Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Pedals... again
Quote | Reply
Crap. Crap. Crap. And crap. Arrrgghhhh!!!!!!

I hate dealing with the pedal question. But I'm getting a new bike and it's come up again for me. I'd like to hear some opinions. First off, let me say that I'm firmly in the Look-style camp, so please, do not suggest Speedplays, SPDs, Bebops, or Egg-Beaters to me in this thread.

As I see it, there are really three styles of Look-like pedals that I'm considering:
  • Anything by Look (I'm specifically looking at the 5.1)
  • The new Shimano 7750 Dura Ace pedals
  • Time Impact Pedals

I've currently got Looks on my bikes, and I only have two complaints. 1, the cleats wear out way too quick. 2, the pedal/cleat interface is way too prone to annoying squeaks.

Do I have anything to gain by going with either Shimano or Time? The biggest drawback I see is that my shoes won't be compatible with all of my bikes. But if I'll like these other pedals, it'll be worth it for me. Any opinions??
Quote Reply
Re: Pedals... again [Pooks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have the same challenge, and I've narrowed it to the same two choices. I'm almost tempted to get one of each, but then that would be silly.

As I see it, it really depends on what you prefer. Anyone who has been riding Time pedals should definitely go with the new Times, and (IMHO) those partial to Looks (except for the insufferable cleat wear and squeak,,,) will probably find that the new Shimanos feel quite familiar.

As a Look man for many years, I think Shimano is my likely choice, although I've spoken to quite a few people who riide each one, and both come highly recommended. So it seems like you can't go wrong.

Excepting that if you wait a year, I bet Look will have a new design as well, and THEN won't you be sorry...

Cousin Elwood - Team Over-the-hill Racing
Brought to you by the good folks at Metamucil and Geritol...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
pooks... aftetr 6 hours of squeaking, i canned my look 357s last week. i went for the ultegra version of the new SPD-SLs, they're the PD-R600. i don't have a lot of miles on them, but a few things are VERY noticeable:

1) silence... yes, that's right. nothing can be heard except traffic, heavy breathing, and an occassional gear shift. very nice.

2) grip... the cleats actually provide a tad bit of traction when walking in your shoes.

3) stability... maybe a slight sacrifice in this department, but not enough to make me concerned. i feel a little left-to-right flexibility that i don't think i felt with the looks. i can't be sure of this because, honestly, because i never paid particular attention to this issue with my looks.

so far so good. and fwiw, the ultegras are about 1/2 the price of the dura-ace version, and only 23 grams heavier. even though my bike is dura-ace outfitted, i couldn't justify the price for that small of a weight disparity.

good luck and be sure to post your final decision and feedback. just say no to squeaky cleats!
Last edited by: golferboy: Aug 16, 03 20:58
Quote Reply
Re: Pedals... again [golferboy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I would stick with the 7750 instead of the ultegra version. Since a friend of mine with the 600 version have had some problems with the pedal. Two small screws in the pedal have actually come lose during a ride, which resulted in unsuable pedal.

Dave

Ps, I have the 7750 and I'm very satisfied with the pedal, especially compared with the horrible spd-r's, Ds

Quote | Reply
I recently switched from Look to Time Impact Mag and I have no complaints what so ever.

The Time pedals are very good.
Easy to step into (looks like they would be tricky but they are not!), silent, the foot is kept very still in the pedal (my feet moved a lot more with look pedals, especially when the cleats were old), simple and strong construction and I think that the cleats will take very long to wear out.

Go with Time!
/Andreas
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thank you all for the feedback. I just pulled the trigger and bought a pair of the Shimanos. I really like the simplicty of the pedals. If these don't work out for me, then I'll probably give the Times a shot the next time around.

For what it's worth, I always buy my pedals off Ebay. This is one component that's consistently much cheaper on that site. I just ordered a pair of the Dura-Ace Shimanos via "Buy It Now" for $140. There are still a bunch available for anyone who's interested. (the guy was selling 6 pair and there were other listings too.)

Thanks again,

Dave
Quote Reply