Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Phelps - Bernard smackdown
Quote | Reply
Although not quite as exciting as the canoe contest between our own Master-Khai and DrTommy, Phelps said he is tempted to take Bernard over the 100m at the Worlds in Rome next year.

Bernard was interviewed in l'Equipe (which, despite the allegations made only on this forum, and only by a few individuals has never had anything but praise for Phelps) and here is a translation of part of it:

L'Equipe: for you, Phelps is a model, an extra-terrestrial, or just a rival?

AB - he is a great model and a rival, even though he is not a direct rival since we do not race the same races except the 4x100m. During each race, he shows us things we are not even able to fathom. He shows that, with incredible ease, how he can race over and over again, and shows incredible skills in all strokes. He brings a lot to the world of swimming and we need to use the emulation. He can come down to the 100m free, I'll be there. What is sure too is that I won't go race him in the 400m!
Quote Reply
Re: Phelps - Bernard smackdown [Francois] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Let it go, Francois.

-------------------------------------
Steve Perkins
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That'll actually be cool to see. I'd like to know what Phelps would be capable of if he focused on the 100 (which is arguably the most competitive event in swimming).

Swimming Workout of the Day:

Favourite Swim Sets:

2020 National Masters Champion - M50-54 - 50m Butterfly
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
""L'Equipe: for you, Phelps is a model, an extra-terrestrial, or just a rival?""

Interesting choice of words for L'Equipe...perhaps a bit of inference? Or is "extra-terrestrial" a product of the translation, Francois?
Quote Reply
Re: Phelps - Bernard smackdown [TriBriGuy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's the word used. An alien. Commonly used in French to indicate someone with abilities that are far superior to what we are used to. In no way does it suggest chemistry by the way...
It was used twice at these olympics...for Phelps and for Bolt. It has been used for several years for Federer and Woods...although for Federer, they've suggested many times this year that he's come back on Earth.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Nope l'Equipe used the word ET.

Fred.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Aw, c'mon... I heard plenty of "alien"-type references to Bolt, too... it's pretty standard freak-of-nature hyperbole anytime you see an athlete who's clearly gifted beyond even the "normal" tier of world-class.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think that would be awesome. Phelps is certainly not afraid of new challenges or to enter races where he's not the overwhelming favorite to win.

I would love to see him race the 100 free, the 200 back or maybe even the 400 free if he wants to try something new.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the clarification...

So then was the use of "ET" with regard to a certain cyclist initially in the same vein? I.E. far superior as opposed to chemically enhanced?
Quote Reply
Re: Phelps - Bernard smackdown [cidewar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
He suggested that he was also looking at the 50m
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd like to see them both race a shark. Shawn Crawford raced a giraffe, Jesse Owens raced dogs. Why not a shark? Or a seal, for safety's sake.
Quote Reply
Re: Phelps - Bernard smackdown [TriUno83] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"it's pretty standard freak-of-nature hyperbole"

Perhaps in your neck of the woods...I've been around these sports for a long time but the first time I'd specifically heard "extra terrestrial" was in reference to a particular cyclist...one who has since been positively implicated as a performance enhancing cheater. Same goes for most of the crowd I run with...after that particular episode...we've all come to understand "ET", when used with respect to athetes, as likely infering doping of some manner. If we need to be disabused of that, well....sure...no problem. In fact, that's my whole point of bringing it up... I'll wait for frenchie's answer, though...

Sorry to derail the thread a bit, too, Francois...

Back to swimming....50m too, you said? Hmmmmm...I'm thinking that may be a bridge too far for him...too many super studs with high arm turnover and blazing speed...not to mention the lack of turns...
Quote Reply
Re: Phelps - Bernard smackdown [one_lap] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Heck...a garden variety sunfish can outswim the fastest human...we're so desperately inefficient in the water....but yeah...maybe a shark for the excitement factor. Don't they do that every year at Alcatraz though? ;-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Perhaps Phelps is just looking for a new, harder challenge.. Personally I think he should move up, and do the 400 and 1500. He would most certainly set a WR in the 400, and dominate it, and he would have less competition in the 1500 than the 50 and 100. Perhaps he is just being lazy(ya right), but most likely it is because these races are the higher profile. The 400 and 1500 are the red headed step children of swimming, and the 50 and 100 are the Paris Hilton and Brittney Spears equilevant. Lots of media seems to surround the "fastest swimmer in the world". Since Phelps is already the best swimmer in the world, I guess he want's the title fastest too..What can you say about the 1500 guy, the fastest/slowest swimmer in the world?????
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
Heck...a garden variety sunfish can outswim the fastest human...we're so desperately inefficient in the water....but yeah...maybe a shark for the excitement factor. Don't they do that every year at Alcatraz though? ;-)
A sunfish? Heck, a *penguin* is three times as fast as Bernard.

----------------------------------
"Go yell at an M&M"
Quote Reply
Re: Phelps - Bernard smackdown [one_lap] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:
I'd like to see them both race a shark. Shawn Crawford raced a giraffe, Jesse Owens raced dogs. Why not a shark? Or a seal, for safety's sake.

'Cause it's just so hard to get them to swim straight up and down the lines, and for a seal, you have to have an extra guy handing out fish at the end of the lane.

Yanti Ardie of Y Tri Multisport & Majick Juice for lasting critter defense & skin soothing
~ World Open Water Swimming Association Coach & Official
~ IRONMAN Certified Coach (Founding Member)
~ Triathlon Australia Professional Development Coach
~ 3 by the Sea: my Journey from death to ...
Quote Reply
Re: Phelps - Bernard smackdown [TriAya] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ever been to SeaWorld? I'm pretty sure they could hook that up...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
i don't think he would make it out of the heats. he gets so much of his speed off the wall that without a turn he's screwed.
Quote Reply