Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Photochromic lenses
Quote | Reply
I asked for new sunglasses this year for my birthday. My pair of Natives have been fine over the years but the interchangeable lenses are starting to get loose.

I'm interested in getting frames with photochromic lenses that would perform well in a variety of conditions. Often I start my ride early when it's darker but then get full sun. But also I'm lazy or usually running late and don't like changing the lenses out (at least on mine) depending on the forecast.

For those who have photochromic, do you like it? How do they do in brighter conditions? Am I better off just going with a better lenses clarity like the Chromapop or Prizm and just swapping out?
Let me know what else I'm missing. Thanks!

Here's my short list so far:
Smith Attack or Reverb (phtochromic or chromapop lens)
100% Racetrap (photochromic or HiPER lens)
Uvez sportstyle 804V (photochromic)
Oakley EVEro blades (photochromic or prizm lens)
Quote Reply
Re: Photochromic lenses [jonmhicks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have them and use them regularly. They work amazing. For your application I think you would love them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Prescription photochromic Oakley Valve here. Clear to grey transition. I sometimes think that they could be darker, but that's more of a vanity/how they look from the outside thing, as they don't appear to get all that dark. In actual use though I never really think about it and that to me means they're doing their job perfectly. In full sun they darken up plenty. Not having to have different glasses for late nights/early mornings/bad weather, and especially at the price, is a blessing.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been using a pair of Rudy Project photochromic glasses for years. 'Rydon2' . They go from near-clear to pretty dark.
I use them on the mtb too as woodland trails can go from bright to shady plenty of times.

For the tri bike and road bike I've been using some UK brand Sunwise (model is 'Hastings' ) for about a year - they're rimless so helps that little bit more with not craning the neck back when on the aero bars. They go from a light grey to somewhere near dark (not mega dark but as above work fine and never think 'wish they were darker. Fully CE compliant etc and about 40% of the price of Oakley equivalents.

Ive a pair of Oakley Evzero Path rimless normal shades (not photochromic) and now rarely use - they only come out when its a guaranteed 100% sunny day and I know I'll home before dusk.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have Oakleys and they are pretty much the only glasses I wear. We ride early mornings typically starting before sunrise. The ability for them to go from clear to dark as it gets brighter is fantastic.

I have never found that don’t get dark enough.

I also have Prism Road and Trail lenses that I do use from time to time but these I use about 90% of the time.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would agree with what others have said about the Oakley photochromics. They're awesome. I've used them for night mountain biking, and midday sunny rides - never felt I needed less light transmission.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been using the Tifosi Tyrant for a few years with the photochromatic lenses. I can't speak for the others, but for the price, I think that these are fine. Mine are now 9 (!) years old and I can't remember what they looked like on day 1, but mine are not water clear in the dark and they get dark enough in bright sun, but not as dark as the darkest non-photocromatic lenses. Still, totally fine and, for the $, a bargain. This is actually my 2nd pair - I busted my 1st pair in a crash in 2011... During the summer, the photochromatic effect isn't that useful. I find that the spring and fall, when the sun intensity is more likely to vary during a run or ride, is when the photochromatic feature has real benefit.
Quote Reply
Re: Photochromic lenses [giorgitd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I use the Tifosi Veloce with photochromatic lenses. They work well for me and they are also readers so I can see my computer.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I really like my Tifosi's with photochromic lenses. They look good, are a great bargain, and work just fine for all but the brightest summer day.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had a pair of Specialized Arc Adaptalite glasses that were the best sunglasses I've ever owned. They changed tint very quickly and were both dark and light enough at either end. They disappeared or I'd still be wearing them. If I could find something as good as they were I'd get another pair.
Quote Reply
Re: Photochromic lenses [offpiste.reese] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I’ve use the radar path for about five years. My only complaint is that after about three or four years the coating wore off, I assume due to sweat even though religiously clean them after each ride.

Given that the lighting can change early or late in the day, I would never use anything else.
Quote Reply
Re: Photochromic lenses [offpiste.reese] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll throw in my recommendation for Roka's photochromic lenses. As a prescription lens wearer, photochromic lenses are a necessity unless you want to use an insert or have some serious cash to burn on extra lenses for different conditions.

I have the phantom aviators with prescription photochromatic lenses that I use for just about everything from casual outdoor activities to cycling to trail running. They are clear enough to pass as normal prescription glasses inside, and while they don't have the sweet style of the mirrored lenses they do an excellent job of darkening things when in direct sunlight.
Quote Reply
Re: Photochromic lenses [Seamonster] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have prescription lenses so it's absolutely critical that I wear glasses when I ride or run. I recently replaced my old Oakley prescription sunglasses for another pair of Oakley's with prescription transition lenses. I cycle to work which can be anything from bright daylight to nighttime. The Oakley's are fantastic. I love not having to carry an extra set of glasses with different tints depending on when I'm riding to work or back home, one pair does it all.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use the Photochromic oakleys also. I prefer to use normal polarized sunnies in full sun but the photochromics are still pretty good in the sun and great if you leave before sunrise.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you, all. Great insight and lots of good recs for Oakley, as well as tifosi, Sunwise, Rudy, and Roka. I really like some of the Roka stuff, but they just don't seem to fit me very well when I've tried on at expos.
If anyone else has experience with other brands, LMK.

Definitely sounds like photochromic would work really well for my use.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Smith version works great for me. They are about the only pair I wear anymore when I think I have 4 sets of riding glasses. I wish I could buy their lenses for my old Smith glasses.

I like the Reverb more than the Attack. The attachment system for the Attack was a little too clunky for me. The larger lens of the Reverb is better than the Attack, but the Attack Max lens was just a little too big.
Quote Reply