Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Please critique my bike fit - trying to dial in w/ new bars
Quote | Reply
. Pics below. (Note: I think I put the shoulder sticker too far forward, so the shoulder angle isn't as acute as it is showing)

Disclaimer for ST: Yes, my basement storage shelves are a mess, yes, I'm not in race shape and am carrying some extra weight.

I put on some new (to my bike) aerobars and am trying to dial in the fit, which I haven't messed with in a number of years. I've never been professionally fit, but have been trying to implement Slowman's (and, earlier, Tom Demmerly's) fit advice for the past 20 years. The new bars (Zipp Vuka Aluminum) don't get quite as low as my old ones (the old classic Vision Tech clip-ons), so I'm probably sitting about 1cm higher than I was last year. I put on the new ones because they have better cable routing, and I got the aero bento box that allows me to clean up the cables and the airflow coming off the stem area.

Any thoughts? Should I cut my steer tube to drop down to where I was before with the old bars? I don't feel like I'm pushing it with my flexibility and could drop a little lower without causing discomfort, although much lower than I was last year and I start to get into breathing issues. I have long legs and a big rib cage and feel pretty compressed for breathing at the top of the pedal stroke if I drop too low.

Any other suggestions? Thanks.

Quote Reply
Re: Please critique my bike fit - trying to dial in w/ new bars [nilloc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think you should stop with the angles... they're descriptive, not prescriptive.

What are you trying to *do*?

Other than that, you have a very fine "bike shop fit". You're sitting on the bike, and you're holding the bars.

Eric

nilloc wrote:
. Pics below. (Note: I think I put the shoulder sticker too far forward, so the shoulder angle isn't as acute as it is showing)

Disclaimer for ST: Yes, my basement storage shelves are a mess, yes, I'm not in race shape and am carrying some extra weight.

I put on some new (to my bike) aerobars and am trying to dial in the fit, which I haven't messed with in a number of years. I've never been professionally fit, but have been trying to implement Slowman's (and, earlier, Tom Demmerly's) fit advice for the past 20 years. The new bars (Zipp Vuka Aluminum) don't get quite as low as my old ones (the old classic Vision Tech clip-ons), so I'm probably sitting about 1cm higher than I was last year. I put on the new ones because they have better cable routing, and I got the aero bento box that allows me to clean up the cables and the airflow coming off the stem area.

Any thoughts? Should I cut my steer tube to drop down to where I was before with the old bars? I don't feel like I'm pushing it with my flexibility and could drop a little lower without causing discomfort, although much lower than I was last year and I start to get into breathing issues. I have long legs and a big rib cage and feel pretty compressed for breathing at the top of the pedal stroke if I drop too low.

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: Please critique my bike fit - trying to dial in w/ new bars [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, Eric. When you say that I have a fine "bike shop fit," I read that as faint praise because I've worked at bike shops where nobody knew how people should fit on TT bikes.

Right now I'm trying to get faster TTing because foot injuries are hampering my run for tri racing. Eventually I'd like to return to tri racing, but for now I'm trying to maximize aerodynamics for a 40k TT. It would be nice if that were also a decent position to run off of in the future. Does your "bike shop fit" comment mean that I could be more aggressive on the front end?

The angles are from a bike fit app that I thought I'd play around with that DC Rainmaker reviewed. I've just used angle measurements because when I was learning about fit reading Slowman's and Tom Demerly's stuff years ago I was using their ranges to make sure I was in the ballpark.
Quote Reply
Re: Please critique my bike fit - trying to dial in w/ new bars [nilloc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Which saddle are you using?
Quote Reply
Re: Please critique my bike fit - trying to dial in w/ new bars [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
Which saddle are you using?

ISM PN 1.1
It looks pretty steeply tilted to my eyeballs, but when I have played around with leveling it out I get bad friction and pain in sensitive regions. Even if I drop the saddle a bit.
Last edited by: nilloc: Aug 1, 19 8:53
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
nilloc wrote:
Thanks, Eric. When you say that I have a fine "bike shop fit," I read that as faint praise because I've worked at bike shops where nobody knew how people should fit on TT bikes.

I was expecting Eric to use his default answer ("your bike is too small").

For me (not a pro fitter) I think your bars would be more comfortable moved forward and tilted up. Also your saddle is too high.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
nilloc wrote:

Bars higher and forward. Maybe a little tilt. Turtle and shrug.
Quote Reply