Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Peloton vs Technogym treadmills
Quote | Reply
Peloton Tread vs Technogym MyRun to be specific. Who here has tried them? And what do they feel like?
Last edited by: Herbert: Nov 3, 18 17:44
Quote Reply
Re: Peloton vs Technogym treadmills [Herbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have tried the Technogym treadmill. It is a very nice treadmill. If I had 12 grand I would pick one up. It felt to be built really well for a treadmill. I do a lot of running on the treadmill and they just don’t hold up.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What happened with your woodway? I thought you got it totally overhauled?
Quote Reply
Re: Peloton vs Technogym treadmills [danstu4] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The Technogym MyRun is $4000. What is your current treadmill you are using?
Quote Reply
Re: Peloton vs Technogym treadmills [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It had constant issues, I had them take it back
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The version danstu4 used is probably one of the Technogym Skillruns- a lot of Lifetime Fitness gyms have them now. They look like a woodway with the rubber slat surface.

The MyRun seems to be a bit of a unicorn. I was on the phone the other day with Technogym because I want to buy one, but don’t want to drop the money without being able to actually see one first and there are virtually no in depth English language reviews on the thing. The sales rep told me the nearest showroom is in NYC if you want to try one...

Re: Peloton vs Technogym treadmills [IKnowEverything] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We purchased four Technogym MyRun treadmills and all of them have repeatedly failed with the machines freezing and unable to restart and technicians unable to repair. We were attracted by the Gym Quality Small Platform of the MyRun Treadmills but we were disappointed by their performance and Technogym inability to fix the machines. We are returning all four machines
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Herbert wrote:
It had constant issues, I had them take it back
Have you written about it and/or updated the article? Should be an interesting read.
Quote Reply
Re: Peloton vs Technogym treadmills [Thorax] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My situation was unique I believe. Basically I had a black sheep. It made loud noises that could not be figured out and the belt was not properly aligned.

I have run on many other Woodways and none had those issues. In fact their owners all love them
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
the problem I see with the peloton is that the tablet is only compatible with peloton programs and videos. you cant watch tv, or youtube. you cant create a google earth route. its does have scenic routes but they are not synced with the incline. the incline and speed dials seem useful and it seems well built. just no functionality from the enormous tablet outside of peloton programs.
Quote Reply
Re: Peloton vs Technogym treadmills [sooners175] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I ended up buying a 3 year old Precor TRM 835 v2 that has fewer than 1,600 hours.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
well I have a piece of shit NordicTrack, so i'd take either of them.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sooners175 wrote:
the problem I see with the peloton is that the tablet is only compatible with peloton programs and videos. you cant watch tv, or youtube. you cant create a google earth route. its does have scenic routes but they are not synced with the incline. the incline and speed dials seem useful and it seems well built. just no functionality from the enormous tablet outside of peloton programs.

I did a short run (15 minutes) on a peloton treadmill, so very initial impressions.
The treadmill feels very much like a woodway, its sturdy and does not have that micro-break feeling that you get with a belt treadmill when you lend. I really did not like the circular knobs to control speed/incline, I imagine it would be a total nightmare doing intervals with it (but again, I only did a short run, so maybe I'm wrong on that).
Also agree about the useless huge screen. It would work great for my wife that is an avid peloton user, for doing their guided sessions. But it is not designed well for just running. I imagine it would have been super easy to add an HDMI input so it can be used as a TV, but I don't think that fits the peloton business model. We are just not the target audience I'm afraid
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
this is nit-picky, maybe.

If you run at a constant speed on a treadmill for 6 minutes you will travel your speed divided by 10 (I will state obvious: 6 minutes = 1/10 of an hour).

So 7.1 for 6 minutes = .71 miles. Yet every Technogym treadmill I have run on calculates short. sometimes you seem to lose 2-3 seconds every 6 minutes so over the course of a longer run it kind of adds up.

Related to that problem:
6.0 = 6 seconds per .01 miles
7.2 = 5 seconds per .01 miles
9.0 = 4 seconds per .01 miles

These are constants and should just click by. But it doesn't workout that way.

I don't know what the explanation for this not working could be, but it seems like some basic engineering.

Lastly some general advice: If you buy a used treadmill buy from someone OVER-weight, not someone in shape.
Quote Reply
Re: Peloton vs Technogym treadmills [ajthomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
One thing I've noticed on the few peloton bike rides I've done at the local gym is that, even though I'm in winter shape, the speeds it shows I'm riding at are higher than my tri splits in the summer. I'm not sure how they calibrate bike speed for their device.

Fast-Finishes.com
Triathlon and Running Race Timing
Athletic Event Management
Quote Reply
Re: Peloton vs Technogym treadmills [GaryVI] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GaryVI wrote:
We purchased four Technogym MyRun treadmills and all of them have repeatedly failed with the machines freezing and unable to restart and technicians unable to repair. We were attracted by the Gym Quality Small Platform of the MyRun Treadmills but we were disappointed by their performance and Technogym inability to fix the machines. We are returning all four machines

X2. The Technogym equipment I’ve seen at Life Time (as an employee) was perpetually lacking in quality. It’s sexy looking, but never worked well. Frankly, it’s the commercial brand I disliked most because it worked the least.

Avoid.

DFL > DNF > DNS
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was thinking of a NordicTrack so I'm curious as to why you don't like it?

Lower end model as I was looking at the newish 2950?
Quote Reply
Re: Peloton vs Technogym treadmills [dale3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dale3 wrote:
I was thinking of a NordicTrack so I'm curious as to why you don't like it?

Lower end model as I was looking at the newish 2950?[/quote

its basically a design flaw. the functionality of iFit is actually really good. I have one of the incline trianers (x9i). the incline motor is directly under foot, therefore when you raise the incline, there is nothing to support the front of the deck. so, as you progress through a run at a set incline, you have to continually raise the incline to keep the deck level because it steadily bleeds off.

customer service is great, but I have replaced the incline motor 4 times. basically when I get tired of it, I call them and they send me a new motor. the commercial series is the way to go. 2950 in your case. I wish I would have gone that route but my wife wanted the incline model for walking...….. shes walked on it twice.

short answer, I would definitely recommend the commercial series for running. the incline series is designed for walking.

hope this helps
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Herbert wrote:
Peloton Tread vs Technogym MyRun to be specific. Who here has tried them? And what do they feel like?

Peloton at its heart is a marketing company and stepping up to a $4k treadmill (versus a spin type bike) will bring it, I predict, lots of problems (install issues, warranty issues, etc)
Quote Reply
Re: Peloton vs Technogym treadmills [DoronG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DoronG wrote:

I did a short run (15 minutes) on a peloton treadmill, so very initial impressions.
The treadmill feels very much like a woodway, its sturdy and does not have that micro-break feeling that you get with a belt treadmill when you lend.

Does “micro-break” mean you feel the belt momentarily stop or slow each time your foot lands on the belt? Have you felt that with every traditional belt treadmill you’ve tried, including commercial ones?

Matrix states that their residential treadmills (e.g., T30/T50/T75) have “a responsive continuous-duty drive system that recalibrates with each footfall”. What that means is unclear to me, but I’m wondering if it’s intended to avoid the problem you described, since I saw a review claim that recalibration occurs hundreds of times per second. Have you ever tried any of those Matrix treadmills?

Have you tried any other slat treadmills aside from the Peloton and Woodway, and if so, did they all have no “micro-breaks” and feel similar in other ways also? Based on all the treadmills you've tried so far, do you prefer the running feel of all the slat models to all the traditional belt models?
Quote Reply
Re: Peloton vs Technogym treadmills [twitchspeed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just one minor point of clarification for future-peoples... when this thread started (Dec 2018) - there was only one Peloton treadmill, the 'Peloton Tread', which was slate-based and introduced in Jan 2018.

But since then, they actually introduced a secondary unit (Sept 2020), and re-branded the slat-based one as the Peloton Tread+. With the new one (normal belt-based) being the Peloton Tread. Thus, all the discussion in this thread is actually about the Tread+, slat-based one.

(I only arrived at this thread assuming it was talking about the belt-based Peloton Tread vs belt-based Technogym Run, and then realized it was talking about neither...thus, I'm leaving now.)

-
My tiny little slice of the internets: dcrainmaker.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I much prefer a slat based treadmill as it is feels as close to running on the road as it gets. It is less forgiving though as they are much sturdier and don't move every time you foot strike so it takes some time to get used.

blog
Quote Reply
Re: Peloton vs Technogym treadmills [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:
I much prefer a slat based treadmill as it is feels as close to running on the road as it gets. It is less forgiving though as they are much sturdier and don't move every time you foot strike so it takes some time to get used.

I assume “road” means asphalt. Which kind(s) of slat treadmills have you used, and if it was more than one kind, have you noticed differences in the running experience?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
twitchspeed wrote:
stevej wrote:

I assume “road” means asphalt. Which kind(s) of slat treadmills have you used, and if it was more than one kind, have you noticed differences in the running experience?

Yes asphalt. But I would say running on a slat treadmill is more like running on a track than anything else.

I have a woodway desmo. I ran on a peloton slatted one in their store just before they were recalled. It was similar to running on a woodway but I would give the nudge to Woodway. Can’t really explain it but the woodways just seemed nicer. I’ve ran on several 4fronts over the years (I have a few at my work) and I’ve always had a smile on my face when running on one.

I never ran on a techno gym one but did want to try it. I remember reading that there have been maintenance and support issues with them. Can’t remember where I read that…. It might have been on here actually in another thread.

blog
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can’t say I tried them both. Went with the techno gym and love it. Replaced an old woodway that had served its time well.
Quote Reply