Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Please Register for Your Local Triathlons (Covid19 related of course)
Quote | Reply
Hi guys,

I discussion with Fleck on fb gave me the impetus to post this.

Contrary to what people may think with an over emphasis on Ironman branded events, the lifeblood of the sport is our local race director. Those people are barely making money, often losing money, doing it around a kitchen table with friends and family because they have the passion to give us a venue to do sport and derive happiness from putting their time into this somewhat thankless job.

Ironman races get or got a lot of revenue before the Covid19. For local tris, most of us register at the last moment because we don't really need to register early. But they also have expenses that they have to incur many months before their races. These are sunk costs and they may often pay for these out of their own previous year's proceeds to get this year's event going.

If all of us "don't register" because there may not be an event this year, what is likely going to happen in many cases, is there will be no event this and next year, because many of these people who are pretty smart will just go back to doing jobs in the corporate world on a steady paycheque. They don't need to do this, but we need them to be around minimally for next year.

I totally get that a lot of us will have zero income during this time (some of us will be paying employees while we generate zero income too), so times are tight for all. But if you can enter some of your local races for later this summer it will go a long way to help preserve the triathlon ecosystem that we depend on.

In closing, no one put me up to this. It was bothering me last night before going to bed that so many enterprises will go out of business, and should there be a second half to the season, it would be a shame if many had to cancel simply because they did not have enough registrations.

So if each of us can spare a small amount, every local race series that we can help save will only serve us later (hopefully this year, for sure next year). I am registered for a full line up of local Olympic tris and will register for two more that I was not sure about previously prior to this outbreak.
Quote Reply
Re: Please Register for Your Local Triathlons (Covid19 related of course) [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If we are going to donate to keep the sport alive, sure lets set up go fund me pages for the respective companies.

WRT the events, the RD/event companies are taking fees, and we are free to enter and complete them unless there is a dramatic shift in US tri policies https://www.teamusa.org/...ement-on-coronavirus

Why don't event organizers communicate their plans and then we are better placed to support them. Races are getting canned a day before hand and that leaves people out of pocket for travel expenses.

If the RD said there is a risk of being impacted but we will either postpone or more your entry to next year, sure I'll start transferring the money.
Quote Reply
Re: Please Register for Your Local Triathlons (Covid19 related of course) [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I hear what you are saying, I do. At this point, I'd rather just send them some money as opposed to registering for a race. If it's for charity, I can perhaps write it off. Also, it helps make sure that Active doesn't get a dime.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Please Register for Your Local Triathlons (Covid19 related of course) [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri-Banter wrote:
I hear what you are saying, I do. At this point, I'd rather just send them some money as opposed to registering for a race. If it's for charity, I can perhaps write it off. Also, it helps make sure that Active doesn't get a dime.

Haha, did you just imply that you don't want to keep Active alive :-). Honestly I actually don't see where that platform adds a ton of value in the triathlon ecosystem relative to the race directors, but the race directors do need a means to collect money. Not sure Active is the best approach. Its time may have come and gone, but we DO need the races around next year!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm not worried about another software company being able to replace Active, I'm way more worried about the dying industry of local races being replaced.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
While I am no longer in the position as a race director, my local triathlon RD experience would suggest that all events this calendar year get out ahead of the curve with information.
That may be:
- we are waiting for more information before making decisions
- we are working on postponement dates (if required)
- we will defer (or % off) entries to following year
- we will cut expenses (i.e. no shirts, etc) to provide x% of a refund.

None of these are that difficult to do and would do wonders to generate registrations if participants will feel they are being considered or that plans are in place or at least evolving.
Quote Reply
Re: Please Register for Your Local Triathlons (Covid19 related of course) [stevie g] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stevie g wrote:

Why don't event organizers communicate their plans and then we are better placed to support them. Races are getting canned a day before hand and that leaves people out of pocket for travel expenses.

Agreed. Kinetic Multisports (big mid atalntic organizer) hasn't communicated anything.

IG - @ryanppax
http://www.geluminati.com
Use code ST5 for $5 off your order
Quote Reply
Re: Please Register for Your Local Triathlons (Covid19 related of course) [Ryanppax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Boy Howdy the RDs are in a tight spot right now. Bags, shirts and specialty items for Tris need to be ordered soon for Summer races. Most of the suppliers are in China. Do you commit to printing up gym bags, hats, sportswear and totes for an event 3-5 months away that has a fair chance of being cancelled? Or do you just bare down the entry fees and have minimal swag at the event? Do you even think of planning an event with permits suspended for an unspecified timeline?

First world problems but problems none the less. I worry too if local merchants are going to be able to survive this huge hit and/or have enough reserve to even sponsor events.
Quote Reply
Re: Please Register for Your Local Triathlons (Covid19 related of course) [G-man] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
G-man wrote:
Boy Howdy the RDs are in a tight spot right now. Bags, shirts and specialty items for Tris need to be ordered soon for Summer races. Most of the suppliers are in China.

The solution to that is simple: don't order the swag. It's an unnecessary element for the race to take place. Might even help us get back to "bare bone" races that are more about racing and less about the "participant experience."

No coasting in running and no crying in baseball
Quote Reply
Re: Please Register for Your Local Triathlons (Covid19 related of course) [Tri3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri3 wrote:
G-man wrote:
Boy Howdy the RDs are in a tight spot right now. Bags, shirts and specialty items for Tris need to be ordered soon for Summer races. Most of the suppliers are in China.

The solution to that is simple: don't order the swag. It's an unnecessary element for the race to take place. Might even help us get back to "bare bone" races that are more about racing and less about the "participant experience."

Such a beautifully simple solution...

Eliminate the extra crap and make entry fees reasonable again. I don't need another crappy t-shirt with 85 sponsor logos on it
Quote Reply
Re: Please Register for Your Local Triathlons (Covid19 related of course) [indianacyclist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
indianacyclist wrote:
Tri3 wrote:
G-man wrote:

Eliminate the extra crap and make entry fees reasonable again. I don't need another crappy t-shirt with 85 sponsor logos on it

Without the shirt, would there still be 85 sponsors to help make the fees reasonable?
Quote Reply
Re: Please Register for Your Local Triathlons (Covid19 related of course) [mgreer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mgreer wrote:
Without the shirt, would there still be 85 sponsors to help make the fees reasonable?

when was the last time you looked at the sponsors on a race shirt from years gone by? the sponsors can still print up their banners to place at a race and those can be reused whenever the race occurs
Quote Reply
Re: Please Register for Your Local Triathlons (Covid19 related of course) [Ryanppax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ryanppax wrote:
stevie g wrote:

Agreed. Kinetic Multisports (big mid atalntic organizer) hasn't communicated anything.

They have on Instagram- they expect to announce the changes to their schedule shortly. I have signed up for several of their races, so we will see. But based on my races with them the last three years, I am giving them the benefit of the doubt.
Quote Reply
Re: Please Register for Your Local Triathlons (Covid19 related of course) [indianacyclist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
indianacyclist wrote:
Tri3 wrote:
G-man wrote:

What races have 85 sponsors these days? What races have even 1 or 2 meaningful sponsors?

I agree that RD's should cut back on unnecessary costs for the year and advertise the race will be swag-less this year given all the temporary risks.

I received an email from these guys today. https://coachmarkwilson.com/

Deferrals are offered and FREE. I'm already signed up with them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
we cancelled the Penticton Triathlon Club Bare Bones Duathlon for May 9 which serves as the provincial championships. With the sanction event suspensions to April 30th across Canada and growing list of no travel it is a no brainer. Small little event of 80-100 athletes with 30+ registered thus far but we were at stage to start cutting cheques to suppliers. We will be providing refunds less registration admin fees which our supplier CCN is doing on cost recovery basis. I really feel for independent race directors (as i do all entrepreneurs taking massive hits right now) like Dynamic race events; Multisport Canada; Subaru Tri Series; Great White North etc. etc...this is their livelihood and even if the races can be made to happen, no one will be travelling but for locals.

I honestly do not think sporting events are happening anytime before June and probably July. And IF the Olympics happen it may well be athlete only. I mean the IOC has the money!

in about a months time Ottawa marathon weekend will have to make a decision. Its the largest run weekend in Canada and last Olympic qualifier for the marathon as a gold certified race.

@rhyspencer
Quote Reply
Re: Please Register for Your Local Triathlons (Covid19 related of course) [RobAllen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
- we are waiting for more information before making decisions
- we are working on postponement dates (if required)
- we will defer (or % off) entries to following year
- we will cut expenses (i.e. no shirts, etc) to provide x% of a refund.

Rob,

Great advice. For Races/Events that are I would say 3 - 4 months away, this would be a prudent thing to do, right now, in terms of out-bound communication with committed participants, and even non-committed.

Of course, the frustrating thing is, we really don't know where we will be in 3 - 4 months.

Will we be truly on the other side of this by then? The speed with which the situation and news evolved this week, tells me that almost EVERYTHING, is speculative at this point!

That being said - more communication with customers/clients, is always better than less!

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Please Register for Your Local Triathlons (Covid19 related of course) [B.McMaster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree that RD's should cut back on unnecessary costs for the year and advertise the race will be swag-less this year given all the temporary risks.

The RD's that I know are REALLY torn with all this stuff - T-Shirts, trinkets, swag and other give-aways. Most would LOVE to cut it all out. But they hang in there with it because, depending on the race/event, there is a variable number of participants, for whom that stuff is EXTREMELY important. So they hang in there with it.

Maybe with this, and the extreme, historic, game-changing, and unprecedented circumstances that COVID19 has put us all under, that this will be the tipping-point and RD's can do away with this kind of stuff, and be done with it completely.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Even before all of this Covid 19 related stuff - I already planned to do nothing but local Olympic Triathlons up here in the Pacific Northwest!

For us the season does not really start until June so I am hoping everything clears up by then and that my 1st event of the season will not be impacted.
Quote Reply
Re: Please Register for Your Local Triathlons (Covid19 related of course) [rhys] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rhys wrote:
we cancelled the Penticton Triathlon Club Bare Bones Duathlon for May 9 which serves as the provincial championships. With the sanction event suspensions to April 30th across Canada and growing list of no travel it is a no brainer. Small little event of 80-100 athletes with 30+ registered thus far but we were at stage to start cutting cheques to suppliers. We will be providing refunds less registration admin fees which our supplier CCN is doing on cost recovery basis. I really feel for independent race directors (as i do all entrepreneurs taking massive hits right now) like Dynamic race events; Multisport Canada; Subaru Tri Series; Great White North etc. etc...this is their livelihood and even if the races can be made to happen, no one will be travelling but for locals.

I honestly do not think sporting events are happening anytime before June and probably July. And IF the Olympics happen it may well be athlete only. I mean the IOC has the money!

in about a months time Ottawa marathon weekend will have to make a decision. Its the largest run weekend in Canada and last Olympic qualifier for the marathon as a gold certified race.

I am less worried about the Ottawa marathon (even though the current race director Ian Fraser is an old friend and the former race director, I have known since 1990 from our days in the uOttawa MBA program and running). I am more worried about the 10-500 person local tri events and ensuring they survive to the other side.

Rhys, sorry to hear about your duathlon. My personal big event is Olympic tri nationals in Montreal (lined up with the ITU WCS event). I doubt that will happen, but I am hopeful. After that I have full lineup of local Olympic tris, which while I hope go off, I am glad if the race directors keep my money should they not.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
devashish_paul wrote:
Hi guys,

I discussion with Fleck on fb gave me the impetus to post this.

Contrary to what people may think with an over emphasis on Ironman branded events, the lifeblood of the sport is our local race director. Those people are barely making money, often losing money, doing it around a kitchen table with friends and family because they have the passion to give us a venue to do sport and derive happiness from putting their time into this somewhat thankless job.

Ironman races get or got a lot of revenue before the Covid19. For local tris, most of us register at the last moment because we don't really need to register early. But they also have expenses that they have to incur many months before their races. These are sunk costs and they may often pay for these out of their own previous year's proceeds to get this year's event going.

If all of us "don't register" because there may not be an event this year, what is likely going to happen in many cases, is there will be no event this and next year, because many of these people who are pretty smart will just go back to doing jobs in the corporate world on a steady paycheque. They don't need to do this, but we need them to be around minimally for next year.

I totally get that a lot of us will have zero income during this time (some of us will be paying employees while we generate zero income too), so times are tight for all. But if you can enter some of your local races for later this summer it will go a long way to help preserve the triathlon ecosystem that we depend on.

In closing, no one put me up to this. It was bothering me last night before going to bed that so many enterprises will go out of business, and should there be a second half to the season, it would be a shame if many had to cancel simply because they did not have enough registrations.

So if each of us can spare a small amount, every local race series that we can help save will only serve us later (hopefully this year, for sure next year). I am registered for a full line up of local Olympic tris and will register for two more that I was not sure about previously prior to this outbreak.

All future races are in question along with our health and income. Triathlons don't mean sh#t right now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
indianacyclist wrote:
Tri3 wrote:
G-man wrote:

100% THIS ^^^^

Same for the finishers medal
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It’s a little more difficult to do this logistically for triathlon, but a few 5ks around me that are being cancelled are offering folks who already registered a virtual/individual option. Run the distance on strava, garmin, zwift, etc and submit your time, they mail you your swag and put your time on the results page.

It’s not perfect, but it still gives you the feeling of participating in the event.

I’m in agreement with you on supporting the local RDs. I’m hoping the local tri group near me are still able to put on their late summer races.
Quote Reply
Re: Please Register for Your Local Triathlons (Covid19 related of course) [RobAllen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agreed. Would like to see something like this and would substantially increase likelihood of my signing up (for more). My local race for early May will undoubtedly be cancelled. That RD historically has what I consider to be a very athlete friendly perspective on deferrals etc. Hopefully, RDs recognize quickly there is a potential opportunity for a win-win here.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think there are many aspects of society that will forever change post Corona (simple example....media-access in player locker rooms while they are showering/changes after events)....losing swag most of which gets thrown away or used as a rag for cheaper fee would be a welcomed change at least for me
Quote Reply
Re: Please Register for Your Local Triathlons (Covid19 related of course) [MrTri123] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MrTri123 wrote:
indianacyclist wrote:
Tri3 wrote:
G-man wrote:

100% THIS ^^^^

Same for the finishers medal

Eliminate the swag and you lose all the newbies which you're trying to attract. Many race just for the swag. In fact probably 90% of IM racers are in it for the tech tee and finishers medal.
Quote Reply

Prev Next