Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Paulo says BQ times are for wimps
Quote | Reply
Guess I had better cancel all my reservations for 08 since Paulo says Boston is even more wimpy
than worlds. And when the coach speaks, we had better all listen. Smile

Dave

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Last edited by: h2ofun: Sep 8, 07 13:14
Quote Reply
Re: Paulo says BQ times are for whimps [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You better start another thread with:

Paulo says h2ofun is a self-centered, self-righteous prick.
Quote Reply
Re: Paulo says BQ times are for whimps [Paulo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Please start it yourself.

Dave

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Quote Reply
Re: Paulo says BQ times are for wimps [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It really is not that tough of a standard Dave. Guys that got their asses kicked in HS track are routinely BQ.

----------------------------------------------------
Striving to have sex more than 66 times per year
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's a question of reality. If in your reality a BQ time is a good result then thats all that matter.

Paulo is right in an athletic sense BQ times are slow. So is qualifying for Kona......but in a personal sense it's still a great achievement.

Andrew

http://www.theyogapod.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
he is right...

Jorge Martinez
Head Coach - Sports Science
E3 Training Solutions, LLC
@CoachJorgeM
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
boston Q times are definitly pedestrian even for a age grouper.... a few years of consistant running will get anyone there....

hawaii spot are a bit harder.... and required often more work and preparation(a few more year)

both are still great accomplishement!!!! both boston isnt a hard thing to qualify for if someone is committed...

Jonathan Caron / Professional Coach / ironman champions / age group world champions
Jonnyo Coaching
Instargram
Quote Reply
Re: Paulo says BQ times are for wimps [jonnyo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
And has the genetics.

This is the piece that so many on ST, IMO, just do not seem to get. Many here are very lucky,
and take speed, times, etc. for granted, IMO. Just go to any large race. Why are they only a few great times?
Because the others are not committed? They do not work hard?

The first thing I look for in someone who is great, is are they humble. This trait is better than any
first place finish.

Oh well, when I am walking with all the folks who I have gathered for the marathon in Dec, and we do it in 6 hours,
I will be sure to tell each one of them from ST that they are all just wimps. But, their smiles when they have that
25 year medal on with be worth a million bucks.

Dave

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Let me tell you this: You might have placed 41st at Worlds, but when it comes to being humble you're a WORLD CHAMPION.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dave..... in long, genetic dosnt play much of a role in qualifying for boston in most case.... to get you down to sub 2:15 marathon...yes, it might.... but to make it to boston, it s commitement.... but a lot of people dont really know what commitement mean.... it s very complex and as many dimension. So i large, i would say most people that say are commited arent really......

what is the part about humble and first place? we arent talking about winning are we? we are talking about making to to boston...why do you look for someone humble????

Jonathan Caron / Professional Coach / ironman champions / age group world champions
Jonnyo Coaching
Instargram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thinking about your comment about commitment, okay, I see where you are coming from. Yes, I see very very few
folks who are committed to getting better at the level I think you are talking about. (As an example, there is
not one person in my masters that comes close to my commitment of 5 days a week for the last year.)

But, IMO, I do not look at it this way. I just try to support folks to be the best they can be based on having a life.
I know I do not have much of a life anymore, but I race well. Is it worth it?

I like to be around humble people who do not put down others for their definition of slow, or even commitment thinking about it.
I just try to always be supportive no matter what their goals are, or their race results, or even their "commitment".
I just try to get them off their butts as much as I can to try and exercise. I sure do not want them to be the Type A
about racing that I am!!!

When I look at the CIM that I have done the last few years, and what percentage qualify for Boston, it sure is small.
Why, does not matter to me. I just know lots would love to have my BQ time. I just try to support them to say if they
train all year round like I do, they could do it too.

Let me give you another example of being Humble. I would never cut someone down for ANY results they got. Whether it be Boston,
IMH, or Worlds. But why a few on ST just seem to enjoy cutting others down on anything they think is below their standards just
amazes me.

Oh well, hope we can help Dan with hits on this thread. I was gone too long so wanted to see how folks tapers went while I was out.
Did you miss me? Smile

Dave

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
humble: not proud or arrogant; modest

Dave,
With all due respect, there is nobody on this forum that talks about themselves and brags about their accomplishments more than you do.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you are just totaly focused on BQ and that is all you do in life then maybe a large % will qualify. You will though have a lot of people no matter how hard they try that will never come close to qualifying. I have ran 15 marathons and only qualified once. I did try pretty hard on some of those. Several times coming within a few minutes. I got pretty lucky on the race I did qualify in as the weather was really cold and it was a flat course. So for my as an average runner the BQ time is something that is special and hard to achieve. I know a lot of my average runner friends who dream of one day running in boston. I guess that is how a lot of people here dream of going to Kona.

Yea the BQ times are pedestrian for the top age groupers but not for the average age groupers. Just as a 10 hour IM finish is probably slow to you pros.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I agree Dave. I very much enjoy being around people that are hard working in all aspects of life. For most (I would hope), family comes first, then work, etc. They just seem more complete and honest to me (if that makes any sense). If racing is your life or you are "committed" as jonnyo (what else does he do?), then yes, a BQ time is relatively pedestrian. Actually, jonnyo, like Gordo, are very good examples of what a committed person can accomplish with years of hard work. Impressive!

But again, Slowtwitch is definitely NOT the norm. I'd say the current BQ times (except for women - I think 30 mins over the same male AG is a little too much) are just about right for the average runner. A 3:10 up to age 35 is not "easy" for sure, but certainly attainable with a good base and specific prep. But I've also seen plenty of good runners miss by just a little if something doesn't go right. I'm sure the Boston Athletic Association thought pretty long and hard and combed over lots of data when they came up with their qualification stds. (and that was back when avg times were MUCH faster). I've only ran Boston twice, but I've been there 6 times (twice with my father and twice as a medical volunteer) and the race has definitely changed since about 1999 or so - same as Kona I'm sure.

Re: Paulo says BQ times are for wimps [Hanaki] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i think we agree.... i dont think it s easy and congrat you for making it ..... but like you said, if you commit to it, it s very in reach. the point is many wont necessarly commit because of so many other things in life that are in the way and more important. But the simple facto of running the time standar is in reach of you if you make it a priority. It dosnt matter to try hard in the race, the qualification happen in training...the race is only the confirmation of it.

anyway, i m sorry if some people think i look down on this... i dont at all, I would like to say that anyone that really want it can do it.... but it will take a lot of hard work....... after all, the goal of boston and kona is to get a part of the runners...not all of them.....

if it was easy, everyone would do it and it would not be special.....

Jonnyo Coaching
Instargram
Quote Reply
Re: Paulo says BQ times are for wimps [kdw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just show me one post where I ever bragged!! Now, since lots of folks do race reports, and talk about times,
I sure do not see this as bragging. Folks talking about getting to IMH, is not bragging. Now, if I talked about
what I have done, and said it was really easy and anyone could do, then yep, I would call this bragging!!

So, give me your definition of bragging?

Also, I would never judge anyone based on Emails.

I bet Paulo is a real nice person. I hope to met him some day and find out first hand.

Dave

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just show me one post where I ever bragged!!

That's easy...just click on your name and then the "Show user's posts" button

Forget speedwork. Speedwork is the icing on the cake and you don't have a cake yet. - MattinSF

Basically they have 9 tenants, live life to the fullest, do not turn the cheak, and embrace the 7 deadly since. - TheForge (on satanists)
Quote Reply
Re: Paulo says BQ times are for wimps [rroof] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Your comments are right on. I was just thinking about this thread and it has only been the last year that my family life has taken a back seat that I can
even consider training as much as I do. (How folks even consider this sport while kids are at home is something I could never have done! Doing things
with my entire family, having my kids as first and only priority, is all I did until they went to college.)

I know I have even put training over my job, which may get me one of these days. I figure I can always work, but one does not have their age,
and health forever.

I know that commitment will not make success for all. I know at Masters there are folks who have swam for years and years, and close to the number
of days I do, and are not very happy to see my up in the middle lanes within such a short amount of time. I make sure I tell him that do not judge
by times. We were all born with different strengths, and just keeping in shape is more important than any race time.

Bottom line is I would NEVER say to anyone that anything is easy!!!!!!! And, I do not judge anyone by a time or finishing place. I support all folks in life,
whether they are "first" or "last", based on our society judgments. Anyone who starts with me at a race is the winner in my book, whether they are in
front of me or behind. Who cares, we are all there having a good time!!!

Dave

Quote Reply
Re: Paulo says BQ times are for wimps [Lazy Ben] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So, anyone who has equal of more posts than me is a bragger.
Guess I am in great company then.

Thanks
Dave

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They should have left it at 2:50 for open men and then adjust for master's. I'm not sure where to start for women. 3:10 maybe? I don't know.
Quote Reply
Re: Paulo says BQ times are for wimps [Lazy Ben] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In Reply To:

That's easy...just click on your name and then the "Show user's posts" button

One step too many. You don't even need to make that 2nd click.

Actually, I haven't read enough of h20fun's posts to know whether or not he is a braggart, but I did find that funny.

(This post was edited by jaylew on Sep 8, 07 15:04)

Ok, now I have after reading this whole thread :)
Last edited by: jaylew: Sep 8, 07 21:32
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Hard to find one where you don't. Just because you make a weak attempt to disguise it, doesn't mean you actually fool anyone. That is exactly why you "get picked on". If you'd just be straight about your "look at me" posts, it would be mush less nauseating.

---------------------------------------
Awww, Katy's not all THAT evil. Only slightly evil. In a good way. - JasoninHalifax

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not to take anything away from the achievement, but I found it interesting that a few years ago they RELAXED the qualifying standards for Boston. Seemed odd. More and more people are running marathons. Training information is wide spread. There is a coach on every corner. Running shoes are better - same for other training gear. Yet on the whole, everyone is on average running slower!

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Paulo says BQ times are for wimps [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Steve, totally agree. They lowered the standards because not enough folks were qualifying.

Yep, our whole society is slower, and more lazy. Just look at the IMH times. Why are they slower
than Dave Scott or Mark Allen when we have all these new training tools, food, etc?

Just walk down any US street and see all the fat people. Yep, getting slower.

Now, while in germany, I saw very very few fat people. Now, they all seemed to smoke,
so we will die for being fat, they will die from lung cancer.

I am not saying Boston is good or bad or easy or tough. It was just a goal of mine, line many other
normal blue collar racers. So, yep, I am proud of what I have done, and the folks I know think it is great.
Now, ST folks are the corner case and compared to them, I am dog meat.

So again, one can judge others by there abilities, or judge others by our total society.
Anyone who gets to Boston in my book, even with the slower qual times, is a stud!!!

Dave

Quote Reply
Re: Paulo says BQ times are for wimps [Katy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yup, fraid they're right Dave. We have seen about 10,000+ posts about Worlds from you in the past 6 months (as an example of disguising)...

----------
"...it should be swim, bike, run, cage fight." - el fuser
"I noticed that I am in your sig line! Wow! That's s first for me. Thanks." - Fleck
Quote Reply

Prev Next