Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Peroneal tendinitis recovery time?
Quote | Reply
training for my first marathon was going very well building up to 50k per week with regular stretching/ foam rollering. However I injured my perineal tendon 1.5miles into the race and had to abandon.

Since then I cannot run more than 10 mins with out the injury flaring up again despite going to a physio and hiting the weights room a couple of days a week.

I had heard this injury can take a year to heal☹ï¸

Anyone else had this?
Last edited by: SIMONI: Nov 10, 18 12:44
Quote Reply
Re: Perineal tendinitis recovery time? [SIMONI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is the tendon that wraps under your foot up the calf, right? I had this. I was able to run through it with thrice weekly physio appointments, some ice/heat alternating (bucket of ice water, bucket of hot water), and especially I got some voltaren gel that was probably the biggest factor.

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Re: Perineal tendinitis recovery time? [ericlambi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericlambi wrote:
This is the tendon that wraps under your foot up the calf, right? I had this. I was able to run through it with thrice weekly physio appointments, some ice/heat alternating (bucket of ice water, bucket of hot water), and especially I got some voltaren gel that was probably the biggest factor.

Thanks for replying
Its the one that runs along outside of the foot and up the calf, the pain is between the small toe and heal .

To be fair I haven’t iced for a couple of weeks or used a gel.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sure, yes, that’s what I had. In my case the pain while running was on the side of my foot, but the area that needed treatment was on my lower calf around 5 o’clock if the front of your shin is 12. There was a crazy sore spot in there somewhere. The physio appointments focused a lot on that and also where I applied the bulk of the gel. Seriously find a way to get the gel.

Dimond Bikes Superfan
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I experienced perineal tendon inflammation during a run which resulted in the tendon swelling visibly as it passes underneath and around the outer ankle bone. I had the same experience as you...could not run subsequent to that, regardless of rest, treatment etc without it flaring up. This was late January. I was signed up for the Hawaii 70.3 which was during the first week of June. To make a long story short...nothing worked through to April. At that point, my doctor suggested a small injection of cortisone but I did not want it directly into the tendon. He used a very small amount and injected it in the swollen area and it worked. The tendon swelling went down, I was able to start running about a week later. And I did the race without issue, nor have I had an issue since, some 4 years later. Good luck with it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd like to point out that peroneal region is NOT the same as perineal region.
Quote Reply
Re: Perineal tendinitis recovery time? [derailleur'd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wanted to be the one pointing that out. I'm sad now.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ericlambi wrote:
Sure, yes, that’s what I had. In my case the pain while running was on the side of my foot, but the area that needed treatment was on my lower calf around 5 o’clock if the front of your shin is 12. There was a crazy sore spot in there somewhere. The physio appointments focused a lot on that and also where I applied the bulk of the gel. Seriously find a way to get the gel.

I got the voltaren gel - it’s main ingredient is diclofenac which is a lot stronger than ibroprophen
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My peroneus brevis tendon required surgery to heal but the underlying circumstance was a hypertrophic peroneal tubercle. Although one would never know just by looking at them but the xrays show that both my ankle bones are abnormally large and the tendons don't have enough room so there's a lot of friction, inflammation and fraying.

I had surgery to repair the symptomatic one (left) it in late July of 2018.

FWIW, Voltaren did nothing for my ankle... the only time I got relief was when they did an ultrasound and injected the area with a short-acting anesthetic to see if the surgery he wanted to perform would be successful.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had this injury this year after Lake Placid 70.3 this year. I could not complete the run two weeks later at AC 70.3, the pain was excruciating... I stopped running completely for two and a half weeks, but continued to cycle gently. Then started building up running volume from scratch.

Also, based on what my podiatrist had told me about the injury and why I personally might have been susceptible to it, I decided to change my gait slightly. Message me if you want to hear more about this, but basically I was not using my big toe for balance and stressing other muscles/tendons instead, so I "corrected" that. Also added some additional stretching and mobility exercises to my foam rolling regiment.

I haven't had any issues since then, sometimes a sensation in the outer foot, but nothing I would consider pain. Back up to 18 miles a week after about 3/4 weeks. Fingers crossed that it's fixed, because it was awful. I hope this helps.
Last edited by: toastygloveman: Nov 12, 18 12:19
Quote Reply
Re: Peroneal tendinitis recovery time? [SIMONI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I didn't run for two weeks, tried running, no good.

Gave it another two weeks, tried running, no good.

Gave it eight weeks, tried running, almost 100% fixed.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SIMONI wrote:
training for my first marathon was going very well building up to 50k per week with regular stretching/ foam rollering. However I injured my perineal tendon 1.5miles into the race and had to abandon.

Since then I cannot run more than 10 mins with out the injury flaring up again despite going to a physio and hiting the weights room a couple of days a week.

Anyone else had this?

You heard right...18 months in my case.

Larry Lahodny
Owner, Gizmo Socks
Henderson, NV
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SIMONI wrote:

Anyone else had this?

Tendinopathies are very slow if you just leave them be - can be nagging for years and years. However they are very treatable and even though treatment can take time it's very simple when you understand tendons somewhat. Check out my answer in the achilles tendinosis thread

SIMONI wrote:
ericlambi wrote:

I got the voltaren gel - it’s main ingredient is diclofenac which is a lot stronger than ibroprophen

Ibuprofen is better than diclofenac for tendon pain - ibuprofen reduces water content in tendons which likely decreases compression from tendon sheaths and other structures (lateral malleolus in your case). Get a gel and tablets, take as prescribed.

One does never need to be rubbed, poked, needled when one has tendinopathies. It's improper treatment and shows that whoever does this does not understand what to really do.

Endurance coach | Physiotherapist (primary care) | Bikefitter | Swede
Quote Reply
Re: Perineal tendinitis recovery time? [mortysct] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Is there an actual ibuprofen cream? I cannot find it. Having peroneal pain and was going to get some voltaren.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had it for a short time. My PT is awesome and has helped me for years now who put a wedge in my shoe to take the pressure off the PT. He never restricted me from running and with the wedge never had any pain. Obviously you have to find the root cause and correct it. Had to do some pt exercises to train my foot to “work correctly†again. Mine was caused by new shoes

Team Zoot
Quote Reply