Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Pearl Izumi Running Shoes.
Quote | Reply
Has anyone seen the new Pearl Izumi running shoes? I was skeptical at first, I mean, come on, they make bike shorts.... But, these shoes make some sense. Now, given, I haven't run in them yet, but they are simple, stripped to the bone without a lot of stupid bells and whistles. The designs I saw had everything a running shoe needs, and nothing it doesn't. Early to say, but these may be interesting. And, no, I don't sell running shoes.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Pearl Izumi Running Shoes. [Tom Demerly] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've been trying to find out about these shoes. The owner of Fleet Feet in Sacramento told me about these shoes last week but he didn't have any on hand yet and the Pearl Izumi website, at least as of last Saturday had no info. Any photos/info on-line that you know of?
Quote Reply
Re: Pearl Izumi Running Shoes. [danielito] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was shown photos of the products by our cycling apparel rep on the condition that I did not show them to anyone else. He was careful not to leave us with any photos. Based on what I saw, however, there are the standard varieties: Motion control, lightweight trainer, trail shoe, etc. All of them looked very refined and elegant in that they weren't covered with a bunch of superfluous crap and ridiculous gadgets. There was an interesting triathlon specific running shoe without laces. Difficult to describe, but it had a one-pull closure system that wrapped around the entire foot. A "teaser" ad is scheduled for the March issue of Runner's World magazine, but the ad will not show the shoes.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It was the tri shoe that I heard about. My understanding was that it was very minimalist, more akin to a racing flat than a training shoe, and that it had a lacing syastem with a speed lock type fastener where the laces met in back. It sound intriguining. I guess we'll have to wait to find out more...
Quote Reply
Re: Pearl Izumi Running Shoes. [danielito] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is an accurate description of the tri shoe based on the photo I saw. The color was predominantely blue with white trim. It harkened slighty back to the Nike Sock Racer days.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I figure that if Peal Izumi is going to break into the running shoe market they definitely need something unique. It sounds like just that, if they are keeping the shoes free of all the crap that is so prevalent with today's batch of running shoes. I remember about 6 years ago being at an expo at a race where there was a rep from Saucony. He asked me if I had any questions and I asked why they quit making my favourite shoes. I had been running in their Jazz 4000 which was lightweight, flexible and curve lasted and was a great shoe for runners without motion control problems. They then changed to the Jazz 5000, then Grid Jazz and on and on adding more and more weight and crap to what was once a fabulous shoe for running. He didn't have an answer for me. Most shoe companies cater to the recreational joggers that like all of these extra features and I think that if Pearl Izumi comes out with some simple shoes and doesn't change them 3 times a year, they might get a loyal following.
Quote Reply
Re: Pearl Izumi Running Shoes. [Allan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Allan: Boy, I'll AMEN that sentiment! Anyone who has been running for more than 20 years knows exactly what you mean. Running manufacturers are simply building more "features" into running shoes so they can raise the price. All of them do it. A simple running shoe is impossible to find. Paying $120 for a pair of running shoes is ridiculous.

-Robert

"How wonderful it is that nobody need wait a single moment before starting to improve the world." ~Anne Frank
Quote Reply
Re: Pearl Izumi Running Shoes. [Robert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I remember seeing a picture of the Pearl Izumi shoes in a past issue of either Inside Triathlon or Triathlete magazines (print addition). I'm thinking IT because they were also previewing some of the other new high end toys (HED aerobar, Kona Coast Disc, etc) coming out for 2003. I'll post up later with the correct issue and month.

-Joe
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Chris Ward, our new Pearl Izumi outside sales rep. has agreed to get me a couple pairs of the new shoes as soon as samples are available. Although our store does not sell running shoes we will review these and post the review on our site.

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How's about the PI tri bike shoes? Are they available in the US? They haven't appeared in the UK yet to my knowledge.

"Language most shows a man: Speak, that I may see thee. It springs out of the most retired and inmost parts of us, and is the image of the parents of it, the mind. No glass so mirrors a man's form or likeness so true as his speech." - Ben Jonson, Timber, or Discoveries made upon Men and Matter.
Quote Reply
Re: Pearl Izumi Running Shoes. [GBJ] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have seen the samples but haven't seen the production shoes here in the store yet. April?

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Speaking of PI, will they be selling other triathlon clothing as well? I've always been a big fan of their shorts and still have some of their running shorts from a couple of years ago. I wouldn't mind seeing a skinsuit or tri-short from them.

Mark
Quote Reply
Re: Pearl Izumi Running Shoes. [fiddlesandbikes] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have had a pair of prototype PI trishorts and can report that they are very good. In particular the flat-lock stitching is excellent in that it is routed around the garment to optimize the stretch of the fabric and the fit. The pad is slightly larger and thicker than older Zoot or Rip N Hammer shorts so may be very well suited for longer events. I like them. They are scheduled to be in dealers in Spring of '03

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just received another updat from PI via e-mail. Prototypes due her in 1st week February. More later...

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom,

I am the PLM for run footwear at Pearl Izumi. Great to see such response to our shoes.

We really went for creating shoes that make sense for the foot and the runner. We got rid of the stuff that did not make sense and was not functional. The shoes are not out but you will start seeing ads and reviews in the coming months. The launch date will be May 1.

There will be 5 men's and 4 women's models, with wides and narrows in a few styles.

We did a triathlon specific shoe for Steve Larsen our sponsored athlete based on some of his feedback. It has a lacing system that is one design and secures in the rear of the shoe. We did a slipper like design for quick transitions, and a drilled bottom for breath ability and sweat drain for athletes not wearing socks.

Noah - Pearl Running PLM
Quote Reply
Re: Pearl Izumi Running Shoes. [runpearl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mr. Chris Ward, your new outside sales rep for our territory, gave me a detailed briefing on the shoes yesterday, most of which is seen here on this thread. I am very excited to try them. The tri shoe in particular looks very interesting. The feature that facilitates drainage is tailor made for the type of racing our customers (and all triathletes) do. That I am aware of, that is a first. I'm stoked!

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Re: Pearl Izumi Running Shoes. [runpearl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Noah,

As Groucho's triathlete brother, Scott, once said: "I never met a Pearl Izumi I didn't like" or words to that effect. In that spirit, let me offer my body to field test the prototype of what is bound to be a wonderful new product. I am running the Vancouver marathon on May 4, and since this is my first ever marathon, you can expect the stunning headline to read "PB Set Wearing PI Prototypes".

Yours in expectation of free shoes any day now...

TonyG

What is Enoch Root?
Quote Reply
Re: Pearl Izumi Running Shoes. [TonyG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
.... Hey, get to the back of the line buddy. My lips are chapped from kissin' butt for a pair, and this thread is testimony. OHHHH, I feel so dirty...

Tom Demerly
The Tri Shop.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tom,

Let's face it - your best times are behind you and your review will be one in a sea of many.

While my complete ignorance and lack of experience are strong...

Oh what the hell, I give, how can you argue against chapped lips?

TonyG

What is Enoch Root?
Quote Reply