Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Place to open water swim around Grand Rapids
Quote | Reply
Does anyone here know where a good place to open water swim around Grand Rapids Mi is? Lake Mi is a bit chilly yet this time of year so I am looking somewhere inland.

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Place to open water swim around Grand Rapids [MiTriBri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you're on the north side of things, Kent Couny Parks has swimming beaches at Long Lake, Myers Lake, and Wabasis Lake. If you're on the south side of town, maybe Barlow Lake or Gun Lake in Barry County.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Near Holland / Saugatuck, you can swim in Kalamazoo bay / inlet / channel. Water temps should be a little warmer than Lake MI. I've never done it, but I was there last month for a weekend and saw two guys in wetsuits doing a long swim.

Bike Sherpa
Fully Assembled Bike Transporters
http://www.bikesherpa.com

Quote Reply
Re: Place to open water swim around Grand Rapids [FLA Jill] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are there actual areas to swim or is it one of those "watch out for the boats" kind of things? Just curious as I have never been to any of those lakes before.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My sister used to lifeguard at Long Lake during the summers, so there's an actual swimming beach up there. And I think there's a real beach at one of the Barry County parks.

But it's been a while since I lived in the area, and never really got up to Wabasis or Myers Lakes.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
on a somewhat related note, is there a decent accessible pool in the downtown Grand Rapids area that anyone can point me to? I'm staying at the Holiday Inn but the pool looks way too small for lap swimming so i'm looking for suggestions. Thanks in advance!
Quote Reply
Re: Place to open water swim around Grand Rapids [pantanap] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think that the pool at GRCC still has public lap swim hours:

(616) 234-4266

http://www.grcc.cc.mi.us/ShowPage.cfm?PageID=966

If that doesn't work, East Grand Rapids HS a little further out has a good newer facility and some public lap swim time.

http://www.eastgr.org/?t=90&c=56
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
chilly?

Coastwatch shows LM surface temps at 70...give or take a couple.

Train hard...race well.
www.jimmishler.com
"Jim, I happen to agree with you" DougStern
Quote Reply
Re: Place to open water swim around Grand Rapids [Jim Mishler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No, not chilly now. When I posted this it was, but that was over 3 years, one month ago. That was a long time ago. I have done 4- 70.3's and my first full since then.

Still looking for good places to open water swim around the Byron Center, Caledonia area though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MiTriBri wrote:
Does anyone here know where a good place to open water swim around Grand Rapids Mi is? Lake Mi is a bit chilly yet this time of year so I am looking somewhere inland.

Thanks!

Hi All,
Just wondering if anyone in the Grand Rapids area has any info that is more up to date than this thread? I never would have guessed that it would be so hard to find a place to swim around here, especially since you can't walk to the mail box without tripping over water.
Thank you!!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Able to find a good place for open water swim? I live in Caledonia, have been exploring the options for tri training.
Quote Reply
Re: Place to open water swim around Grand Rapids [Mkthjones] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bostwick Lake is a great place to swim, but might be a bit north of you... several groups swim there regularly.
Quote Reply