I have contacted them about this question and they say something that "These days 500GB disk drive costs only $30 per month, so if some day we will run out of disk space we will simply add new 500GB disk drive with almost zero costs and you can continue uploading without any problems".

What do you think about it? Maybe things have changed in last 4 years? With my current provider I get only 2GB of disk space for $10 per month..
Any ideas and suggestions are much appreciated.
Quote Reply
Re: Please help me in choosing web hosting [0xyGen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've had good experience with netfirms.com Very few down periods over the last 3+ years and they were fixed quickly.

Dan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've used Dreamhost since around 2003, and haven't had any problems or complaints with them. Granted, I only host a few blogs (for me and some friends), so I don't put much of a load on their systems...

I have an old plan - not sure if it's still offered or not, but I'm currently allowed 7TB of bandwidth each month and 839GB of disk space. With my plan, the allotment grows each month, sort of like how gMail space increases each day.

Their support has always been super friendly and helpful; they also have a great online knowledgebase (wiki-based). I know there are some horror stories associated with them, but I think that's true of just about any host. For what it's worth, I used to host with bluehost and had nothing but problems with them, which is why I transitioned over to Dreamhost.

If you're interested in using Dreamhost, let me know - I think I get a little "spiff" if I refer someone. :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Depends on what your requirements are. I've heard good things about http://rimuhosting.com, but have never tried them myself.
If you need a lot of disk space, have you considered offloading it to something like Amazon S3? It's pay-per-use, so you pay for the amount you use.
Pretty cheap too. I use it in combination with Amazon EC2 for one of my projects. But that might be overkill for you. I also use Google App Engine for another project,
but that requires that you write in python, plus it's got resource caps on it during the beta period (but it's 100% free).

/Petter
Quote Reply
Post deleted by lschmidt [ In reply to ]
Last edited by: lschmidt: Jul 7, 08 14:42
Re: Please help me in choosing web hosting [lschmidt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agreed that you're best using http://www.webhostingtalk.com
We use hostgator.com for our ski sales site www.milehighathletic.com
and for our site where people can list their bike on eBay www.bikebounce.com.
We moved to them after hating our previous hosting company. Hostgator has been great - excellent customer service and you can actually get a person on the phone if you ever need help with anything. I'd highly recommend them and I think I found them by reading what others were saying on webhostingtalk. Good luck.

Jordan Jones | Former Pro | Founder/Owner Powder7.com Ski Shop | AthleteBloodTest.com
Quote Reply