Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Please help Silvio Guerra race Kona
Quote | Reply
ST friends,

I'm making an appeal to the community in hopes of helping an athlete out. Eucadoran Silvio Guerra needs to pay for lodging for Kona. He lands Oct 6 and leaves Oct 15 (that's when he was able to get the cheapest flights). He has a very limited budget, and has made it this far on string and spit. He paid for the flight on a prayer. I've set up a GoFundMe page here:
https://www.gofundme.com/...vio-guerra-race-kona

This guy is fast as heck. He has run sub 2:15 marathons, and in the day took 2nd overall at Boston and Chicago. He still holds the Eucador marathon record from the Chicago run. You can read more about his athletic career here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silvio_Guerra

Silvio is an all round good guy. He gives back to Eucador by bringing running shoes to kids that want to race, and clothing for families.

Silvio qualified for Kona at Santa Rosa. He won it on a clunky bike. I can't imagine what he would do on a decent tri bike. If anyone in Kona can loan even a P2 for this guy to use (he's 5'4") it would be a huge improvement over what he has now.

Thanks for considering this.

No coasting in running and no crying in baseball
Last edited by: Tri3: Sep 30, 19 10:31
Quote Reply
Re: Please help Silvio Guerra race Kona [Tri3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
https://www.gofundme.com/...vio-guerra-race-kona

For some reason your link was not live, lets see if this works..
Quote Reply
Re: Please help Silvio Guerra race Kona [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks. I fixed it. Now if I could just figure out how to make his picture on the page correct....

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bumping so this doesn't fall off the top posts. Good luck to Silvio!

Ironically, someone posted the other day about the group effort to get Mr. Tibbs a bike. So hopefully, we can chip in and help this guy!
Last edited by: bt: Sep 30, 19 18:50
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can confirm, Silvio is an awesome guy. He's essentially Justin Lippert but 30 years older and with a lot more life experience.
Quote Reply
Re: Please help Silvio Guerra race Kona [HeartRN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good luck to Silvio! Would be awesome if he 's in.
My brother turned down a slot a few years ago. He entered the race knowing he had a good shot at the slot but zero chance to be able to fund it (personally or with the help of family) and he literally prevented us from starting a gofundme to the tunes of "why would complete strangers fund my expensive hobby".
If Silvio makes it, it might persuade him to let people help him next time! He's no ex-pro runner, but he's awesome too, and gives back in his community as well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Its a good cause helping out a fellow triathlete. I wish him a great race!
Quote Reply
Re: Please help Silvio Guerra race Kona [tof] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A friend of mine the same, turned down her slot in Lanzarote. Afterwards when she came home she was approached by an organisation who is willing to sponsor all her costs the next time she qualifies.
I hope this guy raises enough to make the trip, it's shouldn't be a thing just for people who are good athlete and have enough money.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Having raced him a few times, I concur that he is a great guy. Just gave him money for Kona. Good luck Silvio!
Quote Reply
Re: Please help Silvio Guerra race Kona [wmcc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm in...
Quote Reply
Re: Please help Silvio Guerra race Kona [bt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bumping it again lets help the guy for a great race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
A friend just alerted me to this thread. I have a one-bedroom unit that also has a pull-out couch at Kona Reef 1 mile from the start that I can offer from Oct 6-13. I was only going to use it lightly since I live on island (a few miles north of Kawaihae heading to Hawi) - just as an in-town place to park and maybe crash a couple of nights. Anyway, he is welcome to the bedroom - would just need to find lodging for his last two nights.

I'd also lend him a tri bike if it would fit him - a Dimond size S - but there's about 6 inches in height difference that may be too large a gap to bridge.

PM me and we can discuss logistics.

Ian
Quote Reply
Re: Please help Silvio Guerra race Kona [sneeuwaap] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri3 went on vacation, and is mostly off the grid for awhile. She gave me SIlvios contact number, and I just talked to him. He just landed a cheap place to stay with a tour company, so he is set there. He just got out of the water and is super pumped for the race, he gets there on Sunday. He can't believe the support he has been getting, very humble guy sounds like, so feels good to have helped him out.

He might have a QR bike once there, I will let dan know and maybe the two can hook up. Dan speaks decent Spanish too, so they should have some good stories to share about the good old running days...

Thanks everyone, we may have just facilitated the new AG run record holder!!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No community out there like the Triathlon Community. So awesome to see all the support. Go Silvio!!
Quote Reply
Re: Please help Silvio Guerra race Kona [Alfredo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Best part of my camping trip has been checking in and learning of all the positive developments. Thanks to all for your support!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tri3 wrote:
Best part of my camping trip has been checking in and learning of all the positive developments. Thanks to all for your support!

As an update, he did end up taking me up on the condo. I picked him up at the airport yesterday, took him grocery shopping, and showed him around a bit. Super nice guy, and as you said, a really fast runner (among other things, a 2:09 and two 2:10s to his credit). QR is setting him up on a bike tomorrow, and I'll give him a tour of the bike course probably Wednesday (mostly driving, some riding).

I'm planning on bringing him to the ST party on Wednesday if the ST gods will allow it.

Ian
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
^ You win karma points!

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You are a wonderful person. Thanks for being so kind to our friend. Tell him the TriFred community will be cheering him on and hoping for the best!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sneeuwaap wrote:
Tri3 wrote:

As an update, he did end up taking me up on the condo. I picked him up at the airport yesterday, took him grocery shopping, and showed him around a bit. Super nice guy, and as you said, a really fast runner (among other things, a 2:09 and two 2:10s to his credit). QR is setting him up on a bike tomorrow, and I'll give him a tour of the bike course probably Wednesday (mostly driving, some riding).

I'm planning on bringing him to the ST party on Wednesday if the ST gods will allow it.

Ian

Very nice of you Ian!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow, this is an amazing gesture. Best of luck to Silvio in the race!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
Tri3 went on vacation, and is mostly off the grid for awhile. She gave me SIlvios contact number, and I just talked to him. He just landed a cheap place to stay with a tour company, so he is set there. He just got out of the water and is super pumped for the race, he gets there on Sunday. He can't believe the support he has been getting, very humble guy sounds like, so feels good to have helped him out.

He might have a QR bike once there, I will let dan know and maybe the two can hook up. Dan speaks decent Spanish too, so they should have some good stories to share about the good old running days...

On the bike front...yes, QR had an extra rental in his size! I sent this tread to my team manager at QR hoping they could help. I just meet up with the folks at QR and they are super stoked to help him out! Was told they did not do it for and PR play but rather doing the right thing because we are all family!!! So awesome!!
Quote Reply
Re: Please help Silvio Guerra race Kona [HeartRN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ian is the real deal. He was my Sherpa in '17 for my race (and I'm being very very liberal with the term race) :-|

Couldn't have done it w/o him.

At least this time he'll be done before dark.

cheers!

I saw this on a white board in a window box at my daughters middle school...
List of what life owes you:
1. __________
2. __________
3. __________
Quote Reply
Re: Please help Silvio Guerra race Kona [manofthewoods] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
manofthewoods wrote:
Ian is the real deal. He was my Sherpa in '17 for my race (and I'm being very very liberal with the term race) :-|

Couldn't have done it w/o him.

At least this time he'll be done before dark.

cheers!

Ha! Well, he can’t swim like you.. :-)

We missed the ST party today - sorry! I took him for a combo drive/ride the bike course, and we ended up making several iterations of tweaks to his setup on the much-appreciated donated QR, which put us back into Kona at 6 p.m.

This guy has so much potential - with a decent bike and maybe a power meter, he could run way faster than the 3:10 “struggle” he did at Santa Rosa.

Ian
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:

That would be a hell of a run..
Quote Reply
Re: Please help Silvio Guerra race Kona [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1:17.40 - S
5;37.55 - B
3:21.15 -R

10:29.27 - Total
Quote Reply

Prev Next