Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Planet X Stealth to Cervelo P-Series. What do I gain ?
Quote | Reply
Hi folks.

So... I'm close to pressing the button on New P-series to replace my old but great condition Planet X Stealth.
(Thanks to Eric on the sizing advice).

I'm not at the pointy end of racing.
Circa 6hrs for an IM bike leg (assuming its a real full length with 2 or 3 thousand feet climb and plenty of corners / junctions and typical shiiite road surfaces in the UK. So a 30kph average. Steady pacing so I'm not damaged for the 26mile shuffle after.

I defo see the benefits of disc brakes where I live / weather (and interchangeability with road bike wheels). That's not up for debate !!

Wider tyres + tubeless on a new bike. Good. Though I could always get some slightly bigger new aero wheels into the frame and go tubeless.

Internal cables (less drag but worse to maintain!).

I'm comfy enough on the Planet X.
But my position is at a limit of adjustment as the saddle is as forward as possible on a long Adamo saddle (the Stealth seat post is 76 degree - not as steep as modern bikes).
Has a newer PD cockpit not the original Planet X one, so is pretty adjustable.

So - what is the expectation on benefits , before I pull the trigger ? (some good Black Friday deals here - 30% off on a 105 build and 25% on mech ultegra. I'll be sticking to mechanical not di2).

(Other than new bike day is always nice ! and the spend helps the ruined economy just a little).

Or do I drop half the ££ and go get better new wheels for the planet X.

Thanks all.
Quote Reply
Re: Planet X Stealth to Cervelo P-Series. What do I gain ? [BobAjobb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think you might struggle to fit modern wider wheels in a Stealth?

The 105 p series is a good deal, especially if you plan to to change bits. It's the complete bike for a couple of hundred quid less than the frameset alone.
Quote Reply
Re: Planet X Stealth to Cervelo P-Series. What do I gain ? [jn46] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jn46 wrote:
I think you might struggle to fit modern wider wheels in a Stealth?

The 105 p series is a good deal, especially if you plan to to change bits. It's the complete bike for a couple of hundred quid less than the frameset alone.

Rear seatstays are an issue for wider wheels in Stealths.

I would 100% upgrade the frame, it'll be a big improvement aero wise and less harsh a ride too.

AeroCoach UK
http://www.aero-coach.co.uk
Quote Reply
Re: Planet X Stealth to Cervelo P-Series. What do I gain ? [jn46] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good point.
Thanks.

The 105 is going for £2175 at Sigma.
£2999 for ultegra (which has hydraulic rather than cable brakes too).
+ slightly better cheap wheels which will be fine until at least there's some racing !!
Quote Reply
Re: Planet X Stealth to Cervelo P-Series. What do I gain ? [BobAjobb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was able to put 25mm tires on my Planet-X Stealth, but there is no way it would fit 28s. I think I had to move the wheel back a tiny bit even to fit the 25s (horizontal dropouts on the Stealth did make that easy!).

Every so often, I toy with the idea of moving to something more modern. But in the end I realize that my bike's engine is, by far, the limiting factor in my performance.

-Mark Rebuck, http://www.markrebuck.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Planet X Stealth to Cervelo P-Series. What do I gain ? [MarkRebuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cheers.

It sounds.like you and I have the same thought process ! It's the low powered pilot that's the problem in my set up really !

I keep wavering over the button then question it.

But then I wonder if its a good time as I can still sell the PX before it's obsolete (I have too many near-worthless mountain bikes in the garage already that are waaay out of date and nothing new fits....wheels, axles, forks etc etc. )

Maybe a new ride will spur me on to train properly ?? As 2020 with no races has been rubbish for motivation and fitness other, other than I've done some great OW swims up to 7 miles.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm looking at the p-series as well. Just found out that the 105 version does not have hydraulic disc brakes, it has mechanical. Did you know that? I'd go with the ultegra.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BobAjobb wrote:
Good point.
Thanks.

The 105 is going for £2175 at Sigma.
£2999 for ultegra (which has hydraulic rather than cable brakes too).
+ slightly better cheap wheels which will be fine until at least there's some racing !!

Get the 105, some juin tech semi hydraulic brakes and some compressionless cable housing, still leaving enough money left over for some ebay used carbon race wheels?

Sigma have about a four week bike wait time at the moment due to backlog for info.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ta.

Yeah I'd clocked it was cable discs. Reviews are pretty good for a cable.
Good idea on the Juin calipers.

I was thinking to get that then as jn46 says I can spend the difference on better wheels.

I'm ok with the 4 week wait..just in time.for Christmas 😁
Last edited by: BobAjobb: Nov 29, 20 1:55
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Other than a tiny bit of weight there is zero performance difference between current mechanical versions of 105 and Ultegra, even less noticeable on a TT bike with bar end shifters.

It all depends how much you intend to change down the line. If you buy wisely and used then you could build up the 105 bike much nicer for the same cost of the ultegra model, recouping some money on the bits you sell.

Let's just say:

Juin tech brakes £150, sell spyres for say £50, so that puts you at £2275 outlay.

Change crankset for a shorter R7000 model, currently under £100, selling old crank for £40, puts you at £2335.

You're now at 99% of the performance of the ultegra model, with over £600 to put towards race wheels. Keep looking over the winter and you'll easily pick up an open mould mid depth used disc brake set for that amount, or branded for a bit more. Win win!

I've always thought any mechanical ultegra bike sits awkwardly in model lines now 105 has got so good, especially with all other components pretty much the same.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jn46 wrote:
Other than a tiny bit of weight there is zero performance difference between current mechanical versions of 105 and Ultegra, even less noticeable on a TT bike with bar end shifters.

I think the big diff is the hydraulic vs cable brakes. But I agree that the price diff is not worth it. Food for thought, when cervelo first sold the P5X, it came with cabled disc brakes.

Save the money to do a full di2/etap upgrade in the future, or towards better wheels
Quote Reply
Re: Planet X Stealth to Cervelo P-Series. What do I gain ? [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's been 2 weeks so you might have already pulled the trigger ..

However, I'd strongly advise in favor of di2 over mechanical if you intend to race Bolton -> quite hilly with lots of "small" hills, i.e. expecting to change gears very often so that might prove very handy to have satellite shifters on the hoods
Quote Reply