Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Pigman HIM RR (First HIM)
Quote | Reply
Post-season last fall was my decision to give the half distance a try. I began researching training info as previous tri experience was limited to sprints and olys. Thus, I became a lurker on ST and since a lot of input from STers was incorporated into my training and race plans, I thought I'd post some results. (Friel's TTB was the basis for the whole plan.)

The goal: finish and get some experience pacing and competing at this distance.

The day: you can't ask for a nicer day in Iowa in mid August -- little wind, high of low 80's. Up at 4:45 (my wave was to start at 8:06) and downed 3 Ensure Plus's (350 cal each) over the course of a half hour.

The swim: One gel + water right before the start. I'm a poor swimmer so my plan was to just navigate well, and stay nice and easy. Mission accomplished, until the final turn. I strayed away from the buoys (this happens to me a lot on final turns) and had to angle back to the finish. Cost me probably a minute. A previous wave breast stroker kicked off my goggles about 50m from shore... glad that happened late. 43ish min swim, but I felt great coming out.

The bike: This was harder than I expected to bring my heart rate down. It took 3 or 4 miles (plus there are some minor uphills on the way out of the park) to settle. Once out of the park on the flats I settled down to 145ish (my initial race pace target) and got on the hydration. Over the course of the ride I went through 7 bottles (4 nuun tabs in total) and one bottle of Perpetuem (loaded relatively densely, 900ish cal in one bottle). This is exactly what I did on all my training rides... which were only followed by 2-3 mi runs. In the end, I felt way too good on the bike and pressed the effort just a bit (it IS a race...) and my bike HR avg was 155. I felt really strong on the hill coming back into the park (I actually had to pass a car, wise or not) and ended with a 2:50ish ride. This is disappointing from where I think I could be, but was right in line with what I expected from training at these heart rates. Something to work on for next year.

The run: my legs felt good (they should, with the bike intentionally easy). The kinks worked out within 2 miles (the same hilly exit from the park as the bike) and I hit a nice easy stride. Aid station plans (every mile) was gel + water / water / gatorade / water / repeat 3x. I was carrying a flask loaded with 4 gels. I skipped the last gel because I felt really good coming up the last monster hill back into the park, and picked it up the last 2 mi. Got a lot of comments like "looks like you have some left in the tank" and "way to finish strong". Felt like I was running easy 8:30's, in reality they were 9:00's. I negative split the run by a minute and finished 5:40ish overall.

All in all I feel great about the race. I learned a lot about what I can tolerate in training, how to pace long races off of training performances, and nutrition. My overall avg HR for the race was 158, and I never felt bloated, ready to bonk, etc. Given that, I really think I paced the race pretty well for my current fitness. Pressing it harder any earlier would have bought me very little time at the expense of a lot of suffering.

I can tell my endurance isn't up to this distance yet, though. My training volume was endurance oriented and I sacrificed a lot of speed work to get in the Z2ish miles, but if I keep the same volume next year I'll probably be able to handle a higher workload.

I'm not sure I'll repeat this distance next year or not. It's hard for me to get the minimum bike hours in (was doing an average of 5 hrs/wk, max of 140ish) and that was a fundamental limiter for me -- my bike was relatively slow and still inhibited my run a bit.

The volunteers were awesome (there were hordes) and the quality of competition was significantly higher than local sprints. I can't be happier about how the training and race went.

Thanks to those who post on training and racing. This is a great forum for sharing info.

Now to plan next year!

----------------------------------------------------
Note to self: increase training load.
Quote Reply
Re: Pigman HIM RR (First HIM) [SignalStrength] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Congratulations on finishing. Good job controlling the bike effort to get a better run.

<reply>7 bottles (4 nuun tabs in total) and one bottle of Perpetuem <reply>

You did 8 bottles in under 3 hours?????? I did 2 bottles of Infinit and 1 1/2 bottles of water in 2 1/2 hours under similar conditions and I thought I was drinking a lot.

<reply>3 Ensure Plus's (350 cal each)<reply>

Your breakfast seems large also. Are you a bigger guy? I generally eat cereal, banana, and gatorade endurance -- 400 cal -- before a HIM.

Swim - Bike - Run the rest is just clothing changes.
Quote Reply
Re: Pigman HIM RR (First HIM) [SignalStrength] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Now to plan next year! "

(whispered crowd chanting):

iron-man...iron-man...iron-man...

mm
Quote Reply
Re: Pigman HIM RR (First HIM) [mullinsm] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah, that's what I was thinking! I did my first HIM a year ago and got the "long course fever" and sure enough, an IM is in my future in 10 weeks!
Great race, and well-executed!

------------------
My business-eBodyboarding.com
Quote Reply
Re: Pigman HIM RR (First HIM) [linhardt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
[quote]You did 8 bottles in under 3 hours?????? I did 2 bottles of Infinit and 1 1/2 bottles of water in 2 1/2 hours under similar conditions and I thought I was drinking a lot.[/quote]

Typing too quick. 7 bottles included the feed bottle, so six hydration. I only drank when thirsty and to offset the concentrated feed mixture, and it was NOT hot.

A while back I entered data into that Gatorade or Powergel (I forget which) web site where you enter weight before/after an hour workout to calculate sweat rate. I was informed it would not answer because my data was incorrect. I repeated the test with the same results. I am, obviously, a heavy sweater.

[quote]Your breakfast seems large also. Are you a bigger guy? I generally eat cereal, banana, and gatorade endurance -- 400 cal -- before a HIM.[/quote]

I am not, unless you consider 150 large. Smaller breakfasts I can tolerate (and I only down 2 Ensures before shorter races) but tested out 3 for the half because I tended to get hunger pangs pre-race. This worked just fine so I may stick to it regardless, in the future.
Quote Reply