Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Pick a Cassette For IMCHOO
Quote | Reply
I will be doing IMCHOO in Sept and am wondering, if you could pick any 11spd rear cassette to have on your bike what would it be? Why?

I am interested because from my understanding the bike course is pretty much a rolling course with one climb. Is that climb significant enough to warrant a cassette change or will the stock cassette on my SC due just fine or is there a benefit to going with more of closed group cassette to get better speed/momentum on the rolling hills.
Quote Reply
Re: Pick a Cassette For IMCHOO [Cptnemo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If the climb is same one as the 70.3 then I’d choose 11-28. I am a spinner (natural cadence is 95rpm), not a masher, and was glad to have the 28 on the one steep climb. That’s the only reason I ran the 11-28.

Otherwise I think I only got into the 25 cog once or twice as no other real climbs. The rollers were fast and easy to carry momentum through them. But for that one climb I would have run a 11-23 and been super content. YMMV though depending on your style of spinner vs masher.

If the 140.6 course has a different hill in question then please disregard all this.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think you'd be fine with either a 11-25 or 11-28. I'm honestly not sure what the "one climb" is - the one leaving Chickamuaga? That's the longest climb, but it's not really steep. I think there's a shorter punchy climb on the far south side of the loop, just before turning back north.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The loop is flat-ish and fast. I ran a 11-25 with 52-36 chainrings in the 70.3 and barely used the big cogs (except for that one hill).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In general what speed would you expect to average based on passed history?

What size chainrings do you have?

What is your weight?

-------------------------
Dave Latourette
http://www.TTENation.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just a general question: what is a potential disadvantage of having 11-28 even if you don’t use the 28? Less choice on the middle cogs?

I’m training on New Engeland hills with 11-28 and on long rides it’s faster than 11-25, because effort is smoother. Planning to use 11-28 in IMCHOO as well.
Quote Reply
Re: Pick a Cassette For IMCHOO [ask77nl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, some bigger gear jumps in the middle. The 11-28 is missing a 16.
Quote Reply
Re: Pick a Cassette For IMCHOO [mbwallis] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mbwallis wrote:
Yes, some bigger gear jumps in the middle. The 11-28 is missing a 16.

The Shimano one is, but the SRAM 11-28 has the 16. I have both and find the SRAM one to be much better as missing that 16 on the Shimano seems noticeable.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I ran a SRAM RED 11-23 on a compact crank last year and intend to do the same again this year.
Quote Reply
Re: Pick a Cassette For IMCHOO [Dave Latourette] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dave Latourette wrote:
In general what speed would you expect to average based on passed history?

What size chainrings do you have?

What is your weight?

First IM so past race history for that distance is 0. However in all of my training for long rides I have been averaging 21.5-23mph. Race day I have a feeling I will be coming in around 22-22.5mph

I have an 11-28 right now

I am 191lbs but am at the 10% or below body fat. I have a lot of muscle mass in my upper body.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm a shitty cyclist and weigh 180 and I was perfectly fine with 52-36/11-28. That one climb (which you do twice) isn't really that bad. To compare, if you've ever done Tremblant, those little punchies on Duplessis made me wish for 30, but I never once felt the need for more in Chatt. fwiw I did 5:46 and though I fell apart on the run that was more due to a screw up in nutrition.

That screw up was largely due to their special needs practice, the first time you go around they don't even ask if you want the bag, they just go searching for it anyway. I rode by and when I saw them holding my bag I said hold on to it. Came around the second time to get it and they said they trashed it. So don't plan on using special needs for a late bike grab, seems you can only grab it on loop 1. I've used that plan at other races where you pass by special needs more than once and never had an issue, they usually ask you if you want it. Oh well, plan for that.

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
11-28 just like every other race
Quote Reply
Re: Pick a Cassette For IMCHOO [hadukla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hadukla wrote:
That screw up was largely due to their special needs practice, the first time you go around they don't even ask if you want the bag, they just go searching for it anyway. I rode by and when I saw them holding my bag I said hold on to it. Came around the second time to get it and they said they trashed it.

That's really good to know. Was that 'functioning as intended,' or was it volunteer error they trashed it? I can't find it in the 17 Athlete guide.

JustinDoesTriathlon

Owner, FuelRodz Endurance.
Quote Reply
Re: Pick a Cassette For IMCHOO [justinhorne] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Functioning as intended confirmed by the response to my angry email to the official contact thereafter the race. And yes, it wasn't listed in last year's guide either. I would definitely ask the question in the briefing, hopefully they can change that...

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Considering your upper body mass I'd stick with the 28 especially since you have been riding it. That will allow you to stay in your appropriate power bins OR effort ranges a little easier

-------------------------
Dave Latourette
http://www.TTENation.com
Quote Reply
Re: Pick a Cassette For IMCHOO [Dave Latourette] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dave Latourette wrote:
Considering your upper body mass I'd stick with the 28 especially since you have been riding it. That will allow you to stay in your appropriate power bins OR effort ranges a little easier

Thank you for the suggestion!
Quote Reply