Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Pinch Test For Dehydration May Be More Useful Than Urination Frequency and Color
Quote | Reply
Hello All,

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/...articles/PMC4384849/

Excerpt:

"Clinical signs of dehydration among children with acute diarrhea differ in their ability to distinguish among mild, moderate, and severe dehydration. Of the 10 findings studied, none is sufficiently accurate to be used in isolation. When considered together, sunken eyes, decreased skin turgor, weak pulse and general appearance provide the best explanatory power of the physical signs considered."

-------------------------------------------------------

"You can quickly check for dehydration at home. Pinch the skin over the back of the hand, on the abdomen, or over the front of the chest under the collarbone. This will show skin turgor. Mild dehydration will cause the skin to be slightly slow in its return to normal. Jan 10, 2016" Google

tur·gor
ˈtərɡər/
noun
BOTANY

1. the state of turgidity and resulting rigidity of cells (or tissues), typically due to the absorption of fluid.

Cheers, Neal

+1 mph Faster
Quote Reply
Post deleted by windschatten [ In reply to ]
Re: Pinch Test For Dehydration May Be More Useful Than Urination Frequency and Color [nealhe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Can you tell the difference between normal return of skin contour vs slight slowing of return to normal contour?

They constantly try to escape from the darkness outside and within
Dreaming of systems so perfect that no one will need to be good T.S. Eliot

Quote Reply
Re: Pinch Test For Dehydration May Be More Useful Than Urination Frequency and Color [windschatten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windschatten wrote:
Hi Neal,

Sorry to rain on your parade, but skin elasticity decreases with age, and the study was done in children.

So it is not really applicable to us older folks.

Also, the protocol is pretty vague on specifics.

For now, I'd stick with urine color and amount, especially if you are way beyond being childish....

We use and have used skin turgor as one of the quick clinical diagnostic signs of dehydration for a very long time in both adults and children.
Quote Reply
Re: Pinch Test For Dehydration May Be More Useful Than Urination Frequency and Color [windschatten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windschatten wrote:
Hi Neal,

Sorry to rain on your parade, but skin elasticity decreases with age, and the study was done in children.

So it is not really applicable to us older folks.

Also, the protocol is pretty vague on specifics.

For now, I'd stick with urine color and amount, especially if you are way beyond being childish....

You don’t have do either or. Use both. Use info you get from urine and do a pinch. Yes your elasticity is different than a kids but if you pinch yourself when you’re hydrated, you can get a baseline for yourself. Then when you work out, pinch again and compare. It’s completely free and easy.
I like to use both. Sometimes if I am taking in nutrition on the bike, I can feel I’m dehydrated but my urine is completely clear and frequent. I’m sure something is off with my sodium balance.
Quote Reply
Re: Pinch Test For Dehydration May Be More Useful Than Urination Frequency and Color [nealhe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
As a dermatologist, I can tell you this is totally useless rubbish. This has been disproven for a few generations of doctors, but some still try to use it as some sort of clinical guess at hydration, but it is purely a guess.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How many of us just pinched the skin on the back of our hands? (raises pinched hand slowly)

Quote Reply
Re: Pinch Test For Dehydration May Be More Useful Than Urination Frequency and Color [tristorm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I heard scrotal tissue is the best to pinch in checking hydration status.
Quote Reply
Re: Pinch Test For Dehydration May Be More Useful Than Urination Frequency and Color [tristorm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tristorm wrote:
How many of us just pinched the skin on the back of our hands? (raises pinched hand slowly)

X2. Not good results.... ;-(
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tristorm wrote:

and boy did that skin return to shape slowly..
Quote Reply
Re: Pinch Test For Dehydration May Be More Useful Than Urination Frequency and Color [Sunday] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sunday wrote:
I heard scrotal tissue is the best to pinch in checking hydration status.

You win!

/thread

Aaron Bales
Lansing Triathlon Team
Quote Reply