Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Philly people - what's up with the pointing bike lady on the Bicyclist's Baltimore Pike?!
Quote | Reply
Today was the 4th freaking time I've ridden by this woman. Every time I ride past her (always in opposite directions) she gives me a stern point in the other direction, and I have no idea why. She looks to be above average height, 45-55 years old, wears non-cycling clothes (dark colors), rides an inexpensive bike with a basket on it, has a helmet cam, and a whistle around her neck.

The very first time I saw her was near the cemetery near west Philly. I had just rolled through a stop sign and she pointed and blew her whistle as I rode by. I thought she was pointing at the stop sign as if to say, "you are supposed to stop!"

I saw her again in the same area a few days later, this time with just a stern point, and I thought maybe I had just rolled through another stop sign.

A few days after that I saw her again, with another stern point. This time I did NOTHING wrong.

And then today, this time on the other side of Swarthmore, yet another stern point, for no reason.

Is she telling me I'm going the wrong way?
Is this her version of a cyclist's wave?

WTF is going on??!!!

-----------------------------Baron Von Speedypants
-----------------------------RunTraining articles here:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...runtraining;#1612485
Quote Reply
Re: Philly people - what's up with the pointing bike lady on the Bicyclist's Baltimore Pike?! [BarryP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don't know this one - but there's enough material for a "strange yet recognizable denizens of Philly who you'll see while training" thread. There used to be bee-keeper guy, then there was aqua-sports-bra-roller-blade woman, fast-handlebar-moustache-and-platform-pedals cyclist dude...
Last edited by: Bob Loblaw: May 24, 18 6:20
Quote Reply
Re: Philly people - what's up with the pointing bike lady on the Bicyclist's Baltimore Pike?! [BarryP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is her name Wanda?

Pink? Maybe. Maybe not. You decide.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's Philly.. It's a FUCKED up place.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used to see a dude riding a unicycle in Wissahickon. Like a boss too, he was impressive on that thing
Quote Reply
Re: Philly people - what's up with the pointing bike lady on the Bicyclist's Baltimore Pike?! [Bob Loblaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ok, so yeah, I've got two. One is an older dude (60's?) who rides/drives the SRT on his motorized tricycle, Conshy area. The next is a different older dude, scruffy, who walks MILES I think daily. I've seen him from Shawmont Stn out to Indian Head whatever, past Norristown and just before the woods leading to Betzwood. It's a good distance to cover while walking. One day I endeavered to speak to him, a friendly Wow, you sure put the miles in! He cussed me out in a completely bat shit way and I now give him a huge bearth for fear he'll really flip his lid one day.

But the woman mentioned by the OP, I know nothing about that one.

To breathe, to feel, to know I'm alive.
Quote Reply
Re: Philly people - what's up with the pointing bike lady on the Bicyclist's Baltimore Pike?! [Tsunami] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tsunami wrote:
One day I endeavered to speak to him, a friendly Wow, you sure put the miles in! He cussed me out in a completely bat shit way and I now give him a huge bearth for fear he'll really flip his lid one day.

hahahaha

yeah. there's people like that out there, no doubt.
Quote Reply
Re: Philly people - what's up with the pointing bike lady on the Bicyclist's Baltimore Pike?! [Tsunami] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tsunami wrote:
The next is a different older dude, scruffy, who walks MILES I think daily. I've seen him from Shawmont Stn out to Indian Head whatever, past Norristown and just before the woods leading to Betzwood. It's a good distance to cover while walking. One day I endeavered to speak to him, a friendly Wow, you sure put the miles in! He cussed me out in a completely bat shit way and I now give him a huge bearth for fear he'll really flip his lid one day.

Does he use a wheeled walker? I see one guy out there every time I ride the SRT (usually between Norristown and Betzwood) and he seems to make a subtle but conscious effort to cross over to the wrong side of the trail when he sees bikes approaching. I used to give a nod or wave but after noticing him continually doing that, now I just ignore him.
Quote Reply
Re: Philly people - what's up with the pointing bike lady on the Bicyclist's Baltimore Pike?! [ridenfish39] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ridenfish39 wrote:
I used to see a dude riding a unicycle in Wissahickon. Like a boss too, he was impressive on that thing

I still remember seeing that guy for the first time at the Wiss.. a group of about 8 of us just pulled over and stood there in awe as he hopped and rolled his way past us up a sketchy climb.
Quote Reply
Re: Philly people - what's up with the pointing bike lady on the Bicyclist's Baltimore Pike?! [WelshinPhilly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
WelshinPhilly wrote:
Tsunami wrote:
The next is a different older dude, scruffy, who walks MILES I think daily. I've seen him from Shawmont Stn out to Indian Head whatever, past Norristown and just before the woods leading to Betzwood. It's a good distance to cover while walking. One day I endeavered to speak to him, a friendly Wow, you sure put the miles in! He cussed me out in a completely bat shit way and I now give him a huge bearth for fear he'll really flip his lid one day.

Does he use a wheeled walker? I see one guy out there every time I ride the SRT (usually between Norristown and Betzwood) and he seems to make a subtle but conscious effort to cross over to the wrong side of the trail when he sees bikes approaching. I used to give a nod or wave but after noticing him continually doing that, now I just ignore him.

He used to walk unaided but now, yeah, I think that's him. 1 step from bat.shit.crazy.

To breathe, to feel, to know I'm alive.
Quote Reply
Re: Philly people - what's up with the pointing bike lady on the Bicyclist's Baltimore Pike?! [WelshinPhilly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When are we talking about? 2005?

-----------------------------Baron Von Speedypants
-----------------------------RunTraining articles here:
http://forum.slowtwitch.com/...runtraining;#1612485
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BarryP wrote:
When are we talking about? 2005?

The unicyclist? Yeah mid-2000's sounds about right.
Quote Reply
Re: Philly people - what's up with the pointing bike lady on the Bicyclist's Baltimore Pike?! [Bob Loblaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bob Loblaw wrote:
Don't know this one - but there's enough material for a "strange yet recognizable denizens of Philly who you'll see while training" thread.
This.

no sponsors | no races | nothing to see here
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Checkout Strava flyby's or the segment you were on when you passed her. If she uses it, she'll be there.

I'm guessing it's some kind of feminist anti-male protest about bicycle butt groping. Seriously, that was the only relevant google search of "weird philly bicycle lady". Some woman around Philly protesting guys groping girl's butts while they are out riding bikes.
Quote Reply
Re: Philly people - what's up with the pointing bike lady on the Bicyclist's Baltimore Pike?! [Fishbum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fishbum wrote:
It's Philly.. It's a FUCKED up place.

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe the BarryP run plan didn't work for her and she's letting you know.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
And then today, this time on the other side of Swarthmore, yet another stern point, for no reason.

Clearly she's trying to tell you that your seat is too high !

"I think I've cracked the code. double letters are cheaters except for perfect squares (a, d, i, p and y). So Leddy isn't a cheater... "
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Maybe it was Kiley trying out a new schtick? We haven't seen him around here in a wile, and we know he enjoyed the PubliusValerius persona so much.

I wrote this, you should read it:
https://www.slowtwitch.com/...n_Swimming_6700.html
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not Philly, but on my bike commute I regularly pass by an elderly Asian man who bikes on the wrong side, and gives everyone stern looks for riding on the wrong side.

He must t think we're all incredibly dumb and inconsiderate for all riding on the wrong side.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Also, as a result of you posting this thread I now need to go explore the Bicyclists' Baltimore Pike. I've noticed signs scattered around Delco (the one where the route crosses 420 in Morton comes to mind) but never looked into how it all connects.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Strange denizens of the SRT... Yep I pretty much see both the three-wheeler dude, and the crazy scruffy long walk guy every time I am out there.

My favorite though was the one time I was out on the SRT doing a long run, and I encountered a guy on a bike, wearing ski goggles, with a parrot on his shoulder. He had on a winter coat and hat despite it being about 65 degrees...
Quote Reply
Re: Philly people - what's up with the pointing bike lady on the Bicyclist's Baltimore Pike?! [g_lev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My favorite though was the one time I was out on the SRT doing a long run, and I encountered a guy on a bike, wearing ski goggles, with a parrot on his shoulder. He had on a winter coat and hat despite it being about 65 degrees...[/quote]===========================================================================
whoa----this now gets into a description of daily fare here in santa monica. parrots on shoulders of variously-dressed persons is pretty common. all in all, our city seems to function as a type of open air asylum.
peggy
Quote Reply
Re: Philly people - what's up with the pointing bike lady on the Bicyclist's Baltimore Pike?! [g_lev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
g_lev wrote:
Strange denizens of the SRT... Yep I pretty much see both the three-wheeler dude, and the crazy scruffy long walk guy every time I am out there.

My favorite though was the one time I was out on the SRT doing a long run, and I encountered a guy on a bike, wearing ski goggles, with a parrot on his shoulder. He had on a winter coat and hat despite it being about 65 degrees...

Not on the SRT but last week I was picking up my car from the shop and waiting out front I noticed a guy riding along the road on a bike wrapped in foil - frame, handlebars and spokes. He must have had some left over because he'd wrapped his hardhat in foil too. Really set off the hi-vis vest.

The mechanic who was pulling my car round just looked at me, shrugged and said "That's a lot of foil."
Quote Reply
Re: Philly people - what's up with the pointing bike lady on the Bicyclist's Baltimore Pike?! [trail] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've often wondered about this behavior in pedestrians and cyclists and I think some of this may be rooted in culture from home countries where they pass the opposite way we do?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My fav bit of Philly magic is this guy who rides his bike daily at Heinz preserve (great trails there for running). He lives in a motorhome, and rides a comfort bike and his helmet has a huge mohawk on it. But the best part: he has a beagle that keeps his hind legs on the top tube and his front paws on the handlebar, and the guys crushes it. He stomps on the pedals the entire ride and the dog has no support but keeps himself balanced on his own. Pretty awesome.

wovebike.com | Wove on instagram
Quote Reply

Prev Next