Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Pearl Izumi Short replacement - Suggestions?
Quote | Reply
I am mourning the death of my old Pearl Izumi shorts. They lived a good long life, but now it is time to replace them. These were the "old" Pro style with the three piece press molded chamois. the Pearl Izumi "new" style Pro chamois is giving me chafing where the old style did not. I've done some searching, but none of the previous posts here on slowtwitch really seemed to compare the brands/chamois to each other. Here is what I know so far.
Pearl Izumi - new Pro short: A fight to get up, and chamois center is wider. Chaffing on the interior of thighs.
Louis Garneau - CB short feels and fits like the Pearl Izumi, but without the fight to get on. Chamois a bit too wide.
Castelli - Great feeling fit except the leg grippers which literally cut off circulation. Chamois narrower so didn't rub.

Does anyone here know of a short that has the fit of the Louis Garneau with the narrow Castelli "like" chamaois?

I am trying to avoid buying and returning every short out there to find one that fits. So anything to narrow the field of candidates would be great.
I am 6", 183lbs, 33" waist, 40" hip, 24" thigh
Quote Reply
Re: Pearl Izumi Short replacement - Suggestions? [Ctherks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hit me with a PM if you'd like to discuss offline.

Can I ask a few questions:
1. Which PI chamois do you have? If you can find the short model number on the tag inside or send a picture I can have a better reference.
2. When you say "Fight to get up" can you elaborate more?
3. Same for the "Too Wide"?
4. What size are you wearing in each?

I talk a lot - Give it a listen: http://www.fasttalklabs.com/category/fast-talk
I also give Training Advice via http://www.ForeverEndurance.com

The above poster has eschewed traditional employment and is currently undertaking the ill-conceived task of launching his own hardgoods company. Statements are not made on behalf of nor reflective of anything in any manner... unless they're good, then they count.
http://www.AGNCYINNOVATION.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for posting this, I too am interested.

I have some older PI shorts and they have the old green chamois I prefer most but they won't last thru this year.
These medium size ones fit me best (snug but not too tight, a little hard to pull up but worth it) and I prefer them for MTB rides.

I have some slightly newer medium PI that were not the top priced model that have a puffy Orange pad but seem sized larger that are fair.
Could me the basic 60-80 dollar model from 3 years ago. The pad is almost too puffy.

I have 2 pair of some newer PI shorts that were the higher priced that have a slimmer Orange pad but seem to be almost too loose in the same size.
They also have a higher back end and seem longer down the thigh which I guess is a style thing to match the high socks which I don't prefer either.
I do like the thinner pad on these and the short material is really nice. I think they may be the pro model from 2 years ago.

Whenever I order a new pair of Medium size they seem to fit different and have a larger bottom, higher back and longer.
Perhaps they can go to 2 lengths. I may order 1 pair of the new "pro version" ($$$) and see how they fit.

Rob
Quote Reply
Re: Pearl Izumi Short replacement - Suggestions? [xtrpickels] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks xtrpickels,
I'll answer here, but will hit you with a PM for the discussion.
1) it is the PRO Escape 1:1 Chamois. Rough measurement is ~2" across at the rub point and "solid." The old PRO short was split and only 1.375" wide at this point.
2) The grippers on the legs have be doing squats, leg lifts, etc., and running my finger around the leg grippers to bring them up to where they should be without coming up too high. This is also a matter of trying to get the shorts to the most comfortable position possible to minimize chaffing. If the chamois didn't chafe it likely wouldn't take so much "fighting/fiddling."
3) See measurement in 1). The chamois appears solid across and is .625" wider than the PI shorts I loved.
4) In PI looking at the sizing charts it appeared I should be "Med". In Castelli "Large." In Garnaeu "Med."

Last edited by: Ctherks: May 14, 20 10:08
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
CB Neo Power Short Chamois.
2.5" wide (thin padding), 2" wide (thicker padding), Partially split.
These feel like the PI Pro Shorts standing on the ground. Cannot ride with them because I am not keeping them, so I don't know if they chafe more/less than the PI Pro Shorts.
No leg grippers to speak of, so nothing to "fight" with pulling them up. I don't know if they ride up though without them.

Last edited by: Ctherks: May 14, 20 11:21
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ctherks wrote:

I am trying to avoid buying and returning every short out there to find one that fits. So anything to narrow the field of candidates would be great.

DeSoto Mobius 4 pocket

https://www.amazon.com/...8&psc=1&th=1

I’m similar to your size and have them in L. Highly recommended. The 4 pockets are great for gels. I had the Riviera shorts first and liked them too.

https://www.strava.com/...tes/zachary_mckinney
Quote Reply
Re: Pearl Izumi Short replacement - Suggestions? [plant_based] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks Plant_based. Do you happen to have a pic and measurement of the chamois at the "narrow" bit between the thighs for comparison?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ctherks wrote:
I am mourning the death of my old Pearl Izumi shorts. They lived a good long life, but now it is time to replace them. These were the "old" Pro style with the three piece press molded chamois. the Pearl Izumi "new" style Pro chamois is giving me chafing where the old style did not. I've done some searching, but none of the previous posts here on slowtwitch really seemed to compare the brands/chamois to each other. Here is what I know so far.
Pearl Izumi - new Pro short: A fight to get up, and chamois center is wider. Chaffing on the interior of thighs.
Louis Garneau - CB short feels and fits like the Pearl Izumi, but without the fight to get on. Chamois a bit too wide.
Castelli - Great feeling fit except the leg grippers which literally cut off circulation. Chamois narrower so didn't rub.

Does anyone here know of a short that has the fit of the Louis Garneau with the narrow Castelli "like" chamaois?

Interestingly I'd put you in a large in PEARL iZUMi and this is our fault.
Based on your waist, weight, and height I can understand the medium choice. Waist is in line with Medium, Height is Large, Weight is in Between.
However, given you thigh size, you're decidedly into size Large. I think that explains the gripper issue, but I am unsure if it explains the chamois issue.

I'll follow up offline.

I talk a lot - Give it a listen: http://www.fasttalklabs.com/category/fast-talk
I also give Training Advice via http://www.ForeverEndurance.com

The above poster has eschewed traditional employment and is currently undertaking the ill-conceived task of launching his own hardgoods company. Statements are not made on behalf of nor reflective of anything in any manner... unless they're good, then they count.
http://www.AGNCYINNOVATION.com
Quote Reply
Re: Pearl Izumi Short replacement - Suggestions? [xtrpickels] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hello all - As an update, I received some better guidance that I am definitely a Large in Pearl Izumi. I now have a large set of Pro Bib Shorts, I have done a handful of rides and I can report the following.
1) They are easier to get into than the mediums (duh) but not as easy as the older style even in medium
2) Having the proper size these shorts seem to fall into place on me faster (again, duh)
3) Most, 80-90%, of the chafing I was experiencing seems to be gone
4) The shoulder pressure that made bib shorts unpleasant is barely noticeable with the size Large (again, duh I guess)

While acquiring the Pearl Izumi bib shorts, a sale came up on Assos Cento Evo and I bit the bullet. In size large these are really easy to get on, they have less aggressive leg grippers and the compression seems a bit less. The Assos also seem to have more shoulder pressure.

Since I'm decently happy with the Pearl Izumi, I haven't decided on keeping the Assos... but if I do, I'll try to post up the comparison.
Thanks everyone.
Quote Reply