Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Philadelphia area fitter update
Quote | Reply
I’m looking for a bike fitter in the Philadelphia area. I actually live in Montgomery county so out my way would be ideal, but I’ll go to the city if I have to.

I already have a bike and have been told my fit is not very good. Actually it’s bad.

I’ve heard about elite cycles, then people have said they closed. Then fitters went to other shops. Some opened up shops.

I’m looking for up to date information. Has anyone had a recent fitting that they are very happy with?
Quote Reply
Re: Philadelphia area fitter update [jonp9576] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bob Burke from Guys Bicycles in Feasterville is excellant.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Respectfully there are no real bike fitters in Philly that will get you in a proper position. I am in Graduate Hospital and will fit you if you want. Output will be peer reviewed for quality by top fitters
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I don't think there's anyone in Montco. Keswick does some fitting but I haven't used them for that so do not know what it really entails. I had a good experiences with Breakaway Bikes, 1923 Chestnut st in the city.

"I think I've cracked the code. double letters are cheaters except for perfect squares (a, d, i, p and y). So Leddy isn't a cheater... "
Quote Reply
Re: Philadelphia area fitter update [Leddy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Leddy wrote:
I don't think there's anyone in Montco. Keswick does some fitting but I haven't used them for that so do not know what it really entails. I had a good experiences with Breakaway Bikes, 1923 Chestnut st in the city.

Not trying to be uppity but individuals fit athletes not bike shops. The only TT fitter I would touch there with a 10 foot pole was the former co-owner Joe Wentzell and he’s gone now.

It’s a flawed question to start the thread — we always ask other athletes if they got a good fit, when that’s not a person who is likely to know or he’d not need a fit. Instead of all these protocols and certs and whiz bang lasers, there should be a peer review system and a historical portfolio of output videos for any fitter to be taken seriously and trusted

This isn’t just a rant on the OP it’s a systemic and ongoing issue and you can see it on the race course where everyone looks like garbage on their bikes
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Marc Galietta with the Energy Lab in Doylestwon https://www.facebook.com/TheNaturalEnergyLab/
Quote Reply
Re: Philadelphia area fitter update [kileyay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kileyay wrote:
Leddy wrote:

Not trying to be uppity but individuals fit athletes not bike shops. The only TT fitter I would touch there with a 10 foot pole was the former co-owner Joe Wentzell and he’s gone now.

It’s a flawed question to start the thread — we always ask other athletes if they got a good fit, when that’s not a person who is likely to know or he’d not need a fit. Instead of all these protocols and certs and whiz bang lasers, there should be a peer review system and a historical portfolio of output videos for any fitter to be taken seriously and trusted

This isn’t just a rant on the OP it’s a systemic and ongoing issue and you can see it on the race course where everyone looks like garbage on their bikes
I didn’t know Joe was gone. That’s who I worked with.

Rant on, I know you have pretty strong feelings with regards to this stuff. I don’t mind reading them.

"I think I've cracked the code. double letters are cheaters except for perfect squares (a, d, i, p and y). So Leddy isn't a cheater... "
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just got done getting a pre-bike and post-bike fit with Marc Galietta at The Energy Lab in Doylestown. I _highly_ recommend going to Marc. He has a high-tech fit bike that he can control to dial your fit as you're pedaling. Also, he'll provide a PDF with all of your coordinates and a list of bikes that would fit your geometry regardless or whether he sells the bike or not.

Also, he does Ultramans.. can't beat that kind of resume.

Here's some pictures from the fitting and the new bike:
https://imgur.com/a/g5hJ9
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kileyay wrote:
Leddy wrote:
Instead of all these protocols and certs and whiz bang lasers, there should be a peer review system and a historical portfolio of output videos for any fitter to be taken seriously and trusted

this is a good point. Instagram and word of mouth are my biggest advertisers, not my lasers or fit bike... They're just expensive rulers.

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Re: Philadelphia area fitter update [millergirl_ct] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
millergirl_ct wrote:
Bob Burke from Guys Bicycles in Feasterville is excellant.

I would also recommend Bob from Guys Bicycles. In addition, Michael Ross is a sports medicine physician and the performance lab director at Rothman Institute. Michael does a very thorough job fitting cyclists/triathletes and tests how well the athlete is performing (power output) from different positions.
Quote Reply
Re: Philadelphia area fitter update [toastygloveman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
toastygloveman wrote:
In addition, Michael Ross is a sports medicine physician and the performance lab director at Rothman Institute. Michael does a very thorough job fitting cyclists/triathletes and tests how well the athlete is performing (power output) from different positions.

this is sort of silly... any good position that's markedly different will require adaptation, not to mention that all good fitters, not just the physiologist ones are doing this power comparison. In the end the 40 watts saved from an aero position will trump the 10 watts lost because they'll eventually get made up later from training.

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
knowing most of the names on this thread, i'd recommend either kileyay, or a virtual fitting with a few other STers that are expanding into that service.

----
@adamwfurlong
Quote Reply
Re: Philadelphia area fitter update [afurlong] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe make the drive to Acme in Brooklyn

Yellowfin Endurance Coaching and Bike Fits
USAT Level 1, USAC Level 3
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
kileyay wrote:
. Instead of all these protocols and certs and whiz bang lasers, there should be a peer review system and a historical portfolio of output videos for any fitter to be taken seriously and trusted

Videos are meaningless without data. Some people will never have a 'good looking' position, even when they are comfortable and their numbers stack up.
To have a peer review system you would need to have an agreed set of metrics captured in 3D, otherwise you can't judge the steps that were taken and the peer review has little more value than a 'critique my fit' thread here.

Setting some standards is one of the goals of the bike fitting forum that will be held in Germany in late July.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've been working with Max from Philadelphia Bikesmith for a few years and have had a great experience.
Quote Reply
Re: Philadelphia area fitter update [bulldog15] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
is that Max that was with Dave at Elite? if so, nice guy. amazing mechanic.
Quote Reply
Re: Philadelphia area fitter update [dsmallwood] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dsmallwood wrote:
is that Max that was with Dave at Elite? if so, nice guy. amazing mechanic.

Yes, I believe so.
Quote Reply
Re: Philadelphia area fitter update [dsmallwood] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Same guy! I have been going to him at Elite and now his own place for ages.
Quote Reply
Re: Philadelphia area fitter update [surfNJmatt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
surfNJmatt wrote:
Maybe make the drive to Acme in Brooklyn

Seconded
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another plug for Bob Burke from Guy's in Feasterville, Bucks County.
Quote Reply
Re: Philadelphia area fitter update [cyclenutnz] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cyclenutnz wrote:
Videos are meaningless without data. Some people will never have a 'good looking' position, even when they are comfortable and their numbers stack up.

brother, you know the high regard in which i hold you. i've been thinking about this post of yours in the week since you wrote it, and i'm going to gently push back a little.

i think if i put a half-dozen videos of fits done by a fitter in front of you, and maybe a dozen is a better number, you'd at some point begin to get a sense for how that fitter fits. for example, when we first got aerobars, in 1987, my sense of how to use them was: place the pads even in elevation with the saddle. this was the only way they made sense to me. gradually, tho, the urge to move forward overcame my prior view, and with that an urge to move the bars down. and to tighten the cockpit. this process took about a year to complete. within a year of getting the bars, we had the position established. then i set about designing a bike that accommodated that position. (voila.)

there are still plenty of fitters who fit pretty much like i fit myself and others in 1987. it's pretty evident by looking at the positions. i don't really need to see the data. i can see it with my eyes.

i'm not the only one. you, me, any of us here can see a cyclist riding down the street and without knowing his included knee angle know that he's probably riding with a saddle too high or low (if it's sufficiently too high or low).

therefore, we include in our fitters database a place for your portfolio. there is no data in those videos (if a youtube channel, for example, is where you house your portfolio.) i don't think it's unreasonable for a consumer to look at videos of the fits to see whether that fitter ascribes to a pads-high, saddle-back methodology, or whether the end results of his or her fits look relatively orthodox, or whether they routinely end up with a stretched cockpit and an obtuse shoulder angle, or what.

yes, nothing trumps the whole package: video + data + action items based on the data. but i don't agree that video alone is without its use as a consumer tool.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another vote for Max from Philadelphia Bikesmith
Quote Reply
Re: Philadelphia area fitter update [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
brother, you know the high regard in which i hold you. i've been thinking about this post of yours in the week since you wrote it, and i'm going to gently push back a little.

It has taken so long to get a bite that I'd forgotten I'd tried for one...

Slowman wrote:

therefore, we include in our fitters database a place for your portfolio. there is no data in those videos (if a youtube channel, for example, is where you house your portfolio.) i don't think it's unreasonable for a consumer to look at videos of the fits to see whether that fitter ascribes to a pads-high, saddle-back methodology, or whether the end results of his or her fits look relatively orthodox, or whether they routinely end up with a stretched cockpit and an obtuse shoulder angle, or what.

Certainly videos are useful in aggregate as a way of determining whether a fitter generally does good work.
I was talking about Kileys idea of peer review and judging the worth of a fitter on video without data. You can't peer review without data.
Even at the basic level - it's possible to set someone up in an entirely FIST approved position that is wrong for them. If you have before/after data about knee track and hip motion you can assess whether the final position is good for that rider or not.

Like anything - video is part of the tool kit, but risky to use in isolation. And I teach fitters that taking a moment to look at the rider is always worthwhile as fixating on data can lead one to ignore common sense (as can fixating on aesthetics)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
does anyone have suggestions for someone who could do a simple cleat positioning/biomechanical fit?

i don't need a full-on fitting, but I do need to make sure that my cleats are aligned properly, due to recurring issues with my left knee

I know Cadence offers it, and it appears that this is done by a local racer; anyone else out there who might offer this service?
Quote Reply
Re: Philadelphia area fitter update [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The local racer I assume you're referring to (Brady) is FIST certified, if that's what you want for a cleat adjustment. He did 2 fits for me this year.

In one, we removed shimming from my cleat that I'd been using to address an LLD and slid one of the cleats for/aft. It doesn't help that I hate those shoes (too narrow) but one foot feels like I'm just a bit toe in and I'm unsure I like the reduced stack height on the shorter leg. Wedge shims were added to both cleats and I have no opinion on them as they're super thin and these were new shoes that were not used prior to this fit.

I used these cleat stack and position changes to alter my other shoes myself, but I left 1 mm of what had been 5 of the shimming under the short leg and think I like this better. These shoes went with me when my 2nd bike was fit. He looked these shoes over and based on my saying I think I liked the 1 mm shimming we left that. No wedges were added (Specialized shoes, love the fit of these).

I like the feel of the specialized shoes and cleat setup better all around. Maybe I wouldn't feel toe in with my tri shoes if the toe box were wide enough, but I rotated the cleat a nudge and still feel toe in with the one shoe. (And I can't stand wearing them longer than 45 min due to narrowness, LG).

To breathe, to feel, to know I'm alive.
Quote Reply

Prev Next