Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Peroneal tendon stuck feeling but no visible subluxation
Quote | Reply
I developed some peroneal tendon pain or ankle pain recently I think it was from trying to pull off a boot too aggressively which was stupid but seemed to injure my ankle a bit. There isn't swelling but I feel an occasional stuck feeling on the side of my ankle near the ankle bone right below the fibula and maybe in front of it a bit. On a diagram it seems to be where the retinaculum is located.

I went to a doctor and got an ultrasound which showed the retinaculum is stretched but not torn and that the peroneal tendons are slightly inflamed but the doctor didn't have an explanation for the stuck feeling or occasional click after I'm standing too long.

There isn't any pain to bear weight or walk but after standing for a while when I circle my foot or dorsiflex and plantar flex the foot up and down I feel some sort of snapping feeling like the peroneal tendons are trying to move past something but got stuck. After a while the feeling fades and I can move the foot up and down and circle it without pain again. Visibly the tendons seem to stay behind the ankle bone no matter how I move the foot.

Is that stuck popping feeling caused by the peroneal tendons being swollen which makes them rub against the other tissues more or is this something more serious like intrasheath subluxation?
Quote Reply
Re: Peroneal tendon stuck feeling but no visible subluxation [caligirl24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
caligirl24 wrote:
I developed some peroneal tendon pain or ankle pain recently I think it was from trying to pull off a boot too aggressively which was stupid but seemed to injure my ankle a bit. There isn't swelling but I feel an occasional stuck feeling on the side of my ankle near the ankle bone right below the fibula and maybe in front of it a bit. On a diagram it seems to be where the retinaculum is located.

I went to a doctor and got an ultrasound which showed the retinaculum is stretched but not torn and that the peroneal tendons are slightly inflamed but the doctor didn't have an explanation for the stuck feeling or occasional click after I'm standing too long.

There isn't any pain to bear weight or walk but after standing for a while when I circle my foot or dorsiflex and plantar flex the foot up and down I feel some sort of snapping feeling like the peroneal tendons are trying to move past something but got stuck. After a while the feeling fades and I can move the foot up and down and circle it without pain again. Visibly the tendons seem to stay behind the ankle bone no matter how I move the foot.

Is that stuck popping feeling caused by the peroneal tendons being swollen which makes them rub against the other tissues more or is this something more serious like intrasheath subluxation?

If they feel "stuck" and you are having the clicking noise, I would definitely be concerned about subluxation of the peroneal tendons. Thing is, if its not causing pain nor interfering with your daily activities, I'm not sure what the doc would advise. Maybe there is a concern about it eventually causing tendon damage (and thus pain), or fibrosis at the sheath? I don't know. If its bothering you then I'd see a podiatrist or ortho foot and ankle surgeon for evaluation
Quote Reply