Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Pimp my New U.P.
Quote | Reply
Okay, so I feel like I have been convinced this is going to be my new ride. Needing a little help to kit it out.

Wheels:

Zipp 30 Course - I think this is my preferred option right now.
HED Ardennes Plus SL
3T Discuss C35 Pro - These are actually pretty inexpensive $650 for a pair.

Bar/Stem/Post:

I was leaning toward getting something matched, probably 3T Team Stealth? Any other suggestions?

Group:

I am kind of torn between a 1X and a regular compact setup. I am leaning SRAM because I assume this is the only option if I want to go back and forth by just swapping out the cranks? I figured I would start with a Force 22 50/34 w/ an 11/32 cassette and see how I like it. My only real concern with the 1X is that the 42x11 is just not going to be enough if I plan to use this for racing?

Any other recommendations? How does this setup sound? I seem to recall being told there may be some limit on tire size if you have a front derailler on this bike?
Quote Reply
Re: Pimp my New U.P. [tri_yoda] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not sure what a U.P. Is, but I am pretty sure the Zipp 30s are actually a pretty narrow rim. Flo 30 is a nice wheel with about a 20-21 mm internal width and a decent price.
Quote Reply
Re: Pimp my New U.P. [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Unbeaten Path

The Zipp 30 Course are 21mm/25mm, so they are about as wide as anything.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Easton Cinch so you can swap spiders easily and only have one nice crank https://www.eastoncycling.com/...ctions/ec90sl-crank/
Also gives the option of the Cinch powermeter spindle for when you start to take your fun bike too seriously

Wheels - something with an XD or XDr freehub so you can get a 9t cog on there. That is how you make 1x work for racing, or for anything really as it's hard to get a good range otherwise.
Easton Heist is an option https://www.eastoncycling.com/...details/heist-wheels
(It's not that I'm an Easton fan - just the cranks are cool and the wheels were all I could think of that offered the right features at a similar price)

Maybe to derail the Easton theme I'll suggest Thomson for bars/stem/post
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What do you mean by 'go back and forth by just swapping out the cranks?'

People seem to like the bastard Di2 setup quite a bit on the shimano side as an alternative to Sram but I've been liking the Force 1 stuff so far. If you go with 1x I would agree with getting a hub with the XD driver. That lets you use the 3T 9-32 cassette for typical roadie range, the sram 10-42 cassette for wider but not crazy range, or something like the e*thirteen 9-46 if you need really wide range.

I don't think there's much differentiation in bars/stem/seatpost so get whichever brand you like most and think looks best. I would recommend a bar with a decent amount of flare to the drops (12+ degrees) as I feel flare helps drop bars transition better to off road riding.

Wheels... so many options it's tough to give a recommendation. Alloy or carbon? Tubeless compatible? Range of tire sizes? Rim Depth? # of spokes? Maybe talk to a good custom builder about your wants and use case.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As someone noted, the Easton Cinch is a good crank choice to quickly swap front ring. And/or put an XD Driver on wheelset and you can use a 10-42 or e*thirteen’s 9-44. You’ll have big jumps with latter but not likely run out of gears.

A FD will limit rear tire size.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As far as the gearing goes, I really can't think of any compelling reason not to use a 50-34 with an 11-32. It has great range for gravel racing, road riding, and trail riding.

I personally think 1x for this type of bike complicates things when one of the main reasons for 1x is for simplicity. A 50-34 with an 11-32 really does cover all your bases.

A limit of tire size with a FD? The only thing I can think of there is Etap. I have etap on my gravel bike and I can't fit my 650x48 with the FD or 700x40 - I have remote wire harness for the battery to solve this problem.

There shouldn't be any issues with tire size and FD on a regular FD.

Depending on the terrain, or loaded weight if doing something like bikepacking, 34/32 may not be a low enough gear. I've seen success stories using a 36 tooth cassette with standard road derailleurs but that will be as low as you can get without making drive train changes. If that works for you, great. If you think you may need lower, consider either a subcompact 46/30 if you want a double or 1x with a wide cassette.
Quote Reply
Re: Pimp my New U.P. [Bonesbrigade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There is a tire limit: https://www.opencycle.com/...-on-gravelplus-bikes

You're right about 2x being more flexible, though I spent time experimenting with 1x gear setup and settled on one with which I can do a hard group ride one day and hit single track trails the next (2 different wheelsets, obviously). Frankly I don't miss 2x at all.
Quote Reply
Re: Pimp my New U.P. [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Carl Spackler wrote:
There is a tire limit: https://www.opencycle.com/...-on-gravelplus-bikes

You're right about 2x being more flexible, though I spent time experimenting with 1x gear setup and settled on one with which I can do a hard group ride one day and hit single track trails the next (2 different wheelsets, obviously). Frankly I don't miss 2x at all.

Yeah, that's what I was saying - The only FD tire limit I'm aware of is when using Etap - I know because I have issues on my English! Kind of annoying, but sometimes this is the price you pay for being an early adopter.

For gearing, I just don't see the 'net positive' that I would get going 1x on a bike like this. This genre of bike by definition, is supposed to be a jack of all trades, so I like my gearing to be a jack of all trades. I do think we are heading in that direction though for 1x to be the standard - but I think it will require 13 speeds. That 3T cassette does look decent though.

I have 9 bikes, and 6 of them are 1x, so I'm certainly not anti-1x.

Last edited by: Bonesbrigade: Feb 20, 18 7:35
Quote Reply
Re: Pimp my New U.P. [cobra_kai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cobra_kai wrote:
Depending on the terrain, or loaded weight if doing something like bikepacking, 34/32 may not be a low enough gear. I've seen success stories using a 36 tooth cassette with standard road derailleurs but that will be as low as you can get without making drive train changes. If that works for you, great. If you think you may need lower, consider either a subcompact 46/30 if you want a double or 1x with a wide cassette.

Oh for sure. I've used 50-34 paired with an 11-36 no problem. I also like the idea of 46-30 paired with different cassettes.

The 30 course wheels are tough to beat. Great internal width and easy tubeless. I am actually selling mine as I scored a deal on Enve 4.5ar wheels. If I didn’t get the 4.5s I couldn’t consider any other wheel set.

I went 1x on my Exploro. 44x 10-42 with an XD driver. I race this setup on gravel and roubaix style road races without issue. A 44x10 is enough for a sprint finish for me. I do notice the jumps sometimes but less than you might think.

You may need to be careful in choosing your crank/ring combo in order to prevent it from rubbing the chainstay.

I went with matching 3t stem and bars - alloy. I didn’t want carbon in case I lay it down. I would prefer a bent bar to a broken one.

I am using the rotor inpower crank. It’s very modular and can be adapted to single or double use.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We've built up quite a few of the U.P's and Di2 1x with an XT rear mech is most popular, with Force 2nd and a 2x setup some way behind.
Mavic Crossmax 650b and a pair of 'road/cross' 700c is pretty much standard too.
The flared type bars coming from 3T and Easton are becoming popular like 3t's Superghaia(!)

'to give anything less than the best is to sacrifice the gift'...Pre
Quote Reply
Re: Pimp my New U.P. [undies] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Same setup for me but with XTR RD. 44 x 10-42. I love it, and like poster above said, it's plenty of gears.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Limit on the front der. is only if you use Etap. The battery interferes with the rear tire width. Otherwise no problems with regular front der. or Di2s.
They have pretty wide range of setups here:
https://opencycle.com/showcase
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tri_yoda wrote:
Zipp 30 Course - I think this is my preferred option right now.
HED Ardennes Plus SL
3T Discuss C35 Pro - These are actually pretty inexpensive $650 for a pair.

Looks like the HEDs are about 100 grams lighter with the same 21 mm internal width. Why the preference for Zipp?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hey,

Here's mine https://www.instagram.com/...taken-by=wheelhausbb

I have an 11-40 and Challenge Strada Bianca 36mm on the 303s, and then have a set of Enve 650Bs with WTB ByWay Road Plus TCS F 47mm.

Go 1x, you won't regret it. I have a 42 T chainring and it is fine for most road rides - I'll prob get a 10-36 XD driver cassette with as soon as they are available for the 303s.
Quote Reply
Re: Pimp my New U.P. [alexZA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Who makes a 10-36?
Last edited by: Carl Spackler: Feb 20, 18 16:07
Quote Reply
Re: Pimp my New U.P. [Carl Spackler] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SRAM will be soon according to a source I know in the company.
Quote Reply
Re: Pimp my New U.P. [undies] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
undies wrote:
We've built up quite a few of the U.P's and Di2 1x with an XT rear mech is most popular, with Force 2nd and a 2x setup some way behind.
Mavic Crossmax 650b and a pair of 'road/cross' 700c is pretty much standard too.
The flared type bars coming from 3T and Easton are becoming popular like 3t's Superghaia(!)

I guess I don't understand the Di2 1x with a mechanical rear derailler? I thought Di2 was a wireless setup?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tri_yoda wrote:
undies wrote:

I guess I don't understand the Di2 1x with a mechanical rear derailler? I thought Di2 was a wireless setup?

rear mechanism (and di2 is cable-less, not wireless)
Quote Reply
Re: Pimp my New U.P. [alexZA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Exciting! I find a 10-36 much more appealing than 9-32. And maybe it will actually have real world availability.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You could have nextie build some carbon rimmed wheels wth DT240 hubs for similar money to the zipps.
That’s what I did with my UP.

"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro."
Hunter S. Thompson
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
XT Di2 rear mech.
1x because you can't run a road front mech with mtb rear mech, we usually set the left shift levers to replicate the right lever so if you stack it, you can still change gear.
The mtb mech has a clutch and huge range too

'to give anything less than the best is to sacrifice the gift'...Pre
Quote Reply

Prev Next