Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Personal Training Camp
Quote | Reply
I have my first A race coming up early July - it's my first 1/2IM(Duathlon) and I'm thinking of taking a couple of holidays to add onto a long weekend(May 15-19) to make a week of solid training. Kinda my own personal training camp. This training week would be about 7 weeks out from race day.

I need advice as to how best to use my time. My bike leg is decent in that I expect to finish in under 3hr. My run sucks. I don't want to tell you how long over 2hrs I expect that to go. Should I do mostly long work or mostly AeT work, mostly running....or what? Does anyone have such a week laid out for themselves?

Suggestions please.

put the mettle to the pedal
Quote Reply
Re: Personal Training Camp [brettc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you are biking under 3 and running over 2, then you have a serious limiter in running. I doubt that an epic week would help on the running much. You just can't pile on too much mileage running like you can cycling. My assumption is that you are lacking a good running base. If I were in this situation, I would increase weekly running mileage while holding everything else where it is.

Consider something like
  • 2:00 - 2:15 LSD, aim for a max of 15 miles but keep it slow
  • 1 hr tempo run: 20' warmup, 20' cooldown and 40' tempo
  • 1:00 - 1:30 steady pace running in HR zones 1 & 2 only.
  • 1:00 near (but not as fast as) 1/2 marathon race pace as part of a 4:00-4:30 total brick.

This should get you into the low to mid 30 miles per week if you are going over 2 hours for 13 miles. Your goal should be to just put up some big but safe and sustainable and slow running mileage week after week until you *want* to do the tempo runs because your schedule is just getting too easy.

Don't jump straight into a 40' tempo if you are not ready for it. Maybe do several 4 or 6' tempo intervals with 2' rest to start with (maybe at 10k pace), then gradually increase the interval time and decrease the number of intervals. If the tempo run is just too hard drop it and do another 1hr steady pace run.
Quote Reply
Re: Personal Training Camp [tom] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sounds like you have given some very solid advice - thanks tom. One question - what HR zone am I looking for when I do my tempo work? Currently I can hold the top end of zone 2 for that long.
  • 2:00 - 2:15 LSD, aim for a max of 15 miles but keep it slow - slow is no problem ;)
  • 1 hr tempo run: 20' warmup, 20' cooldown and 40' tempo - tempo is which HR zone?
  • 1:00 - 1:30 steady pace running in HR zones 1 & 2 only. - normal weekend run is upto 2:15hrs.
  • 1:00 near (but not as fast as) 1/2 marathon race pace as part of a 4:00-4:30 total brick. - I still need some work here.

put the mettle to the pedal
Quote Reply
Re: Personal Training Camp [brettc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would keep the tempo intervals in zone 3 until you are running the 1/2 marathon in 1:45 or under. If you can run a single 40' tempo interval solidly in zone 3 with a good long warmup and cooldown, and keep your HR completely under your control, then you should be ready for a good 1/2 IM run. I like to keep the warmup in zone 1 or low zone 2. The cooldown is usually in zone 2 due to the stress and body temp. of the workout. I'm firmly convinced that you can benefit from using the cooldown time to work on efficiency. Watch your HR closely, try to maintain a medium speed and play around to get the HR as low as possible. It will be an important skill when you are tired and hot during the race.

Once you have acheived 1:45 or less, then you can try a different type of speed session in which you are hitting some zone 4.
Quote Reply