Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Photo Reviews Requested - Please
Quote | Reply
Here is a link to a picture of me from the side in the aero position. It was on rollers so I was not able to get a static shot of the legs.

You may need to copy and paste the link if it does not work when clicked on.

I used to ride with a 73 degree stem (150mm) in the low position. I can not even remember how I used to ride that way other than it was 15 years ago and 30 pounds ago. I realize that to get any lower I will have to get a new stem. Last year I rode anywhere from 20.5 mph to 22.5 mph. I will pobably get a new bike this fall and am not real interested in totally redoing the present bike.

(As for the shorts - I ride in biking shorts but was not wearing any when I started playing with my son's toy camera.)

Thanks. DavidK

http://home.earthlink.net/~krahulik/index.html

Quote Reply
Re: Photo Reviews Requested - Please [DavidK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dave, it's realy hard to judge based upon this picture. I'm no expert but it doesn't look all that bad considering that you're on a road bike. The only thing is that you shouldn't feel too stretched out on those aero bars. They may work for you but on my two road bikes there's Profile Jammer GT's on one and small size Syntace C2's on the other(I use medium on a tri bike). The problem with using too long aero bars on a road geometry is that it may strain your low back.

The only thing that you might want to play with is John Cobb's big slam position which is described fairly well on his web site. My old Miele is set up this way with the seat lowered an inch below the inseam x .883 formula and slammed right back on the rails as well as using a shorter stem with the Jammer GT's. I could ride quite fast that way, felt very comfortable while riding, but my hamstings always ached going into the run. That's the big reason why I ride steep now. Other people I know who ride slammed had no such problems.
Quote Reply
Re: Photo Reviews Requested - Please [cerveloguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
The problem with using too long aero bars on a road geometry is that it may strain your low back.
Not only that, but more importantly, you take your core body out of the picture and thereby seriously hinder your power output, especially over the long haul.
Quote Reply
Re: Photo Reviews Requested - Please [TriBriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks to both of you. Do I looked stretched out? Compared to where I used to have my bars I feel somewhat compact.

I really appreciate any and all advice. This forum is a great resource.

I feel pretty good on the bike as it is now. I can choke back on my aerobars when I want to dig in and I can stretch out a little when I am "cruising." The aerobars can be adjusted forwards and back so I will think about moving them back a little.

Thanks. DavidK
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

David,

be careful with all that stuff around you when you ride rollers. There was a dude in our area that fell off his rollers and cut his juggular vein on a glass coffee table and died.

I was, now I will tri again!
Any time is a good time.
God Bless you my friend.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
"I feel pretty good on the bike as it is now."

Dave, I think that's the key. If it feels right then it probably is. I didn't really think that you looked overly stretched out, but it was just a possibility. Seems like it works well for you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think you need to work on a few things;

First the location of your light source is off.
You need to move the light so that it comes from more behind the camera.

Second the picture is slightly out of focus, increasing the "exposure time" will bring the person into focus while creating a blurring effect with the feet.

You said PHOTO review
Quote Reply
Re: Photo Reviews Requested - Please [Richard R] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Very good. I did say "Photo Review." Thanks. DavidK
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would move your seat forward about 3-4 centimeters and, of course, move your stem down a good 2-4 centimeters. If you can on that frame. I'm 60 and I go lower than that with a very bad back. You still have mother's milk in your mouth so you could probably go a foot lower. :) j/k Are you short-waisted? When you buy your next frame do it at a place that can fit you properly. I'm not certain that frame is the one I'd pick for you. You'd probably have to pay Cobb or Demerly a grand to fix that setup. :)

-robert

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~Anne Frank
Quote Reply
Re: Photo Reviews Requested - Please [Robert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Actually I've read here from posters that Tom's assessments are fairly reasonable. I'd assume John is quite expensive. For something like this Tom probably wouldn't charge much. In fact I'm surprised he hasn't been here to analyze the photo - and that's for free!

I thought about getting him lower but Dave mentioned that he rode that way fifteen yrs and 30 lbs ago. Also it's early in the season, so might be something else to work towards as the season progresses. This early on, getting comfortable is the most important.
Quote Reply