Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Pick my gravel wheelset
Quote | Reply
Hey ST,

I'm jumping on the gravel bandwagon with a Spesh Diverge. Leading two options for the 650b wheelset are HED Emporia GA Pro at $900 or ENVE G27 at $2500. Leadtime at HED is 6 weeks, 16 weeks for ENVE.

Is the ENVE worth 3x the price and wait?

I'm new to gravel, so can't say for sure where this will lead other than getting into the foothills of the Cascade mountains outside my doorstep here in the PNW. Mostly solo riding for riding's sake, although I do have my eye on several local gravel fondos if we ever get back to that sort of thing and would have the competitive juices flowing.

What would you do?
Quote Reply
Re: Pick my gravel wheelset [GreatScott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
have you considered the enve gravel foundation wheels? they are about 1600 a pair

the world's still turning? >>>>>>> the world's still turning
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Whether you spend $150 and build your own wheel like I did or spend 20 times that, the tires you put on them is going to make a lot more difference in the performance of your bike than the wheels.

And they cost less...
Quote Reply
Re: Pick my gravel wheelset [cdw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good point; third option:

24 hole 650b HED Belgium G hoops with White Industries CLD+ hubs

Thoughts on that build?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would look at the AG28 from ENVE but only because they have lifetime incident protection. I personally went with Spinergy GX Max for a 650b wheelset. I'd rather have 3 fairly nice wheelsets (each setup with different tires) rather than 1 really, really nice wheelset.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well, anything from Hed is going to be solid, as is White Industries. I built all my gravel wheels and honestly, I can't tell the difference between a 40 dollar XT hub and a $90 DT Swiss 350. And since having a bad time with another brand, I only build tubeless wheels with WTB rims. Unless you can put a narrow enough tire on a deep rim to be aero, I just can't see why people put down thousands on carbon wheels. You could spend ten times as much as my $150 home built wheel and what are you going to have? Maybe a pound of lost weight which is equal to about 1 watt climbing up a hill and will be close to zero over rolling terrain. To me, that is just not good value when I'm trying to save up for electronic shifting. :) Now if you want to talk tires, well, how much time do you have?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GreatScott wrote:
Hey ST,

I'm jumping on the gravel bandwagon with a Spesh Diverge. Leading two options for the 650b wheelset are HED Emporia GA Pro at $900 or ENVE G27 at $2500. Leadtime at HED is 6 weeks, 16 weeks for ENVE.

I'm new to gravel, so can't say for sure where this will lead other than getting into the foothills of the Cascade mountains outside my doorstep here in the PNW. Mostly solo riding for riding's sake, although I do have my eye on several local gravel fondos if we ever get back to that sort of thing and would have the competitive juices flowing.

What would you do?
Flo has new gravel wheels. You look at them?
If you can afford enve I'd consider a few other options based on delivery. But, enve has a great warranty right? You can probably buy 2 sets of something else for the price of enve
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GreatScott wrote:
Good point; third option:

24 hole 650b HED Belgium G hoops with White Industries CLD+ hubs

Thoughts on that build?

That sounds really nice. I have a stock HED 650B gravel wheelset (Ardennes?) which is great, they really spin up fast. I also have another set of custom built road wheels with White Industries hubs and they are top notch. So I don't think you can wrong combining White Industries hubs with HED hoops.

I really don't think spending 3X more for ENVE is worth it. To the extent carbon fiber makes sense, it is for deep (aero) wheels and if you are riding real gravel, there just isn't going to be a big bang for your buck on aero. Also just thinking of the risk of possible damage, because again you are going to see a lot of rocks, lots of opportunities to get some wheel damage.
Last edited by: tri_yoda: Feb 11, 21 18:28
Quote Reply
Re: Pick my gravel wheelset [bearlyfinish] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
bearlyfinish wrote:
I would look at the AG28 from ENVE but only because they have lifetime incident protection. I personally went with Spinergy GX Max for a 650b wheelset. I'd rather have 3 fairly nice wheelsets (each setup with different tires) rather than 1 really, really nice wheelset.

Also agree with this. For gravel, having the right tire combination is way more important that saving a little weight or aero on one really nice set of wheels. Two sets of wheels, one tubeless with your workhorse all around gravel tires and then another one with latex tubes and a quiver of tires to switch to conditions is the best way to be ready to do well in any race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Light Bicycle. Their WR series are 25mm internal, 32mm external. Come in a variety of depths.

Aero. Light. Customizable. Reasonably priced. Very high quality. They are legit.
Might have to wait a bit though. Probably 2-3 month lead time right now with Chinese New Year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a HED wheel set on my Lynskey gravel bike. They are the Ardennes wheels. Flexible axle and cassette options. Tubeless.

I like them and they don’t break the bank.
Quote Reply
Re: Pick my gravel wheelset [jharris] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hard to find a better wheel for the price than those from berd:

They are super light weight and have gotten great reviews.

i25mm rims, hookless and 1186 grams.

https://berdspokes.com/...riant=36683398480036

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
$2,500 for ANY wheelset is way beyond anything I would/could pay. I just can't see the benefits you are getting for +$1,000 over so may other options.....but that's just me.

Hunt gets excellent reviews.
$1,089 for their carbon 650b option
https://us.huntbikewheels.com/collections/650b-gravel-wheels/products/650b-adventurecarbon-disc

Personally I'm a fan of Reynolds wheels. I just went with their ATRX 700 wheels on my new gravel build. They have a 650b versions as well @ $1,550
https://hayesbicycle.com/collections/gravel/products/atr-x-650b

I was going to get the Hunt gravel wheels for my new build, but the shop also sold Reynolds so I went that route to keep it simple.
Quote Reply
Re: Pick my gravel wheelset [MKirk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Had to do a double-take on the Hunt Wheels price... Was considering a pair and now may change my mind. Right before Christmas time they were closer to $800, not $1000+...
Quote Reply
Re: Pick my gravel wheelset [MarkL] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
MarkL wrote:
Had to do a double-take on the Hunt Wheels price... Was considering a pair and now may change my mind. Right before Christmas time they were closer to $800, not $1000+...

Yup, I have seen a few post mentioning a price increase. Still though, @ $1k what's a carbon comparable? Serious question as I'm looking @ a 650b wheelset as well.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
MKirk wrote:
$2,500 for ANY wheelset is way beyond anything I would/could pay. I just can't see the benefits you are getting for +$1,000 over so may other options.....but that's just me.

https://us.huntbikewheels.com/collections/650b-gravel-wheels/products/650b-adventurecarbon-disc

Personally I'm a fan of Reynolds wheels. I just went with their ATRX 700 wheels on my new gravel build. They have a 650b versions as well @ $1,550

I was going to get the Hunt gravel wheels for my new build, but the shop also sold Reynolds so I went that route to keep it simple.

I went with these Reynolds as well for my gravel build- great value and lifetime warranty
Quote Reply
Re: Pick my gravel wheelset [COBRI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
COBRI wrote:
MKirk wrote:

I went with these Reynolds as well for my gravel build- great value and lifetime warranty

I have owned many different wheels brand over the years and to date, Reynolds are now my favorite. Reasonable priced, aero, great warranty.....more importantly for me is tubeless tires (at lest Conti 5000TLs) are super easy to mount and remove - I have two sets of Reynolds AERO, 45's & 62's. Hoping the ATRX will have similar great results (bike is still a few weeks out from delivery).

I will add that I see Enve now has the AG25 or AG28 @ that $1,500 price point. If I haven't committed already, I would have taken a serious look at these wheels - actually still may take a serious look.
https://www.enve.com/en/product-discipline/gravel/?fwp_product-categories=wheels
Last edited by: MKirk: Feb 12, 21 13:24
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Boyd CCC. $700, light and durable, wide which is probably pretty aero, not tall. I’ve beat mine and they have never lost true.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GreatScott wrote:
Hey ST,

What would you do?

It might be worthwhile to have a custom build where the spokes (stiffness and count) are closely matched to your weight and riding style. Also, I agree with others that the G27's worth is debatable compared to the AG28. The AG28 rims are supposed to be available on their own so a custom build could give you faster delivery.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Industry Nine--won't get a better hub and not sure why so many folks are carbon focused for gravel--alloy rim is plenty good and Industry Nine's MTB background sure doesn't hurt their knowledge of building great wheels that can take abuse...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have you looked at your private messages?
Quote Reply
Re: Pick my gravel wheelset [NordicSkier] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NordicSkier wrote:
Light Bicycle. Their WR series are 25mm internal, 32mm external. Come in a variety of depths.

Aero. Light. Customizable. Reasonably priced. Very high quality. They are legit.
Might have to wait a bit though. Probably 2-3 month lead time right now with Chinese New Year.

I was going to get Light Bicycle but was turned off by their very high shipping costs, seems like they're padding their margins. I ended up going with Farsports, which were cheaper as shipping is included, and quality is excellent, I'm sure comparable to LB. Build quality is far superior to a no-name Chinese carbon wheel I bought a while ago, rim build quality is comparable to my Zipp Firecrest tri race wheels and overall build quality is actually better, the spoke tension on the Zipps was not very even. Wait time was about a month and a half.

No way would I spend $1800-2400 on wheels for gravel. They'll get scratched up and the performance advantage over less expensive wheels is minimal to nonexistent. And even though I went with a set of carbon wheels (mostly for the marginal gain of lighter weight) I think there's something to be said for buying decent alloy mid-weight wheels and having a couple of sets with different tires for different riding conditions. Or if you're using your gravel bike as a quiver killer, a mid-range alloy set of wheels for gravel and a deeper carbon set for road.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for all the great feedback.....I pulled the trigger on HED. Now the hard part; waiting for delivery!
Quote Reply
Re: Pick my gravel wheelset [Skippy74] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This......^^^^^^

i9 have a solid reputation.

http://theworldthroumyeyes.tumblr.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
GreatScott wrote:
Thanks for all the great feedback.....I pulled the trigger on HED. Now the hard part; waiting for delivery!

Sweet! Which HED set?
Quote Reply

Prev Next