Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Places to ride Palm Beach Gardens area
Quote | Reply
I am going to Palm Beach Gardens next week for a week. Anyone have some good safe places nearby to ride a Tri-bike they can recommend?
Quote Reply
Re: Places to ride Palm Beach Gardens area [Jon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There are group rides that leave from ocean drive and Marcinski in Juno beach tues/thurs/sat at 7 am. There’s also a Sunday group ride that leaves from Carlin park at 7:30 am. Note that they are FAST/drop rides and you will see a few folks on tt/Tri bikes. Perhaps even a pro golfer.

Ocean drive is a popular route (though it has heavy traffic later on in the day) and if you keep going north, hop on us1, and then over to Jupiter island. To go even further, hop on bridge road at the north end of Jupiter island and then turn north onto Gomez. Make your way to old Dixie highway to continue to go north. You can eventually make your way to Hutchinson island (~30 miles from Juno beach) where it’s a great stretch of road.

Another option is jog road and around PGA National. PGA is a gated community but you can still get in on a bike.

I can probably send you one or two of my Strava rides to give you a better picture.

I don’t recommend riding at any other time other than the morning. Too many cars and traffic the later you leave which makes it a bit difficult to get long stretches of riding without interrupts. But that’s just my personal preference.

Let me know if you have any questions.

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
From Juno, if wind from north I'd always ride along beach North to Jupiter Island end and back (about 30 miles). If wind from South I'd ride South over Singer Island, then Flagler and first bridge to Palm Beach Island and then south along beach (you can go many miles south with low traffic and bike lanes). Going south you'll have a bit of urban riding,but not bad, from Riviera Beach through West Palm Beach, and across Palm Beach Island until you get back to the beach.

When the wind is strong I hate to do return leg into wind.

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Re: Places to ride Palm Beach Gardens area [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks so much. I am actually going to be in PGA National so if it is safe to ride in there, that may be the best option.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
PGA National will work. I've never ridden there, but have driven around a bit.

However, if you like nice, iconic rides, head to beach.

I've been cycling around the east coast for thirty years, mostly in South East. The ride north and the ride south along ocean are awesome interesting and scenic rides. Drive four miles down PGA Blvd and park at Publix after crossing US1. Look at map and either go North or South. Tons of riders going each way.

North you go along public beach with bike lane for four miles then onto exclusive island with beachfront mansions and little traffic. Going south you get a mix of scenery, but bike lanes most of the way.

If you stay in PGA National, it is like going to Boulder and doing Zwift in your hotel room.

________
It doesn't really matter what Phil is saying, the music of his voice is the appropriate soundtrack for a bicycle race. HTupolev
Quote Reply
Re: Places to ride Palm Beach Gardens area [H-] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks very much - beach ride sounds great too and good analogy about staying just in PGA being like Zwift. I am a bit paranoid of traffic as I have new Tri-bike I have not ridden yet that was delivered to my mom's house in Florida, and I live in Alaska with a 25 mile bike path that starts in front of my house and I am not at all used to riding in traffic. At least not for several years.

On somewhat related note - does anyone know a place that would do really quick basic bike fit? I got a Quintanna Roo, which I rented before and I know it fits. But I don't have a trainer down there so might want a bike shop that would do quick fit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tribikerun is recommended often. I can't speak for fitting but nice people and I think owner was/is pro triathlete. They can be busy so I'd try to make appointment.

So for new tribike and unused to traffic, I'd say two options, (1) stay in PGA -- but I'm not aware of bike trails and there will be some car traffic, (2) drive down PGA, after crossing US1, turn left into Publix and park. PGA turns into A1A, aka, Jack Nicklaus Drive, and if you take it you'll go on Singer Island and have 5-6 mile ride till you come to big bridge. You can ride over bridge and turn around, or turn around before bridge. That makes a 10-12 mile out-back you can repeat. There is nice bike lane on both sides, which is pretty smooth except for a little bumpy stretch through the mangrove forest . Generally not too much traffic either. You won't see the ocean unless from top of bridge, but great bay views. You'll be able to get in aero position for most of time on this, which I doubt you can do much at all in PGA National.

There might be better areas inland, but I never rode much down there except along beach. I'd take any new rider to Singer Island.

Going north from Publix along US1 and turning onto Ocean Drive, aka A1A, there is also bike lane. However, that stretch, which is very scenic along ocean, gets alot of tourist and local traffic. Also northbound there is parking to right of bike lane and you have to be careful of people opening car doors.

Have a great visit with you mom.

________
Quote Reply
Re: Places to ride Palm Beach Gardens area [H-] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm back in Alaska after a week in Palm Beach. Thanks so much for the advice! Tribikerun shop might be my new favorite store in the world. I stripped the pedals when putting them on the new bike and had to make emergency run to the store. I walked in the store and before I could say hello they had it on a repair stand and were fixing it. Done in 5 minutes. It was busy but they had a ton of incredibly helpful people working there ready to help. And they did a $50 bike fit for me right away that got the bike set up perfectly for me. Later in the week I noticed an issue with the shifting and they fixed that in 2 minutes and did not even charge me for it. Plus they had everything in stock including a nice pair of carbon Hokas I had been wanting to try out, that I ended up buying and wearing in a race Saturday. Loved them. Ended up riding around PGA, which was fine, and also riding loops up and down Singer Island, which was fantastic. And did nice race in Sebring on Saturday and had a great race and got a World Championship slot for Edmonton. Great Tri scene in South Florida. Integrity Multisports put on the race in Sebring and I thought it was flawless.
Last edited by: Jon: May 3, 21 10:11
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Super. Congrats on your Edmonton slot.

________
Quote Reply