Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Pigman Review
Quote | Reply
Considering the Pig for next season, fits the schedule right well. None of my buds have doen it, a review would be appreciated. Price is remarkable at $66.
Quote Reply
Re: Pigman Review [Chappy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Nice, low key half IM in the midwest. I've done it twice so here's my $.02. Located in a park outside of Cedar Rapids. Transition area on pavement with bike racks.

Swim - in a relatively clean lake with some weeds at the start of the first leg. Wetsuit legal for both races I've done although temps were in low 70's.

Bike - first 40 miles are flat and fast depending on winds. A few railroad tracks to cross (plywood helped) and some rumple strips. The last 16 or so miles are rolling but nothing really difficult. Overall fast bike course if the winds cooperate. Open to traffic with police at intersections.

Run - only 1 hill to speak of and that's exiting and entering the park. Run is an out and back with zero shade so it can get warm depending on the day. The road has a substantial crown to it and I damaged my right IT band by not crossing the road frequently. It's open to traffic so be careful.

Other - timing chips would be nice, especially for a regional long course championship. Post race food pretty good. Carbo load - Olive Garden, Biaggi's (really good). Great IM prep race and I would recommend it.

tinman
Quote Reply
Re: Pigman Review [tinman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I did it this year and have a couple of updates to tinman's observations.

Swim - water temp 81 - no wetsuits. I believe this is a rarity.

bike - what he said.

run - really hot this year. all pavement no shade. tv weather said in the 90's. On the road it was probably more like 110.

post-race food was great. spaghetti and pizza. soda pop and other junk. A reward for all the excercise.

Chip timing.

A genuine bargain.

Larry
Quote Reply
Re: Pigman Review [Larry Himmel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This race does fill - so plan ahead. Nice midwest race with some fast competition.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Big thumbs up. Very nicely run race. Course isn't overly tough, but it's friendly and very well run. I'm going back this year.

Big EE
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Its a good race! Here is a profile i did for the Chicago Tri Club Website.

Pigman Half Iron

Distance: Half Ironman (1.2mile Swim- 56mile Bike- 13.1 mile Run)

Reviewer's Name: Ed Stygar

Race Location: Cedar Rapids, IA

Who's There: All abilities.

Registration/Packet Pickup: Packet pick up is on Saturday, Race is on Sunday. Race is small, so pickup is easy, people are really friendly. They have about a 4 vendor expo, have tri products and small things you may need fro race. Have free seminars on rules, etc… T-shirts are great, pig on the front and “Dig the Pig Gig” on the back.

Transition Area: Fairly small and easy to navigate, just short run uphill from swim. Same location for both transitions.

Start & Swim: Beach Start in a little lake, one lap. Wave starts. Water is warm, wore a wetsuit in 2002, but be prepared for a non-wetsuit swim as it can be very hot there in August. Some weeds on outsides of course. In 2002 there was fog on the lake so they delayed the start until it cleared, but the fog came back after the start and it was hard to find anything.

Bike: Loop Course. Deceiving course because it seems flat, but there are a lot of long gradual ascents, and some small steep hills that can wear you down. Nice roads through Iowa farm country. There are rumblers on some roads, they are annoying man made bumps that they typically before toll booths and/or intersections. Although we didn’t have much wind or intense heat last in 2002, the course has been known for wind and heat in the past.

Run: Mostly flat run course with some hills. Out and back on wide open road, so the sun is a factor. There is a hill at the beginning, middle and at the end or run, the rest is flat and a downhill finish next to the transition area.

Post Party: Well organized. Plenty of food, good family atmosphere.

Overall Organization: A well organized race. Smooth registration, good race area, plenty of food and drinks on and off the course. Smaller race so you don’t have to deal with crowds or an overcrowded course. I would definitely do it again.

Final Notes: Next to Muncie, this is one of the better organized races I have been in. Good organization, good course, and no crowds.

-----------------------:)
SUPPORT OPERATION REBOUND:
http://www.operationreboundcalifornia.kintera.org/ejs3

Kestrel Syndicate
Macca Fan Club
Quote Reply