Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Pete Jacobs totally fell apart
Quote | Reply
Nothing good to say about his performance as #1 world champ coming into the race.
He totally fell apart after 50 miles on bike. I have to give him the props for staying till the end.
My man Macca would have folded the tent and gone home.

Quote Reply
Re: Pete Jacobs totally fell apart [Me_XMan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm still trying to figure it out. I didn't have him in my top 3, but I would have thought that a world champion would have at least brought some sort of game to Kona. Especially talking as confidently as he did in his breakfast with bob and Paul interview. His performance was nowhere near where the reigning world champ should have been. My guess is 2012 will be the only Kona victory he will ever get. Obviously the weight of the crown is to much for him.
Quote Reply
Re: Pete Jacobs totally fell apart [Tri_Geek_40-44] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Tri_Geek_40-44 wrote:
My guess is 2012 will be the only Kona victory he will ever get. Obviously the weight of the crown is to much for him.

And we've successfully written off a guy that's put on some of the best Kona performances the past three years. Yup, he's done. Might as well retire...

How does Danny Hart sit down with balls that big?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For all we know he got the flu or some other random event, and we conclude "The weight of the crown is too much for him"?

Tri_Geek_40-44 wrote:
Obviously the weight of the crown is to much for him.

Kat Hunter reports on the San Dimas Stage Race from inside the GC winning team
Aeroweenie.com -Compendium of Aero Data and Knowledge
Freelance sports & outdoors writer Kathryn Hunter
Quote Reply
Re: Pete Jacobs totally fell apart [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
No, we are talking about a guy who progressed in Kona up until he won last year. Shows up this year for the most part suggesting SK is the only one in the field he's concerned with, stating he's even better than last year, then gets beat before they reach the turn around on the bike on one of the easiest Kona days in history.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah he's totally shite...

So how was your last IM time? ;)

Me.. he's a freaking legend.. like every athlete doing sub 10hrs... cos i can't...

We all have off days, feel great the day before and wake up out of sorts and never get it together.. only differemce is no-one calls you a failure when it happens to you.... (or maybe they do..)

Anyhow.. still a great race..

For me Rinnie was staggering (biased cos she's a local girl) .. but still...

All good shit...
Quote Reply
Re: Pete Jacobs totally fell apart [jackmott] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This guy has the Flu??

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jacobs had a rather dramatic implosion. That suggests something went really wrong.

Injury? Illness? Nutrition? Macca gave him the evil eye? Does anybody know yet?

Until we know what happened, I don't think you can go around accusing the guy of being a one-hit-wonder.
Quote Reply
Re: Pete Jacobs totally fell apart [BLeP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BLeP wrote:
Tri_Geek_40-44 wrote:
My guess is 2012 will be the only Kona victory he will ever get. Obviously the weight of the crown is to much for him.

And we've successfully written off a guy that's put on some of the best Kona performances the past three years. Yup, he's done. Might as well retire...

Amazing how you get these tough guys hiding behind their screen names and keyboards making these bold comments.
if youve got something you want to share Chuck at least post your real name in your Profile.

Terry

"You are never too old to set another goal or to dream a new dream" - Les Brown
"Discipline is the bridge between goals and accomplishment" - Jim Rohn
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It was a bizarre race so many (favourites) fell apart... Docherty, Bockel, Jacobs, Raelert etc. Think the uber-bikers wrecked the legs of many great athletes.
Last edited by: Andrew90: Oct 13, 13 16:16
Quote Reply
Re: Pete Jacobs totally fell apart [Andrew90] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maybe the somewhat windless day hurt the runners, but I thought windless days were suppose to play in to the runners favor?? Aren't the tough windy days what the uber bikers want?

120 people went under 9:30 last year.

250 went under 9:30 yesterday.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Anyone who thinks they have a right to critique PJ's performance is an armchair douchebag. Why don't you go ahead and critique Crowie too while you're at it? Obviously you have no respect for all the work these guys have put in, the chances they have taken with their lives to make a dream a reality. You probably sit in the comfort of a desk job every day where you can rely on your ego to make you feel okay with your lackluster performances by picking on the men and women who have really put it all on the line. I didn't see your name in the top 10, you're nobody by your own standards.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yep. But I think it was more the personnel, early on Jacobs had Starky out front and SK behind and felt the need to hammer it. Probably destroyed his legs as well as other 'runners' (Eneko, Crowie, Docherty etc) in the main pack. Then the bikers made huge time after the turn around such that 2 of the first 3 bikers in to transition got on the podium! No disrespect to LM, but I think different race dynamics and he would battled for the the top 10. That was my view on it anyway.
Quote Reply
Re: Pete Jacobs totally fell apart [beastneb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1) I don't sit at a desk. I am a neuromuscular massage therapist who works on professional athletes.
2) Crowie was very humble in his interview as usual.

3) I've never raced injured or sick and eluded that I'm in better shape than my previous race and that I'm only a little concerned with 1 athlete in particular.

When you elude that you're at the top of your game, then have a dismal race (by a world champs standards) you are opening yourself up to some criticism.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tri_Geek_40-44 wrote:
1) I don't sit at a desk. I am a neuromuscular massage therapist who works on professional athletes.
2) Crowie was very humble in his interview as usual.

3) I've never raced injured or sick and eluded that I'm in better shape than my previous race and that I'm only a little concerned with 1 athlete in particular.

When you elude that you're at the top of your game, then have a dismal race (by a world champs standards) you are opening yourself up to some criticism.

All I read above was I give happy endings for a living
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'm sure Jacobs would love to analyze your races too
Quote Reply
Re: Pete Jacobs totally fell apart [radelj44] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Ha! That would be the oriental massage parlors. I do not work at a spa or parlor. I work at a Chiropractors office and in the training room at Bank of America stadium. 😉
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Neuromuscular massage therapist.

I wish that made sense.
Quote Reply
Re: Pete Jacobs totally fell apart [Me_XMan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just once, I'd like to fall apart holding just under 24 mph and follow it up with a 3:30 marathon. If that ever happens, you have permission to flame me up and down.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Pete Jacobs totally fell apart [Nick_Barkley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I specialize in deep tissue neuromuscular massage. There isn't a pro triathlete that doesn't recieve this type of massage.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/...euromuscular_therapy
Quote Reply
Re: Pete Jacobs totally fell apart [beastneb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
beastneb wrote:
Anyone who thinks they have a right to critique PJ's performance is an armchair douchebag. Why don't you go ahead and critique Crowie too while you're at it? Obviously you have no respect for all the work these guys have put in, the chances they have taken with their lives to make a dream a reality. You probably sit in the comfort of a desk job every day where you can rely on your ego to make you feel okay with your lackluster performances by picking on the men and women who have really put it all on the line. I didn't see your name in the top 10, you're nobody by your own standards.

Ahhhh the classic "who are you to question this guys performance" defense. Love it!

You must have ever been online before.

Well, let me be the first to welcome you to the Internet. We often like to critique people and their performances here

Last edited by: Turd Ferguson: Oct 13, 13 17:26
Quote Reply
Re: Pete Jacobs totally fell apart [Nick_Barkley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That's why he works in a chiropractor's office. Makes as much sense as vertebral subluxation.

Probably a nice little earner though.

----------------------------------
http://ironvision.blogspot.com ; @drSteve1663
Quote Reply
Re: Pete Jacobs totally fell apart [drsteve] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I read that Pete Jacobs had injury issues 50k into the race, which the graphic in the original post tends to verify. Something to do with hips tightening up.
Quote Reply
Re: Pete Jacobs totally fell apart [Andrew90] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Andrew90 wrote:
It was a bizarre race so many (favourites) fell apart... Docherty, Bockel, Jacobs, Raelert etc. Think the uber-bikers wrecked the legs of many great athletes.

And yet if you look at the power files, it wasn't anything crazy, at least from an AVERAGE power standpoint. One thing I notice whenever I look at the power files of the guys in that front group is how high the VIs are. I don't think it's so much the pace. I think it's the surges. And with 27 guys in that front group this year, I think it was probably very surge-ey.

Bike position and equipment still counts for a lot. Not surprising that The podium was made of up guys with very good wheels, frames, & helmets and generally very good positions (FVL position is, ironically, the worst of the podium, but he makes up for it by running the stubby helmet, which is very likely better than if he chose a long tail helmet with his more upright position). Luke McKenzie's watts were not anything insane. In Kona? In the heat and humidity? Yes, it's impressive. But many of the guys who blew to pieces can hold similar power.

I also wonder to what extent the drafting effect mitigates cooling. We had a tailwind coming out of town, which already meant reduced airflow. Add in the reduced airflow from riding with 20+ guys in an environment that is already challenging and I wonder if that doesn't make the bike more taxing than it otherwise would be.

3.87w/kg - what Luke held - is not extraordinary. It's very good. But it should not be enough to blow guys to pieces. It's not enough - from a strict average standpoint - to say that guys were gonna drop like flies trying to match that pace.

With all the power files now being made public, I think it's more likely the tactics (surges, jockeying, etc), possibly the draft and reduced airflow (especially with a tailwind out of town, which is common), and possibly a hotter than normal swim this year that really blow guys to pieces. When you look at the average power, it's just not dramatic enough to explain the complete detonation of so many athletes.

"Non est ad astra mollis e terris via." - Seneca | rappstar.com | FB - Rappstar Racing | IG - @jordanrapp
Quote Reply
Re: Pete Jacobs totally fell apart [drsteve] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's Bush's fault.

Prev Next