Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Plantar Fasciitis from Cycling?
Quote | Reply
I was pretty sure my PF was caused from running, but is cycling making it stay injured? I've got my cleats pushed all the way back. There's lots of info about it dealing with running PF, but hard to find anything about it being caused by cycling.

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com
Quote Reply
Re: Plantar Fasciitis from Cycling? [ZenTriBrett] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've been having calf issue for a couple years now, always thought it was because of running. However I've barely been on the bike lately and have been ramping up the running mileage without any issues. Can't help but wonder if the bike is the issue. However like you said its really hard to find anything.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have achilles issues from my road bike, but not my tri bike and not running. I don't get it.

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Quote Reply
Re: Plantar Fasciitis from Cycling? [cloy26] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cloy26 wrote:
I have achilles issues from my road bike, but not my tri bike and not running. I don't get it.

Maybe on your road bike you can and do stand and climb more, putting a lot more torque on the legs?

Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It is possible. PF is usually caused not in your foot, but in your calf. There's a tendon that runs from the bottom from your all the way up through you calf. I can't recall the name of it. Anyway, when you have very tight calfs from overuse/not stretching, whatever your vice is, this muscle pulls very tight so it begins to pull on the bottom of your foot, thus causing the pain in the bottom of your foot. You use your calf during cycling so it could be keeping it tight.

I had a serious case of PF that put me in a boot during my running days in college. I had a trainer spend about an hour doing deep tissue massage on my calf and foot to loosen it up. It was more painful than the workouts I missed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've learned that the remedy is always strengthen the muscle groups 1 level up. So PF, calf strengthening. AT, quads and hammies. ITB, glutes and flexors. Etc.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ZenTriBrett wrote:
I was pretty sure my PF was caused from running, but is cycling making it stay injured? I've got my cleats pushed all the way back. There's lots of info about it dealing with running PF, but hard to find anything about it being caused by cycling.

I wear orthodics in my running shoes and in my cycling shoes. I don't think that cycling can cause PF however it can exacerbate an existing PF problem.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As someone else mentioned, plantar fasciitis may be felt in the foot but it's actually caused by muscles and tendons leading to the calf. If you are flexing your foot or tensing it when you cycle, your PF may indeed be caused by cycling yet experienced on the run. I used to get PF and I eventually noticed that I got it only when I did heavy bike trainer sessions. I wouldn't feel a thing on the bike but the agony while running or walking would be unbearable. The issue disappeared completely when I moved the cleat on my bike shoe back to a mid-foot position. Before that the pedal was under the ball of my foot, which encouraged ankle and foot flexion. Moving the cleat back so that the pedal was under the arch of my foot made the PF and foot spasm problems disappear overnight. Bonus: I climbed faster on the bike!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I recommend you get cycling specific orthotics to provide a little bit of arch support. We use FootBalance here at the shop (custom molded accomodative orthotics) that, 9 times out of 10, are very well received. I typically say 20% of runners could use an orthotic and 80% of cyclists could use an orthotic. The real percentages aren't important, just that an athlete who would typically be averse to running orthotics shouldn't prevent themselves from considering orthotics in their cycling shoes.

In the absence of something you can get molded like FootBalance or Retul Futbed insoles, Superfeet will work okay.

Trent Nix
Owned and operated Tri Shop
F.I.S.T. Advanced Certified Fitter | Retul Master Certified Fitter (back when those were things)
Last edited by: trentnix: Jan 4, 16 8:28
Quote Reply
Re: Plantar Fasciitis from Cycling? [trentnix] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey Trent! Long time no chat. Yeah, I have some broken toes, so I can't run. I thought the time off would help heal my PF while I keep biking. Now I'm getting suspicious that the biking is making it linger or is even the cause. Thanks for the tip!

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I actually got plantar fasciitis through using my exercise bike without any shoes on and just having socks... I tried just about everything but in the end I actually found these strut things that you slip on and the padding on them supports your arch and stops pressure and shock wrecking the plantar fascia (here is where I got mine)!!
Last edited by: theJames93: Mar 31, 16 8:48
Quote Reply