Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Please help me fix an ERG mode addiction
Quote | Reply
I have come to the conclusion that i might have a problem.

I've been doing the vast majority of my training inside this year on Zwift. 75% of my rides have been workouts using ERG mode. (A few group rides typically for 50K+ rides and a few races.)

I am sneaking up on my A race (Miamiman Aquabike) and had planned to do a ride using power alarms on my watch and try to keep my power a bit under race pace.

I set my Garmin 920XT to alarm under 240W and over 280W

In the first 20 minutes of the ride i don't think i ever went more than 20 seconds without an alarm.

I increased the high range to 320W and i got to a couple of minutes without alarms.

Eventually, i just had to turn off the alarms and just ride.

My questions are:

1. Is it an unrealistic expectation that i should be able to ride within a 40W band? (I think the Garmin is alarming on about a 1-2 sec average .... so it fluctuates like mad)
2. If it am not looking at an unrealistic expectation, how do i fix this?

FWIW, i have tested with a Kickr as a power source and Favero Assioma pedals. (My LR balance is typically about 49%/51%, Torque effectiveness is 72%/72%, and smoothness is 19%/20%)

Thank you for any help

I do the same thing as them, just slower
Quote Reply
Re: Please help me fix an ERG mode addiction [skot123] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is it the constant power or are you doing an average over 3,10, 30 seconds?

I think riding outside, real time power is way too noisy. You simply can't maintain X-watts without variation when you have wind, hills, cars, turns, etc. Things you don't have on Zwift...

I use 3 second and 30 second power averages on my bike computer when outside. Try that. I would think you should be able to maintain a 40w band most of them time if you're looking at a 30 second average.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Use lap power, set auto lap to every 5 minutes. Keep that 5 min average in range. Also check 3s power to keep it smooth.

What's your CdA?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have never set warning alarms on my Garmin, so I have no idea how it would tag me. But, IME, I can ride within a ±5W range of my target by watching the computer screen on 3s avg. power. However, that is just what I see. It could really be a much broader range. And, if it was real-time power, way broader.

But that assumes a relatively steady-state course with no turns or major hill undulations. When you introduce small hills, you will have major variations for a second or two while you either adjust cadence or shift. Oh yeah, and on a typical steady state ride (rails-to-trails course), I shift an average of every 18 seconds. So yeah, I would expect a power alarm at least every 20 seconds. On a suburban ride with more stops and turns, I shift an average of every 12 seconds.
Quote Reply
Re: Please help me fix an ERG mode addiction [Geek_fit] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I use 10 second smoothing on my Garmin and can keep a pretty tight window if I am riding on mostly flat to rolling stuff. But in reality, I mostly just pay attention to my NP. I use the 10 second power for when I am on a long climb to try to drop down my effort, otherwise I tend to way over ride climbs.
Quote Reply
Re: Please help me fix an ERG mode addiction [trailerhouse] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Use lap power, set auto lap to every 5 minutes. Keep that 5 min average in range. Also check 3s power to keep it smooth.

What he said ... I posted a similar question a while back. I was new to a power meter and I was very frustrated with my inability to hold to a tight power range. The advice I got was very similar to this. In addition, keeping cadence high and easing into the power range helps a lot.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I can see how riding ERG mode all the time might blunt the ability to regulate your own power. I never ride ERG mode, in part, for that reason. On my outdoor interval workouts, I use my Garmin Edge to display my current power and the range each interval is to stay within. (Garmin displays this graphically in a way I find helpful.) I live in a very hilly area, so there's no way I can stay within the zone on climbs -- so, when I'm on climbs, I don't worry about it. I just try to keep my power down within reason. Other than on climbs of, say, 6+%, I find it pretty easy to stay within the zones. But it's what I'm accustomed to. I practice it 2 or 3 times a week, every week of the year. You become good at what you practice a lot.
Quote Reply