Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Pioneer Power Meter Issue
Quote | Reply
I have a Pioneer PM that I use w/ an Edge 500. I also have a Quark PM on another bike that is also used w/ the Edge 500. I have an intermittent problem that occurs only w/ the Pioneer PM and wonder if anyone has experienced a similar issue. When doing intervals (which I do on a very flat 5k loop) I will see my cadence drop to "0" even as I am still pedaling, then I see my 10sec ave power start to drop off and my "lap power" slowly decline as well. These "drops" usually only last for 1-10 seconds and they don't occur on every ride or every interval. My effort is continuous and even during these drops. It only I have seen my lap power drop by as much as 10w during one of these events. I really like the bike this PM is on, but it lacks dependability for interval workouts. Has anyone else had something like this happen and possibly have any ideas? I contacted Pioneer and have taken all recommendations short of returning the meter to them for service.

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Pioneer Power Meter Issue [MProbst] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, I can at least tell you that I experience the same thing! As you say, it only happens on some rides and not others, and my battery is charged so that's not the issue. Lately it hasn't been as much of a problem for me so I've been ignoring it and haven't addressed it yet, so I can't provide any other help besides the solidarity!
Quote Reply
Re: Pioneer Power Meter Issue [rkd92] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the reply though...just wanted to know if I was the lone ranger or not.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a Pioneer PM and Edge 500 also. I think the problem is more specific to the Edge 500, than the powermeter. I notice the most problems when I have a full water bottle on the downtube - like somehow that impedes the communication between the two. I will have times where it drops out and I get 0 readings.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a Pioneer PM, 2nd generation, not yet updated to the latest firmware (because you need one of their own computers to upgrade the firmware, and their computers aren't that good). I have yet to experience this with a Wahoo Bolt or a Roam. I can't verify on the Garmin 500, though.

Edit: one annoying issue that I've always had with the Pioneer is that on occasion, it takes a while for my Wahoo to detect it. Both my Bolt and Roam will detect the Quarq PM on my gravel bike almost instantly. Both computers usually, but not always, acquire the Pioneer when I first wake it up. Although, the last 2-3 rides, my Bolt has taken several minutes to detect the Pioneer when I'm starting out. In the past, I've had occasional trouble if I stop mid-ride, and the Pioneer goes to sleep. In several instances, it took some time before my Bolt detected it after I restarted.
Last edited by: weiwentg: Aug 15, 20 17:05
Quote Reply