Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Please help a P2C newbie with wheel issue
Quote | Reply
The new P2C and I are off to a rough start. I've only got a whopping 75 miles on it so far but we have issues. I have the P2C Ultegra with the Shimano WH-R500 wheelset. First issue - the front tire hops off the bead of the rim, causing a large protrusion of inner tube to come popping out of the side of the tire. This happened 2x tonight and for the first time in modern history I had to call my wonderful wife for a roadside assist. Local bike shop says that I mounted the tire improperly, after which I felt compelled to remind them it was not I who mounted it :-). No offense to them, they are great folks. But my question is, could this be an issue with the tire and/or rim? I've never had any other tire do this. I am going to try remounting the tire but I am not sure I trust the tire enough to try a ride with it.

Next issue, the rear tire has an issue with rubbing the frame. Happened with any climbing initially, after which the LBS backed the rear wheel out of the cutout a little. But it still squeals like a pig under hard acceleration or when climbing. So now I have it backed out even more, which finally stopped the squeal, but I am wondering what exactly is flexing so much here? Is it the frame or the wheel or is this just a common thing and I should back the tire out of the cutout and move on? Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Please help a P2C newbie with wheel issue [2wheels] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've got no advice for you other than don't feel bad about calling the Mrs. I had to call my DAD once when my girlfriend's phone was broke (dropped it in the toilet!). I was riding along and felt something funny. Looked down, and my left crank arm was detached from the bike and only hooked to my shoe... at 30 mph down a hill! Fortunately he only lived 30 min away at the time, and drives like an old guy, so an hour later, I had a ride home.

------------------------------------------------------------
"Triathlon is for people who can't handle drugs and alcohol." -IMFL t-shirt

The Dude Abides...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i have a 2005 quintana roo caliente and when i first bought it as soon as i took it out for the first ride one of the horizontal dropout adjustment screws striped and the wheel shifted and rubbed the chainstay. i just tightened my QR up hella tight and it hasnt moved since. that was me tho.

High Speed - Low Drag
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The dropout screws are notorous for being loose and wiggling out. Get yourself some blue lock tite from ace hardware. While you are there, take a dropout screw with you and buy two new one's about 5 mm longer than what came on the bike. They cost about twenty cents each. When you get home slop some lock tite on the new screws and screw them into the dropouts, EVENLY on both sides (measure the distance they stick out to be sure they match) Then remount your wheel. If it looks too close to the frame pull it off and back the screws out a little bit and remount. Be careful thinking the screws are set for life, your race wheels may be different diameter so you may need to back them out more if you mount other wheels, or perhaps even move them in depencing on the wheels.

Dave Stark
dreamcatcher@astound.net
USAC & USAT level 2 certified coach
Last edited by: karma: Apr 8, 08 20:57
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Send an email to Cervelo and request a set of the longer set screws. They will mail you a set within a few days.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The front sounds like either a defective rim or a defective tire. For the rear, the dropout screw appears loose, which is a very common issue. But the quick release is really what is keeping the wheel in place and I would recommend making sure the quick release is sufficiently tight.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you don't go through Cervelo for new/longer screws be sure to mention at the hardware store that they are metric.

I replaced mine and the LBS used some type of loctite. First ride on my P2C and the rear wheel rubbed. The LBS had it too close and I picked up some dirt after riding on a wet road causing some paint to rub off.
Quote Reply